PDA

View Full Version : Who are the pirates and why?

Wally
February 17th, 2008, 02:02
Hi guys, thought i'd just start a little poll about pirates on the PSP, its more or less a survey to find out why people pirate. It'd be interesting to see what response comes back.

I'll only download something that's old and considered rare or abandon-ware (PS1 down). I actually just bought Alex Kidd in Miracle world on cartridge which cost me $20 and I have about 20 sega cartridges otherwise, so you can see im serious :)

Please be honest, I'd like this to be a flame free thread if possible, its all anonymous and posting your opinions in this thread is voluntary.

Gizmo356
February 17th, 2008, 02:11
Well I use to because the games mostly suck and they cost $50, so the majority of the time I was throwing my money away on games I didn't like( except for the syphon and GTA games ).

Elven6
February 17th, 2008, 02:23
If you can't afford games you probably shouldn't have a console in the first place.

Medion
February 17th, 2008, 03:10
I'm very anti-piracy, so I just don't do it. If I want to try before I buy, I rent it. If a game is crap, I won't play it, pirated or not.

Piracy hurts the developers. Not the company behind it, but the little guy. If you hurt the company's profit margins, they'll just pay the employees less. If they have to reach a $50 pricepoint, they'll just lower expenses to do it.

The ESA was set up as a compromise. It allows us to play games that companies no longer want to profit off of. That's why emulation isn't as taboo as it was several years ago. I only emulate games that I already own, or games that are uber rare and not protected by the ESA.

hodgy47
February 17th, 2008, 10:35
If you can't afford games you probably shouldn't have a console in the first place.
Thats unfair on poorer families who buy consoles for their kids, The kids want a console just like their mates have, Why should people not have consoles just cos they arent rich as the people next door, and them not having one leads to bullying on a big scale and those kids feel left out and wonder why they cant have a psp, If games cost less they might sell more than what are downloaded and lets be honest most of the piracy is done by kids who must have the latest game but know their parents cant afford it so without their parents knowing they download it and voila thay are just as good as their mates again, I think a lot of it is down to pressure to keep up with the kids who can afford it.

I'm very anti-piracy, so I just don't do it. If I want to try before I buy, I rent it. If a game is crap, I won't play it, pirated or not.

Piracy hurts the developers. Not the company behind it, but the little guy. If you hurt the company's profit margins, they'll just pay the employees less. If they have to reach a $50 pricepoint, they'll just lower expenses to do it.

The ESA was set up as a compromise. It allows us to play games that companies no longer want to profit off of. That's why emulation isn't as taboo as it was several years ago. I only emulate games that I already own, or games that are uber rare and not protected by the ESA.

The rising cost of games hurts the developers cos they putting big titles out of reach of some people, and its due to size of the game writers wage packets that prices are so high, that combined with the fees sony charge for them to use their media format. And for never downloading or ripping a game I dont believe we all havent done at some point when they are so readily available, I personally have but only to see what they are like and then YES i do buy them, However i do rip them cos i have 4 kids with psp's and i am not buying 4 copies of a game so i rip them so all my kids can play them so if thats wrong then i'm guilty.

quzar
February 17th, 2008, 11:42
No, no, no.