PDA

View Full Version : Video games 'linked' to NIU shooting; ECA issues response

wraggster
February 18th, 2008, 16:32
The Entertainment Consumers Association on Friday responded to allegations from that day that video games were somehow connected to the shootings at Northern Illinois University, where 27-year old Steven P. Kazmierczak killed five students in a lecture hall. Said the response, "Blaming video games for the behavior of the mentally-challenged is vile on many levels. And, as Generations X and Y mature, it is extremely likely that just about all of us have played at least one video game at some point in our lives."

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the origin of the video game link can be traced to Jack Thompson, who was on Fox News the morning of the incident. The New York Post also quickly joined the chorus in blaming video games -- specifically Counter-Strike -- as a contributing factor to the shooting. Kudos to the ECA for being timely in their response, making a concerted effort to prepare against a chance backlash and sensationalism.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/18/video-games-linked-to-niu-shooting-eca-issues-response/

Mister Klownes
February 18th, 2008, 17:00
The fact that Clinton is as close to the presidency as she is concerns me, considering she supported Thompson through the whole "hot coffee" thing. God forbid he should get any more chances to spread his senile babble.

maxipower90
February 18th, 2008, 17:10
so it has nothing to do with the fact that its as easy to get a gun in America as it is to do your shopping..... right blame the games..

ban the guns... the killing will reduce

Mister Klownes
February 18th, 2008, 17:29
In the words of Chris Rock, we don't need gun control, we need some bullet control.

Pilot_51
February 18th, 2008, 17:38
it is extremely likely that just about all of us have played at least one video game at some point in our lives.That's one of the points I'd like to see someone tell to JT's face.
I'm not going to argue that violent games can weaken sensitivity to real-life violence, since I find that to be likely in some form, but I do argue about violent games actually creating violent people. I believe, as most gamers I'm sure believe, that violent people play violent games because violent people love violence. Violent games might be their attempt to avoiding killing people in their anger, but sometimes the games just aren't enough to contain that anger. The simple fact that a murderer played violent games before he killed people isn't enough evidence to prove that violent games actually caused him to kill people.

JT also needs to be educated in the games he talks about. I noticed he called Counter-Strike a mass-murder simulator. That might be the case for a game like GTA, but not CS. CS is a game where you kill other people who actually have guns and an intention to kill you, or essentially a war. Sometimes the objective is to save hostages or if you're on the terrorist team you're not supposed to kill your hostages.
Also games (especially the games JT criticizes most) usually don't teach people how to properly operate and aim weapons, but someone who wants to find that out could easily find it from other sources or even by holding the real thing.

Personally I play very many first person shooters and I find that ever since I started playing them regularly, I've become a lot more mature in real life. I avoid swearing and I avoid being physical or causing harm when I'm mad and I respect authority. That could also be because of other things that have happened in my life such as moving away from friends who had a bad influence on me, but going with JT's type of philosophy, there's no question about it that violent video games caused me to be a better person.

ICE
February 18th, 2008, 17:41
Some video gaming nutjob tweaked on GTA needs to run over Jack Thompson.

bumfacekilla
February 18th, 2008, 18:24
I was going to present a well thought out arguement here, but Mr Thompson does not deserve that much effort. Why can't he just slither back under the rock from whence he came and stay there?

Veskgar
February 18th, 2008, 18:26
This is complete ****ing bullshit! I live in America and the reason or one of the reasons this guy went nuts was because he had stopped taking his medication. He had a history of psychological problems that had nothing to do with video games.

He was also enlisted in the Army in 2001/2002 for about 6 months and had a psychological discharge. Again, nothing to do with video games.

Its pretty pathetic being an American citizen and seeing the gross misdirection of priorities among politicians. Things are going to get pretty bad if things don't turn around soon.

But what do I know? I'm just a 20 something man-child who plays video games. I must be a part of societies deterioration too then huh?

The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.

::edit::

Another thing I thought I had to throw in there was that shootings happen everyday in the USA. Crime among illegal immigrants is skyrocketing. Its a chicken shit cop-out for politicians like this Thompson guy to exploit high-profile incidents like this to blame on video games while ignoring the more widespread problems plaguing the country. This sort of thing makes me want to be some sort of social or political activist and start a movement. I'm just one voice of opinions, but if many share my views I must not be crazy.

Mr Corky
February 18th, 2008, 20:28
In the words of Chris Rock, we don't need gun control, we need some bullet control.

Also more wisdom words by the great Chris Rock, "What ever happend to crazy? What, we can't be crazy no more?"

Anyone who has seen the Bigger and Blacker show will know what I'm talking about!

ojdon
February 18th, 2008, 22:36
I just want to know who they can point the finger at once all the Shooter games have been ticked off of their "Shooting Video Games to blame this upon"

Seriously though, there isn't any hard evidance that Video games are always to blame for these type of scenarios, I'm sure it would be better if they didn't just jump to conclusions...

NOCHUCK
February 18th, 2008, 23:48
The only reason America kicked some Nazi ass was Because of wolfenstien 3d, they were just ahead of thier time. Last year when I bought a wagon, yolk of oxen and 12 pounds of bacon to travel across the midwest was because of Oregon trail. Wait, no both those statements were frickin retarted, guess they've got something in commmon with this Article.

ish420ism
February 21st, 2008, 03:14
I think JT makes a valid argument. These mass shootings were not happening 15 years ago. In fact, the U.S. population wouldn't stand for suicidal mass killers 15 years ago.

These killer simulators were first introduced to the millitary sector and after, formated for a commercial market.

Now look who is defending these simulators..NBC, the mass media, big financial corperations. Step back and look at the bigger picture.

Also, look at how a lot of these people defend their culture when under question, but when it comes time to defend the stability of the nation, People are nowhere to be found.
just an IDEA