PDA

View Full Version : VMU Backup CD v1.3.0 Released

bucanero
August 12th, 2005, 05:16
VMU Backup CD v1.3.0 by El Bucanero (http://www.bucanero.com.ar/), released on 11th August 2005

A new version is ready, and this time with a pretty nice surprise. ;)
The VMU CD now implements the VMU emulator SoftVMS by Marcus Comstedt (http://mc.pp.se/dc) (ported to KallistiOS by DirtySanchez). With the built-in VMU emulator you'll be able to play VMU minigames on your TV without having to transfer the minigames to a visual memory unit.

Changes:

VMU emulator SoftVMS implemented
Added more games and saves
60 mini games available
350 games listed with over 3200 saves

UPDATE: I've fixed the .CDI image! :D
I did a clean rebuild, then made a .ISO with MKISOFS and then just "BIN2BOOT vmucd.iso /nohack". I burned the disc, tried it on my Dreamcast and worked perfectly. yeah! :cool:
Again, sorry for any inconvenience and wasted CDs :(

Download it from my site www.bucanero.com.ar (http://www.bucanero.com.ar/descargas.php?id_categoria_descarga=1) / SourceForge.net (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=99309&package_id=106534&release_id=348566) (DiscJuggler image, unscrambled binaries & source code available)

RockinB
August 12th, 2005, 11:14
Wow, that VMU emulator feature is really a good idea. It didn't came to my mind, so shame on me!

Having all VMU games on a Dreamcast CD makes it a lot easier to try some out.
I definitely have to try this out as soon as I get my CD burner back. Does the app allow to copy files between VMUs or delete them to make space for new saves?

Now if only someone would make such a thing for Saturn, too....

Another idea that I had for Saturn, which would be as good on Dreamcast, too:
What about implementing the possibility to pack a selection of VMU saves into a compressed archive? Such a compressed archive could be loaded by the app and work like a virtual VMU where you can copy stuff to and from, delete files... .

The idea is to make more free space by putting VMU files into a compressed archive (something better than zip, maybe bzip2), delete the original files and save the compressed archive to VMU instead.

What do you think?

DARKGATE
August 12th, 2005, 15:21
Bucanero there are problems, i have download the iso.CDI, put my cd in the DREAMCAST appear the logo SEGA and more nothing, the screen is black.
: | don't work.
My dreamcast is a PAL.
PS. DroP my cd in the WC. :°|

DCDayDreamer
August 12th, 2005, 18:03
There's a problem with the current image for download so don't burn it, the problem will be fixed ASAP and a new image will be uploaded.

smiles
August 12th, 2005, 18:15
Could someone please post the plain files as well. I prefer to make my own images, and would like to weed-out alot of the saves I don't want.

Pavlik
August 12th, 2005, 19:43
http://www.bucanero.com.ar/descargas.php?id_categoria_descarga=1

A great compilation of over 3200 VMU saves and minigames for your Dreamcast, with a neat app for browsing and transfering from CD to VMU. New version with more saves, minigames, and a built-in VMU emulator to play minigames on your TV. (.CDI) FIXED

bucanero
August 12th, 2005, 19:57
Heheh thanks Pavlik!, I've just edited the top post to let everyone know that I've fixed the DiscJuggler image. This time I used the BIN2BOOT method, and I went out to buy CD-R's and try the image for real! :p

So please to anyone who's going to burn my VMU CD, be sure to download the fixed new image. (RAR file size about 8.5 Mbytes)

Please post if everything works fine or not, I don't want to screw DC fans again. :(

MetaFox
August 12th, 2005, 21:09
Please post if everything works fine or not, I don't want to screw DC fans again. :(I wouldn't either, especially the early model Dreamcasts with the metal fan - that would hurt. ;)

In all seriousness though, it works great. This is definately my favorite application for the Dreamcast at the moment.

smiles
August 12th, 2005, 23:00
The new image works great for me as well. Thanks, this is very nice.

bucanero
August 13th, 2005, 04:38
Does the app allow to copy files between VMUs or delete them to make space for new saves?

Another idea that I had for Saturn, which would be as good on Dreamcast, too: The idea is to make more free space by putting VMU files into a compressed archive (something better than zip, maybe bzip2), delete the original files and save the compressed archive to VMU instead.

What do you think?

Right now the VMU CD app doesn't have any VMU manager option, so it will just transfer saves from the disc to the selected VMU. (no delete or copy options) But this an idea that has been requested and it's on my "future improvements" list.

About your idea, I honestly think its a really great idea, it's simple but powerful. For those without coders-cable, BBA or nexus card to transfer saves, when you're out of free blocks you have to delete your own saves and that sucks. I just did some tests and the average compression on vmu files is pretty great, usually 10% of original size, so you could compress a 60 block save in a 6 block save. :cool:
I'm a bit overloaded with assigments at my university, but if I get some free time I'm sure I'll do a "VMZip" based in your idea! :D

bucanero
August 13th, 2005, 04:54
I wouldn't either, especially the early model Dreamcasts with the metal fan - that would hurt. ;)

In all seriousness though, it works great. This is definately my favorite application for the Dreamcast at the moment.

Heheheheh :eek: :D

I'm glad to know that you like my app. :) if you can, please post about this release at ConsoleVision, thanks!

DARKGATE
August 13th, 2005, 07:25
=D excuse me, bucanero ,are you italian?

DARKGATE
August 13th, 2005, 08:59
another problem :°|, premet i have a VMU compatible not he original of the dreamcast.
When start the program with the list,i choose a file for transef in my VMU, push A, but i see "COPY ERROR"
I have tried the emu vmu for minigames, but when load the screen appear black O_O help !

Eric
August 13th, 2005, 22:32
Hey Bucanero your new backup release is totally kickass. I love how i can play the games right on my tv and view it from my vmu aswell. Though some games dont work its a great release and lots of great old Vmu games do work. I havent really looked at the saves but i think you have done all you can with that and i got what i need for saves for all the games i own.

What you have made helps lots of people and you made it fun for people who dont own a vmu or dont have time to go out buy batteries. Im the guy who doesnt go out and spend 10 or more dollars on batteries for short life on a vmu. So you saved me sometime and saved me from waiting to connect online to find these saves again.

Just amazing
thanks

Eric

bucanero
August 14th, 2005, 02:01
What you have made helps lots of people and you made it fun for people who dont own a vmu or dont have time to go out buy batteries. Im the guy who doesnt go out and spend 10 or more dollars on batteries for short life on a vmu. So you saved me sometime and saved me from waiting to connect online to find these saves again.

Just amazing
thanks

Eric

I'm glad to hear your comments about my VMU CD! :D I know how you feel about the vmu batteries.... they're expensive and the vmu eats them like candy!
There are things to improve in my app, I know... the biggest problem is to find free time to do some dreamcast coding... :( heheh... right now I want to develop RockinB's idea... I hope I can do it soon. :)

again, thanks for your comments!

ShinAkuma
August 14th, 2005, 18:13
hello there!
first of all great news... congratulation for the release!!!
very good pack! all in one cd! it's awsome!!!

now...
anybody knows if the save file of DEAD OR ALIVE 2 (pal) it's fix?
because I was using one that in the game I couldn't move the fightings botons! :/ only the D-pad :X

greetings

shinakuma

bucanero
August 14th, 2005, 23:52
anybody knows if the save file of DEAD OR ALIVE 2 (pal) it's fix?
because I was using one that in the game I couldn't move the fightings botons! :/ only the D-pad :X

Have you tried in the option screen, to edit the control configuration? It might be that the user who submited the save customized his control settings, and you have just to "default" those control settings again.

DARKGATE
August 15th, 2005, 07:10
Your read me when write something ?
I have write wich to me don't work, when i made for transfer the file save on my VMU, i see "COPY ERROR"
The emulator of VMU for mini games, don't work me, the screen began all black and freeze, i have download the FIXED VERSION.

My dreamcast is pal, and i use a VMU compatible!
I hope wich read this BUCANERO.

bucanero
August 17th, 2005, 15:31
Your read me when write something ?
I have write wich to me don't work, when i made for transfer the file save on my VMU, i see "COPY ERROR"
The emulator of VMU for mini games, don't work me, the screen began all black and freeze, i have download the FIXED VERSION.

My dreamcast is pal, and i use a VMU compatible!
I hope wich read this BUCANERO.

The problem you've it's because you don't have an original SEGA VMU... there are a few third party memory cards for dreamcast that are not 100% compatible with the KallistiOS library.

The emu searchs for a VMU with LCD display at startup, if there's none, the emu won't start... it will be fixed in a new version.

btw, please control your temper, I'm doing my work for fun & for FREE, so if you don't like it, just get a C/C++ book, a SH4 cross compiler and do the application that better fits your needs. But please, don't complain.

smiles
August 17th, 2005, 16:52
Is there a way to transfer the VMU mini games to the VMU? Or can they only be played via the built in emulator?

DARKGATE
August 17th, 2005, 20:43
DEAR BUCANERO, thanks for anwered me, now is more all simple, i have made questions, and the questions, i can made at you, wich have create this program, if you don't answer i repeat my question all right?

My temper is good FRIEND if you had problem with me, sorry much, i think wich you think bad on me, bah.

P.S. accept of learn C/C++ or SH4 if you can locate a good book or site for start
thank you.

RockinB
August 26th, 2005, 17:50
Any updates here?

bucanero
August 27th, 2005, 06:36
Any updates here?

I'm almost done with the VMZip idea you gave me... :) Let's say its about 97% complete. ;)

I'll try to have it finished & released in the next week, provided that I can get some free time to code the last details...

RockinB
August 29th, 2005, 08:47
Good news!

I'm just trying to make something similar for Saturn using libbzip2.

bucanero
August 29th, 2005, 23:18
Good news!

I'm just trying to make something similar for Saturn using libbzip2.

I'm using bzip2 too! :D I don't know if my source code might be useful for your Saturn app, but if you want I can send it to you right now, even if its not finished yet. Let me know !

c ya!

RockinB
August 30th, 2005, 15:51
I'm using bzip2 too! :D I don't know if my source code might be useful for your Saturn app, but if you want I can send it to you right now, even if its not finished yet. Let me know !
c ya!

I got very far with my Save Game Manager for SEGA Saturn. I almost thought I could release it today, as everythings is done, but my debug cycle takes too much time.

The virtual drive approach is amazing!
On Saturn, you have a lot of different storage devices: CD, internal backup RAM, cartridge RAM, serial (floppy) device and arbitrary amount of virtual drives. I made a wrapper around it, allowing EVERY DEVICE to be compressed into one file and automatically saved to every writeable device, including virtual drives...

BZip2 consumes a lot of memory. So I made a custom memory allocator and use blocksize 1 for compression. Nevertheless, I'm in need of a better memory allocator(which uses multiple memory regions) to avoid crashing when doing things which require more mem.

Though using weakest compression efficiency, first tests did compress to 50%. Sure this is not a representative value.

On Saturn, we already got a file copy tool, but this one is much better. It's been designed for efficiency in handling it. Inspired by Norton commander, too.

You see, I'm quite excited about it, hehe.
See you!

RockinB
August 31st, 2005, 20:46
BGET is really an awesome memory allocator!

I use it to allocate memory in up to 5 different regions on Saturn!
The external RAM cart now allows to take a better compression.

The effect of compression is really cool: some files (racing game replays...) are 2x as large as the internal backup memory and do only fit into the external backup cartridge. And even there is only space for a few of such files.

Using bzip2 compression, I can place about 5 of these files into internal memory. That's a great difference.

I just found a memory leak today, so I'll release it tomorrow.

Andore
September 9th, 2005, 18:34
No sbi version for this?

bucanero
September 14th, 2005, 02:39
No sbi version for this?

Right now there's a .SBI version of my latest VMU CD (v1.3.0).
Please look in the message I've posted above for download links.

bucanero
October 30th, 2005, 23:59
Thanks to Hashmire420, a .SBI version of my VMU CD v1.3.0 is now available.

I've uploaded it at my SourceForge.net project site, and here's the download link:

http://www.bucanero.com.ar/descargas.php?id_categoria_descarga=1

Please post your comments if you try it out.