PDA

View Full Version : Dual Layer UMD's?

Jdemon
August 13th, 2005, 05:12
Excuse me if I missed this one but I haven't had much time for thread browsing lately. I saw something that there's a new Japanese fighting game (School Rumble) out for PSP that is on a double layer UMD :confused: I'm really hoping this is true since larger games will really mean less appeal for bootleg games in the future. I'd be really happy if Sony persues this route more instead of trying to lock out the PSP with updates. Not that I don't think updates are great but I'd rather not see all this happen at the expence of the homebrew capabilities for the PSP. Which I'm getting more and more afraid will not be fully realized :(

GuntherMP5
August 18th, 2005, 01:09
Well I am not condoning anything. But reality is there is only so much real data ( game) that they can put in a game. Alot is just Sound ( which I have never tried, but I think can be down sampled now) , and Movies ( which can be removed ) plus maybe alot of padding ( which also can be removed ). Then you have the fact that larger Mem sticks are comming out, plus I know I am trying to make a CF adaptor for more storage( Don't know if it will work, but it's a project worth exploring).
I think it will be FIRMWARE that will slow down Piracy. But,Nothing will stop it! Although DTV did a pretty good job with the P4's. The truth is there are alot of talented programmers out there and its human nature if some on says you cant do that , they will try. So Dual Layers isnt going to do anything, Hell DVD compression is in LEGIT programs like NERO re-encode.(granted DVD decryption is still needed)

Just my thoughts, but I am not condoning anything. People are people with different beliefs.It's those that try to force there beliefs on others that I oppose.

Ceno
August 20th, 2005, 00:52
All UMD's are already Dual Layer.
UMD Specs:
ECMA-365: Data Interchange on 60 mm Read-Only ODC - Capacity: 1.8 Gbytes (UMDTM) (as PDF)
Dimensions: Approx. 65 mm (W) x 64 mm (D) x 4.2 mm (H)
Diameter: 60 mm
Maximum Capacity: 1.80GB (Single-sided, dual layer)
Laser wavelength: 660 nm (Red laser)
Encryption: AES 128-bit

The games out now just haven't used the full capacity of the UMD disks is all. Future games I'm sure will take advantage. (Gran Turismo will most likely use the full size of the UMD capacity).

http://videogames.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?cds2Pid=8066&ean=711719850007

yah_mon
August 25th, 2005, 06:16
What if you could just turn the UMD to the other side? like 2 disks inside the same case, but they would have to do quite a bit of testing before such an item is released i think its a good idea though.

Cap'n 1time
August 25th, 2005, 16:44
What if you could just turn the UMD to the other side? like 2 disks inside the same case, but they would have to do quite a bit of testing before such an item is released i think its a good idea though.

heheh. like a cassette tape :)

Ceno
September 30th, 2005, 22:18
That would be a dual sided disk. They already have those for dvd. Ususally when they have widescreen on one side and full screen on the other. Not sure how that would work on a umd tho.