PDA

View Full Version : Have you been Scammed By Free PSP/Ipod/Xbox360 etc Sites

wraggster
August 11th, 2005, 22:18
The internet is now a place that has born a new menace that the Legal system needs to address, theres been a steady growth in the rise of sites that are riping people off claiming you can get FREE PSPS and Ipods etc but in reality you are on a Pyramid scheme and maybe one or two will get lucky after the signing up but in reality a lot of you will never get anything and pay a major amount more than the cost of the PSP etc.

These people are basically using those who are too poor or who dont read every single bit of legal information that they sign up to.

Im sure you know that one PSP scene site has shamelessly opened a FREE PSP site which its members and indeed its very own unpaid forum staff are having to put up with all in the name of the site needs more cash to pay its staff etc.

If Free psps and ipods were so easy to get and a painless journey i myself would post how to do it and help all those who cant afford to buy one for whatever reason.

SO what im saying is please dont be fooled and dont sign up for stuff just because your favourite news site (who want your cash) are saying so.

A message to all PSP sites, Respect the people who visit you.

Reply to this article and post your horror storys.

brain_stew
August 11th, 2005, 22:38
As a few of you may notice, I am one of the mods over at pspupdates.com and I've got to say no one is as pissed at this as me. They have claimed that they are losing $500 a day but I find this hard to believe with the amount of popups a non premium member is baraged with. Basically, I'm a bit sick of pspupdates and I think I'll start hanging out over here a bit more, because atleast I know you guys are in it for the benefit of the scene. Well, there's my rant over but lets just say I'm not the only mod angry at this; everyone single one of us have shown our disgust at this.

Cap'n 1time
August 11th, 2005, 22:40
As a few of you may notice, I am one of the mods over at pspupdates.com and I've got to say no one is as pissed at this as me. They have claimed that they are losing $500 a day but I find this hard to believe with the amount of popups a non premium member is baraged with. Basically, I'm a bit sick of pspupdates and I think I'll start hanging out over here a bit more, because atleast I know you guys are in it for the benefit of the scene. Well, there's my rant over but lets just say I'm not the only mod angry at this; everyone single one of us have shown our disgust at this.

youve got to be shitting me :eek:

well.. it seems decent people are left in the world after all. This is, without a doubt the greatest console homebrew forum (imo.. which is all that counts) so welcome and enjoy :)

wraggster
August 11th, 2005, 22:44
Yeah i want to clarify something

I have nothing against the good members and unpaid forum staff of PSPUpdates but i cant stand idly by and let you all be taken the piss out of without saying my peace, if they left the Homebrew and emulation scene then i coudnt care less but you dont disrepect the scene and your members.

wraggster
August 11th, 2005, 22:47
Theres no way on earth they are losing 500 dollars a day

no hosting package on earth costs that much

brain_stew
August 11th, 2005, 22:55
Theres no way on earth they are losing 500 dollars a day

no hosting package on earth costs that much

Well, I have to agree I don't expect the admin to lie to me but I think they are and it pisses me off. What annoyed me more than anything was the fact that us mods were given no warning of it at all, I mean just the day before I was deleting referral links and bam! Out of nowhere comes the final straw. :( If they kick me off the mod staff for slandering the site I don't really care, if you want to check out my comments over there on the subject you can. I've been into emulation for quite a while and originally saw psphacker as a good place to help get other people setup and enjoying homebrew and it was but its all about the money now and sadly I think it always has been, I just never noticed it as much before. Now, what pisses me and I'm sure the premium members off alot is the fact that every damn news post has a link to the free PSP site. The damn premiumers paid to get rid of ads and then they get stuck with this, it sucks big time.

p4ch3c0
August 11th, 2005, 22:56
Heh. They are now 'giving away' 'free' iPods. Also, on every news post, they added a link saying "Get a PSP PlayStation Portable from us Totally FREE".

I can't believe that a site I used to support and defend turned out to be completely full of shit from day one.

brain_stew
August 11th, 2005, 22:58
Heh. They are now 'giving away' 'free' iPods. Also, on every news post, they added a link saying "Get a PSP PlayStation Portable from us Totally FREE".

I can't believe that a site I used to support and defend turned out to be completely full of shit from day one.

Heh, atleast you never spent a hell of a lot of hours making the forums and that place great, only for all your work to be undone by money hungry dicks.

p4ch3c0
August 11th, 2005, 23:01
I believe that's the same reason that m.e left and made his own site (http://www.pspnewz.net/).

wraggster
August 11th, 2005, 23:24
He made a massive mistake by selling the PSPHacker domain

brain_stew
August 11th, 2005, 23:28

I don't think they did, www.psphacker.com still brings you to pspupdates.

FrozenIpaq
August 11th, 2005, 23:37
It's not a scam!!

Please, tell me how this is a scam, you sign up and get a PSP, no scam there. Just read the rants on the PSPU forum, there are many, they all have been answered by knowledgable peeps.

ganon
August 11th, 2005, 23:46
so how many psps u got with this?

EvilDragon
August 11th, 2005, 23:55
They told you they make -500 US$ per day???
Crap!

Most traffic they have is the file archive... they had 4503 GB (4,5 TB) downloads since they opened it (that was on 18/05/05).
That's under 1 TB a month, and I pay for my dedicated server (on which I run my file archive sites) 100 US$ A MONTH, and that includes 5TB traffic...

What crappy liars! (Well, I stated this a few weeks before, but my posts were deleted).

And FrozenIpaq: It is scam.
Only the first few get the stuff, to tell everybody it works (like you), and the rest will never even get one.
It's not the first time this happens and for sure not one of the glorious heroic ideas PSPUpdates had (a lot of guys made a fortune with schemes like that before).

p4ch3c0
August 11th, 2005, 23:56
It's not a scam!!

Please, tell me how this is a scam, you sign up and get a PSP, no scam there. Just read the rants on the PSPU forum, there are many, they all have been answered by knowledgable peeps.

My rants (http://www.pspupdates.com/forum/showthread.php?p=108740) haven't been knowledgeably answered.

Yes, I am 0x3070337570346, which is p4ch3c0 backwards, encoded using ROT13, and in hexadecimal (using their ASCII values).

Keith
August 12th, 2005, 00:00
Exactly not only do they get money for the offers you complete from the advertisers but they also sell your personal information to 3rd party companies for more money. It's all about the cash money and not about breaking even to pay for server bills. This site (DCEmu.co.uk) as well as all the other networked sites on Martin's multiple servers is mostly paid for with simple google ads. No popups, and no need for schemes like this. You know they are making a boat loads of money. :P

Cap'n 1time
August 12th, 2005, 00:14
My rants (http://www.pspupdates.com/forum/showthread.php?p=108740) haven't been knowledgeably answered.

Yes, I am 0x3070337570346, which is p4ch3c0 backwards, encoded using ROT13, and in hexadecimal (using their ASCII values).

man.. im sure everyone would have guessed that :p

p4ch3c0
August 12th, 2005, 01:20
Heh, I got banned again. ipconfig /renew

FrozenIpaq
August 12th, 2005, 01:31
Heh, I got banned again. ipconfig /renew

For obvious reasons, and if we see you again, we will ban you again. Having multiple accounts is against the forum policy over at PSPU. ipconfig /renew does not work if you have a static IP (me). I would suggest not going to PSPU if you don't like it, just go to other sites, but none offer the kind of service (24/7 news and almost 24/7 forum moderation).

MSX
August 12th, 2005, 01:35
As much as I hate to say it, these sitse aren't as bad as pyramid schemes...you don't pay and then wait for 50 people to sign up and pay to get yours, just do an offer, find 5 people to sign up and do an offer, and you're done. It's harder than it sounds, but I've gotten a free 20GB iPod, 30GB iPod Photo (which I traded for a sealed PSP, 3 sealed games, a 256MB ms, and a pelican screen protector :D), a slimline PS2, a 1GB iPod Shuffle, and an iSkin eVo 2 for my iPod, which is the biggest ****ing dust magnet I've seen in my life, so I stopped using it and traded with my 30GB iPod for the PSP package.

Try to stick to more well-known sites run by multi-million dollar companies, like gratisnetwork.com, and you're good to go. Sites run by indie owners most of the time flop, or the owner takes off with all the money from the ad publishing companies and leaves the users behind.

The only reason PSPmoneyleechingwhores is running sites like these are for more cash, which they can't get enough of, whores. I don't mind the forums, but the main site, the idea of premium members, and the owner(s?) of it make me sick.

Oh, and owners of PSPupdates, here's what I have to say to you:
http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/4130/eatshit5ol.jpg

Cap'n 1time
August 12th, 2005, 01:41
For obvious reasons, and if we see you again, we will ban you again. Having multiple accounts is against the forum policy over at PSPU. ipconfig /renew does not work if you have a static IP (me). I would suggest not going to PSPU if you don't like it, just go to other sites, but none offer the kind of service (24/7 news and almost 24/7 forum moderation).

*cough cough* proxy *cough* cough*

dont bother going back anyways... youve made your point there.. and there isnt many mind you can chang by doing things like that anyways..

Smiths
August 12th, 2005, 02:54
That was a fun read, thanks! :)

I don't like the volunteer forum guys jumping on the "Defend the **** out of the assholes" thing.
I really wish Malumense especially would step back and stop thinking he really is "part of the team".

It's been proven over and over and over and over: they don't give a shit about the forum and moderators to them are a dime a dozen. You mean nothing to the "power trio" (and don't think Jeff Chen is anything but their 'funny language reader guy').

It's 3 guys from Oregon who saw a rising development and jumped on it. They've never participated in anything homebrew remotely EVER, and to their SHOCK.... GASP the wave dies down!

So now with a dead wave of releases what do they do?
Steal more IGN news (not even snippets.. FULL STORIES AND ALL IMAGES) and begin offering FREE IPOD FREE XBOX360 FREE RUBBER CHICKENS etc to try and make you still go "hey, they are a good site for all the news!"

Forum mods: we are not attacking you in anyway. As stated by basically every dev and homebrew site staff member who has slagged P$PUpdate$: this has nothing to do with the forum and its registered users... it is only about the main site.

How many times have you admins requested the "SEARCH" button be on the main page in big letters? Just from random browsing there you can see it's been asked many times.

Do the "admins" do it? hell no. But what is in RED all the time? BE A PREMIUM MEMBER GIVE US $$$$

I feel bad for MalumEnSe at this point.. It's like Nazi soldiers having to "just follow orders".

Hello? It don't make it RIGHT.

And what's funnier in that thread is people claiming P$PUpdate$ will become an IGN
That makes me ****in laugh, especially since I worked for IGN and we used to see these kinds of sites and "networks" come and go constantly.

I love Malum's claim of "Relationships with devs". That's not difficult to do, you ****ing morons. You send an e-mail to the "PR" address, mention your site and traffic, and they send you shit. WOW! What a ****ing concept!
And I love how they claim Rockstar is in good with them; anyone remember P$PHacker posting the scans of GTA and being told to remove them?
0-$ec!!!! 0-$ec!!!

It proves you don't need an education to become a forum moderator or siteop, or to even be on the internet.

Plus I love how I'm the "one" dev who hates P$PUpdate$.
If that was so the best SNES emulator for PSP wouldn't have a mandatory splash screen that is targeted 100% at P$PUpdate$, lantus wouldn't have said "**** you" in a readme (for what? his second release? didn't take long for him).

Just wait, it'll get worse before it gets better... and they won't be around.

And using Alexa to prove traffic means jack shit. It means more retards with crappy browser plugins using IE go to P$PUpdate$ than other sites.

Wow, that's a statistic I want to flaunt.

FrozenIpaq
August 12th, 2005, 03:04
I wish not to argue over this topic anymore, you guys obviously have your minds made up and I've known that for some time. I have a great education, and I must leave and go to that education work that I must complete. You can argue amongst yourselves, I was just trying to add some spice and some truth to the arguments. I wish I could help out more on every place I visit, but with school work and with moderator duties over at PSPU, I can't be everywhere at once.

So, thanks all for the discussion and please join the PSPupdates forums, they are much better in behavoir and helpfulness than your views of the main site ;)

Ok, off to more work, man, I got sidetracked :eek:

Cap'n 1time
August 12th, 2005, 03:08
Ok, off to more work, man, I got sidetracked :eek:

ok, well good luck! dont violate any copyright, plagerisim or IP laws while your away!

MASSACRE
August 12th, 2005, 03:12
Smiths, nice message. It could use a little sophistocated vocabulary instead of "****ing" every sentance, a little less of a spiteful tone, and less character attacking though. rants full of hate accomplish nothing if on other sites. repost this on pspupdates or clean it up.

Cap'n 1time
August 12th, 2005, 03:16
Smiths, nice message. It could use a little sophistocated vocabulary instead of "****ing" every sentance, a little less of a spiteful tone, and less character attacking though. rants full of hate accomplish nothing if on other sites. repost this on pspupdates or clean it up.

I'm sorry.. it seems that you are demanding another user in a forum you arnt even part of to do somthing... well I tell you what. If smiths does clean up his post, just because you told him to, you have to take images of yourself in a dress and post them all over the internet? sound reasonable to you? i think not.

and if you dont appreciate his sophisitcated language.. I can take what he said and butcher it with my bag grammer, as well as my horrible spelling. however it wont loose any meaning now will it?

MASSACRE
August 12th, 2005, 03:17
forgive me for sounding forceful, i humbly apologize. i didn't mean to come across as such in my hastily put together post.

Cap'n 1time
August 12th, 2005, 03:24
forgive me for sounding forceful, i humbly apologize. i didn't mean to come across as such in my hastily put together post.

ooooooooooh no, your not getting off that easy.. I want to see pictures of you in a dress.

MASSACRE
August 12th, 2005, 03:30
that's cruel. i was tempted to find a picture of a guy in a dress and edit it to deface pspupdates in some humerous way but i don't even know how to put pictures on this complicated message board :P

Cap'n 1time
August 12th, 2005, 03:32
that's cruel. i was tempted to find a picture of a guy in a dress and edit it to deface pspupdates in some humerous way but i don't even know how to put pictures on this complicated message board :P

host it somewhere and directly link it with these without the quotes around it " "

Keith
August 12th, 2005, 03:35
just go to other sites, but none offer the kind of service (24/7 news and almost 24/7 forum moderation).

And that is special because? .. Just because you have people able to post news 24/7 and moderate the forums 24/7 doesn't make ones sites service any better then another.

FrozenIpaq
August 12th, 2005, 03:46
And that is special because? .. Just because you have people able to post news 24/7 and moderate the forums 24/7 doesn't make ones sites service any better then another.

Well, the forums are not moderated 24/7, but close. It's "special" because you can get help (on the fourms) almost any time of day and I know that I always look for the most up-to-date sites so that I can stay one step ahead of everyone else and help them. I'm not saying that this site isn't special, but PSPU just seems to offer more, but that more stuff, comes at a price :( What does make a site special? It's the people in my opinion, and the people who post the news are very friendly, Clay even made a Hombrew FAQ that we now direct all the "noobs" to, and even adds humore to news posts at times. It's all a personal opinion about wheter one site is good or not, I try not to have opinionative discussion, and thus must get back to work.

I have nothing against DC EMU except the offensive statements against another site that has done nothing to deserve them, just trying to run a business.

Peace All, back to writting :(

Cap'n 1time
August 12th, 2005, 03:48
well.. how difficult is it to get a forum checked 24/7?

lets see. Find some admins from North America, and find some admins from Europe.. then find a few insomniacs. I would say this site is moderated 24/7, but i cant back that up.

Smiths
August 12th, 2005, 03:52
no site needs to be 24/7.

When I was doing the news reporting back in the day (while our current "top $ite editor$ were in Junior High probably), IGN only updated once in the evening. I went from a "24/7" site to work for them, and it turns out: people wait for real news.

Nothing is happening that is so groundbreaking you need to "Staff a business" 24/7.

They aren't a business in any way. I want pictures of P$PUpdate$ groundbreaking architecture for their state-of-the-art in-the-red corporate headquarters.

When half the users of said site are accessing from their parent's basement or a dorm room, arguing with people who work full-time jobs and code/update on sparetime about "proper scene" shit.

MSX
August 12th, 2005, 03:54
It seems like some moderator from PSPupdates is brainwashed by the owners of it, but I won't say who.

Also, I'm with 1timeuser on the demand of MASSACRE in a dress....smiths got his point across, straight and simple.

HelloWorld
August 12th, 2005, 03:58
I have nothing against DC EMU except the offensive statements against another site that has done nothing to deserve them, just trying to run a business.

OMG!!! FrozenIpaq just called PSPU a BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW I also think the mods of PSPU are being brainwashed.

FrozenIpaq
August 12th, 2005, 04:07
OMG!!! FrozenIpaq just called PSPU a BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW I also think the mods of PSPU are being brainwashed.

Brainwashed..no..

This will be my very last comment on the issue. We moderators think what we want, we all disagree with the recent events, but we still support the site. Brainwashed is overexagerating the issue at hand, we are sole indivduals, we think what we want. This is my opinion, and my opinoin only, other moderators share different opinions. We are definetly not brainwashed, we volunter our time on the forums, its not nice when you see someone talking bs about a site that you help out on, and a site that they hardly know. None of the admins have brainwashed me...I have my own opinion, I just don't like it when you talk bad about another site..that's flaming in a way, something that is not accpeted ammong many communites. As I stated above: PSPU has done no harm to DC Emu and they don't plan on it, so why do you flame them? Is it because they are better than you?

Once again: This is an opinonative conversation and there is no use in arguing about something that will go back and forth.

Please, just stop the arguing and for the last time: I am not brainwashed, sure it may look like I am, but I am doing this out of my own time for a site that I have worked hard on and have helped many.

For the final time: Peace :cool: Keep these forums clean, and do not flame others based on opinionative statements!!

woo
August 12th, 2005, 04:40
but none offer the kind of service (24/7 news and almost 24/7 forum moderation).

It's a shame that our very own Superstar, Wraggster, has been getting homebrew news out BEFORE that low-life site has ;) It seems for some that 24 hours isn't enough in a day ;)

Smiths
August 12th, 2005, 04:48
Ya know I am enjoying this little thread here so I think it should keep going since I'm sure judging by lurker counts there are others getting a little "Education" via this topic.

This has nothing to with DCEmu vs. P$PUpdate$. While it was wraggy who posted it and started it, he does so on behalf of many who simply chat about this on IRC or mention topics elsewhere.

It's not a case of "P$PUpdate$ has done nothing to DCEmu", it's 100% a case of what P$PUpdate$ is doing to the entire community, and it needs to unfortunately be constantly addressed.

To those who feel this accomplishes nothing, I tend to disagree.
P$PUpdate$ began citing properly after outcries such as these
You seen loader news out the wazoo on the $ite recently? No. And there have been several updates to loaders.
As much as CancerClay wishes to pretend he's "above the community", he knows in the end its simple homebrew/emulation fans that drive a lot of what is going on with the PSP right now.

If people want game reviews and news, they go to IGN or Gamespot: the real sources.

P$PUpdate$ exploited the homebrew community to build a base and now they are seeing the well dry up as the development is in another rest period.

I personally have not looked at a piece of code for some time (pretty busy with a new kitten (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/gbatools/boy1.jpg) someone abandoned on my doorstep, and Final Fantasy IX again).
Such is the cycle of homebrew. A developer works on a project, it reaches a level of satisfaction, development halts a bit so life can resume.
To try and run a "business" based on that is batshit insane.

And **** my language and toning it down. I couldn't care less (plus I think the censoring is fun to **** with). I couldn't post any of this on their boards anyway for three reasons:
1) I'm globally IP banned from the entire 'network' and have been for months on end (and not dealing with a proxy to post)
2) Like I've said, I have nothing against the forums there except for the asskissing the volunteer admins are doing currently in defending practices the site admins don't defend themselves except with lies about co$t$ and $erver$
3) It would be deleted anyway, since it's from me :)

This is more fun here, and I must be blunt in saying I used to dislike wraggy's network of ad-bloated sites, thinking the layout was horrid and it was a pain to find the actual files (since changed). It's because of that $hit $ite's existence that I have found out more about this site and many others in the homebrew scene and have found a great community of intelligent people who have "Been around the block".

So while they may be "Good" for raping users of $$$ and lying to them about "expenses" and "business costs" (college people believe anything, I know.. I used to be one of them), they are also effective in uniting developers and reminding them just what a "scene cancer" is.

This is fun!

PlayingKarrde
August 12th, 2005, 05:10
Isn't this site about PSP emulation news? Why is there such an influx of news about other PSP websites? Why not just keep this sort of stuff to posting on the message board rather tha bloat the news page with the bashing of other sites?

I don't visit any other PSP websites because this one serves all my needs for emulation news, and I can understand that you may feel that users might need to know that people are scamming others (although that seems like it could be a subjective point of view), but isn't the news page for objective news postings, rather than opinions on other websites?

That's just my feeling anyway. This site used to be all about the emulation scene, not a pool of arguments and attacking other sites. Can't it be like that again?

Keith
August 12th, 2005, 05:21
Smiths has a point when he said ..

"I have found out more about this site and many others in the homebrew scene and have found a great community of intelligent people who have "Been around the block"."

For example me personally I have been running an Emulation site for over 5 years now and have interacted with many developers along the way. It is very rare that a developer would want to associate with a site that is in it for the money rather then the community. The reason they don't speak up publicaly is because they don't want to get involved and stuck in the middle. I personaly don't blame them one bit, but this doesn't stop them from speaking up privately.

As it has been said before the developers don't want their projects posted between news that deals with stuff like loaders that are bit iffy when it comes to it's legality. The developers care a lot about the community and the sites that represent it tastefully. They couldn't care less if PSPUpdates was here today and gone tomorrow.

I understand you are proud of your community at PSPUpdates and I wouldn't knock you for that but as it has been stressed many times the complaints come from the main site and the actual people running the site.

It is sad enough that many of us had to educate Clay and many of their posters on proper "News Posting Etiquette". Before people like us spoke up they were basically tricking people into thinking these homebrew projects were coming from PSPUpdates rather then the developers themselves. They also posted wrong developer names for projects, illegal stuff, wrong change logs, and also had a huge problem giving proper credits. They were obviously (and tend to still come off once awhile) new to all of this. Personally if I was running a "Business" as it has been said many times I would get professional news posters. The lack of professionalism will not take the site to the level of IGN, GameSpot or other such sites.

The majority of people that do go to PSPUdates is for the homebrew and it's popularity is/was built on homebrew exclusivly. There is no denying this fact. Homebrew is still the backbone of PSPUpdates and if it was all removed there would be a drastic loss in activity. So this is where the whole arguement of PSPUpdates profiting off of homebrew comes from. I highly doubt people come to PSPUpdates exclusivly for IGN, or other source news. It is very rare to see Exclusive news coming from PSPUpdates which also falls under the arguement that PSPUpdates is profiting off of homebrew because it's the sites main content that people want.

It's not about being jealous because of the amount of traffic one site might have over another. Traffic does not equal greatness or respect. You could have a ton of visitors and still have a crap site. I am not calling PSPUpdates crap in anyway I am just saying you can not judge one site solely on their traffic numbers. I personally find PSPUpdates to be a mess from a designer standpoint and the usability of their file system is lacking. There is many aspects of the site that can make it great. just because a site is capable of posting news 24/7 doesn't always equal quick news or even better news for the matter. Because the news that PSPUpdates posts is freely available from the original sources (developers) by anyone including wraggster it doesn't make PSPUpdates anymore special then DCEmu when it comes to it's news.

The one major difference I see is the developer involvement on DCEmu that makes it stand out above the rest. Not only do we get to interact with the developers here on the forums we also get exclusive information that comes from DCEmu that some other forums such as PSPUpdates does not get. There is a reason developers do not flock to PSPUpdates and it is not because of the community there .. it's because of what that site represents.

m.e
August 12th, 2005, 10:03

I sure did. If I had known then, what I know now I would have never sold the PSPHacker site to them. I was promised by them that I would still have a big say in how the site would be run. That was a complete lie and when I started my new site (http://www.pspnewz.net) I was banned from the forum as well.

monkeymaximus
August 12th, 2005, 12:30
I thought I just thought they were jackasses...

I actually run pspbrew.com I made a Custom Pack Generator (thats all it was... not a site yet, just a single page) and when I tried to submit it to them for news, they said I can make it either exclusive only for them or they wont put it in the news. I obviously declined as I didnt make this for them to prosper, I made this for the psp scene. Then I got an email from clay saying and i quote "Ok, can you tell me a bit more about how the software works on your
pspbrew? Please be as detailed as possible." Remember this is after I sent a page going over exactly what it does (just no EXACT technicals). I didnt answer that BS for sure.

After that I was basically told that I dont have a chance as they get 10000 hits a day and the only way anyone is ever going to see my generator is through them. So obviously I decided to say **** ***. And thats why i have been creating my own site.

It may be tough to get it known but atleast now i can keep people from being pummeled to death with ads, and actually make a site that people WANT to be loyal to and moves the scene forward rather than being like them.

Tetsuo
August 12th, 2005, 12:58
OMG :eek: I always tought that it was fake. Free psp, xbox360, enz. I feel sorry for the fools who bought it.
And if there are people who didnt know, this forum is the best of ALL. :D
For my Dreamcast and PSP this is the best forum 2 go to.

THNX DUDES

Nadeiko
August 12th, 2005, 13:34
It is very sad to see how pspupdates turns out. Every day we at emunoobs and other people recognize more and more questionable actions from Clay & Friends.

That whole page has just been created to fraud people (yes: FRAUD). Brainless moderators still try to cover their actions. Can anyone imagine how much money they create?

* Premium Members
* Dozens of ads + google ads
* Popups
* Hidden product advertisement

We at emunoobs pointed it out several times. Most people who support them think they run a community service, but it is just plain hard money making. No respect for developers (has been worse in the past than now, to admit). They even misuse their "sponsors" to create money, which is the worst I have ever seen. Several people pointed Lik-Sang at their partners and their strategies. Obviously Lik-Sang is earning so well with them too, that they just accept that and refuse to take any action. A close friend got the reply (rewrote from my head) "We just have advertisement activities with them and do not want to enter a war". Same applies to Google-Ads. They are violating at least three of the contract rules and still have those ads. Everyone is making money with them and they are making money too. This is a devilish circle which nobody will stop as long as there is profit involved.

Keith
August 12th, 2005, 14:13
*Keef pokes Nadeiko in the eye :P

Glad to see you on the forums. :)

EvilDragon
August 12th, 2005, 15:25
Okay... glad to finally see a time where more and more don't like the fact the PSPU is a business and making money from devs. Good.

But what can we do about it?
It's hopeless to wait for something and moan around... it's all going in circles and that's it.

I'm not that well-known in the PSP-scene (only in GP32-scene), most probably because I only have a file archive (www.psparchive.de) running without any newssite (like the combination I have with gp32x.com and gp32x.de).
hando (from gp32x.com) wanted to setup a newssite - but didn't have the time.
Oh well. ;) If there is any newssite which still needs a decent file archive, just PM me ;) (every site can include a "recent files" or "top downloads" list from my archive with direct links anywhere on their page if they want... head over to www.gp32x.com and look to the right how it could look like).

Anyways, back to the topic.
I know here are some guys pretty well-known by psp-devs. And even most here don't care if the news is 3 minutes or 3 hours old, PSPU certainly does.

If we could get some of the major devs to offer their new releases on ANY other newssite than PSPU first and state in the readme, that the latest news about their projects can always be found there, PSPU COULD lose one thing they're most proud of... being the fastest (which they often aren't, but that's why the statement in the readme is for).

It's not typical homebrew-style, I know... I also wouldn't want to do this... but does anyone have any other ideas?

nexis2600
August 12th, 2005, 18:32
For example me personally I have been running an Emulation site for over 5 years now and have interacted with many developers along the way. It is very rare that a developer would want to associate with a site that is in it for the money rather then the community. The reason they don't speak up publicaly is because they don't want to get involved and stuck in the middle. I personaly don't blame them one bit, but this doesn't stop them from speaking up privately.

You are sOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo right on the money with that. Wraggster knows my feelings about pspupdates. I just dont jump into the war (like smiths did) because i am not about to let people who follow my project suffer. Tis sad :(

-=Shadow=-
August 12th, 2005, 20:27
*Sigh*

O for a Firefox user with the ability to use AD-Block.

It is the most useful invention for any site with an annoying amount of Ads esp. somewhere like P$Pupdates!

THere was a time it wasnt too bad but then all those google adds and then the free i-pods! etc.

Then i realised

Adblock>
http://*.googlesyndication.com
http://www.pspupdates.com/white_ceramic_728X90.gif
http://www.pspupdates.com/choose-your.gif

After that you'd swear it really was a normal site :D

Although i really agree, it sickening how money hungry sites that realise they're popular become, the more hits the more money possibilities, think of it this way if they put more adds they get more money from goggle etc. then they get the links to lik-sang 10% of the sale deal, then there own Free deals etc. and finally to remove all these annoyances you can pay again to remove them! :D

You have to admit for the web owner the money must be very persuasive!

I just wish that someone out there could run as good an updated and moderated site without the corporate money hungry feel.....

Any takers?

coheedcollapse
August 12th, 2005, 21:51
Yeah before I found this site I just threw on a javascript blocker (plugin for firefox) and I never had to mess with those stupid pop up/pop unders/pop out of the computer and smother you...things.

Cap'n 1time
August 12th, 2005, 23:25
I just wish that someone out there could run as good an updated and moderated site without the corporate money hungry feel.....

Any takers?

your in the forum of one captain smarty pants.

monkeymaximus
August 17th, 2005, 10:28
im trying to... we are slowly but surely getting there.

The hardest part is accumlating a good core group right? So if there is anybody that wants to contribute.... im up for any and all help.

send me any constructive thoughts. thanks.
http://www.pspbrew.com