PDA

View Full Version : Bochs Ported to PSP, Use Windows 95 on your PSP

wraggster
August 13th, 2005, 18:33
Matan (http://www.hacker.co.il/psp/bochs/) has ported the x86 emulator Bochs over to the PSP, now you can run Dos games and even Win95 or Linux on your PSP, heres some news from his site:

Yes, it's true. I've managed to run Windows 95 and Linux on the PSP. I've done it by porting the excellent open source x86 emulator Bochs.

Windows 95 actually runs quite well but don't expect it to be a speed demon. It takes about 10 minutes to boot but afterwards it's pretty usable. I was able to do things like: open "My computer" and browse the virtual hard drive, complete a whole game of Minesweeper and run various other applications. Now you too can get your Minesweeper fix on the go :)

I've also tested DLX Linux which comes pre-packaged with Bochs and it works just fine. However, I couldn't do much with it because there's no keyboard support. If you want to do your word processing on it then wait until keyboard support is implemented (though I doubt it will be any fun using the joystick).

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/files/pspwin95logo.jpg

Screenshots and downloads Here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/bochspsp.shtml

Start testing games and report back to us :)

parabolee
August 13th, 2005, 19:13
WOW I mean seriously WOW!!!

This is awesome! If only we could get this running at a decent speed, 10 minutes to boot is pretty unusable. But if it ran faster it would have by far the best web browsing support as long as you could set upa WiFi connection.

Lot of potential here, LOT.

I wonder how the DOS games run on it, because thgere were a LOT of great DOS games!

wraggster
August 13th, 2005, 19:38
yeah it just takes some configuring and youll be playing some old dos classics on your PSP :)

jambox
August 13th, 2005, 19:50
That is so crazy. I never expected anything like that on the PSP! I am going to try testing some old games next week... (have to get the old games out of storage)

wraggster
August 13th, 2005, 19:54
anyone familiar with Bochs, ive never used it so im a little stuck for tutorials etc

UnderHill
August 13th, 2005, 20:16
sweet! windows 95 on a psp is the last thing i expected :)
i agreewith parabolee tho ,10 minutes is a long time to wait

gimpyjr
August 13th, 2005, 20:21
That is really somthing! I won't try it though until I get some more memory sticks, and until bochs is much more stable on PSP.

Really really cool

shadowprophet
August 13th, 2005, 21:06
Its already under way, im downloading a dos image now as we speak, i already looked up my old win 95 disk, Im doing this, and i'll let you guys know how it turned out, :D

Update. I cant get the damn thing started, does anybody know if this works on a 1.5. im assumeing thats everyones problem, Ive read up on this, and I know im editing the bios file correctly. i know i have the os images correctly placed and the paths worked out. i honestly believe this doesnt work on a 1.5 guys :(

If anyone is able to get this running on a 1.5 let me know, but i somhow doubt anyone has.

vegenigma
August 13th, 2005, 22:00
Sweet, can't wait to use it. I want to play TIE Fighter again :)

Hopefully someone will come out with a good tutorial for this. I couldn't ever figure out how to get the XBox version of BOCHS to work. Not exactly sure what a DOS image is either or how to create one.

Illuga
August 13th, 2005, 22:21
Shadowprophet, im about 95% sure this works on 1.5, ive managed to get the included linux build to load up on my 1.5 psp, which isnt any use as theres no keyboard support yet, however this should also mean that windows can be loaded up as well, my problem is that i have no idea how to make the images etc, and no floppy drive in order to make bootup disks with.

The easiest way to do this is dump everything in the VM folder in the root of your psp (not including the eboot which goes in the usual place).

Then edit your "bochsrc.bxrc" to have this in and change whatever you need to change to link it to windows (i marked this red)

################################################## #############
# bochsrc.txt file for DLX Linux disk image.

# how much memory the emulated machine will have
megs: 8

# filename of ROM images
romimage: file=ms0:/VM/BIOS-bochs-latest, address=0xf0000
vgaromimage: file=ms0:/VM/VGABIOS-lgpl-latest

# hard disk
ata0: enabled=1, ioaddr1=0x1f0, ioaddr2=0x3f0, irq=14
ata0-master: type=disk, path="ms0:/VM/hd10meg.img", cylinders=306, heads=4, spt=17

# choose the boot disk.
boot: c

# where do we send log messages?
log: ms0:/VM/bochsout.txt

# disable the mouse, since DLX is text only
mouse: enabled=0

# enable key mapping, using US layout as default.
#
# NOTE: In Bochs 1.4, keyboard mapping is only 100% implemented on X windows.
# However, the key mapping tables are used in the paste function, so
# in the DLX Linux example I'm enabling keyboard_mapping so that paste
# will work. Cut&Paste is currently implemented on win32 and X windows only.

#keyboard_mapping: enabled=1, map=$BXSHARE/keymaps/x11-pc-us.map
#keyboard_mapping: enabled=1, map=$BXSHARE/keymaps/x11-pc-fr.map
#keyboard_mapping: enabled=1, map=$BXSHARE/keymaps/x11-pc-de.map
#keyboard_mapping: enabled=1, map=$BXSHARE/keymaps/x11-pc-es.map

including a picture of the VM folder on my psp so you can check you have all these files in there as well

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/384/vm2kw.jpg

Tell us how it works =O.

shadowprophet
August 13th, 2005, 22:28
if this works on a 1.0 its gota to work on a 1.5 too. im not giveing up. im gonna get this to work :p

Illuga
August 13th, 2005, 22:35
Damn right, i bought a psp in hope that i could use it as a portable computer, its about a hands reach away atm so im going to do what i can >_<.

souls85
August 13th, 2005, 22:57
pardon my noobness but how do you convert an img file to all of those files in the picture?

Illuga
August 13th, 2005, 23:05
i found most of those images on matans page and included in the folder of the boch install, i think a lot of those files are not needed, i just chucked the lot in so i knew defently that all the needed files are there.

http://bochs.sourceforge.net/ <-- go here, download boch

Then when you've installed boch go into the boch folder wherever you installed it and find the dlxlinux which is pre-compiled in there, just find the files i have there and copy them over then you can see dlxlinux working, however thats as far as i can go unless i can get ahold of a floppy drive from somewhere.

souls85
August 13th, 2005, 23:22
got it to work... does anyone know where I can get a keyboard emu?
also I have version 1.5 so I am happy to report it works for 1.5
now I so need to get master of magic to work.

Illuga
August 13th, 2005, 23:33
You got windows 95 working? would you mind giving me the image if so?

souls85
August 13th, 2005, 23:38
no I got linux to work
now im trying to get free dos...
I do not have a copy of win 95
sorry :/

souls85
August 14th, 2005, 00:10
I have gotten freedos to work as well is there any way to make it load a exe file? cause there is no keyboard support...

innerlogic
August 14th, 2005, 00:15
I got Windows NT working (at least untill the startup screen), and I'm making a boot disk for Windows 95 - Windows 3.11.

EDIT: I'll make a guide on how to install windows 95 or 98 if anyone needs one, I'm almost done with the 95 install right now.

souls85
August 14th, 2005, 00:55
too bad I only have a 32mb memory stick.... otherwise I would so get win 95on it...

Illuga
August 14th, 2005, 01:01
innerlogic, that would be a great help, possibly more so if you can supply files as well, maybe the win95 image depending upon of course if it can be done legally.

Does anyone know of any small GUI based linux os's which could be run on a psp?

innerlogic
August 14th, 2005, 01:22
innerlogic, that would be a great help, possibly more so if you can supply files as well, maybe the win95 image depending upon of course if it can be done legally.

I, nor anyone else, can give you an image of Windows 95. If you wanna install it, you gotta get it yourself.

EDIT: It's pretty cheap anyway, so it's not a big deal.

I installed Windows 95 in Windows XP, I tried to put the image on my PSP, but it keeps crashing, so i'm guessing my config file is wrong. Other then that, In Windows XP and Linux I got the Windows 95 install runing, if anyone has got it working has a good config file, please put it up :-D

EDIT AGAIN: Nevermind, I got it working, I'll write up a guide in a little bit :-D

shadowprophet
August 14th, 2005, 01:25
I must be doing somthing wrong,:o
I thought had everything configured correctly. But I must be on the right track, Somtimes i get a black screen,and it stays there instead of an error. If sombody could post there config file they used to get freedos to work that would really pribibly save me from having some sort of stress indused stroke :mad:

Still tho im on the right path,

Illuga
August 14th, 2005, 01:26
See now i acctually do own windows 95 legit with a serial and all but i dont have a floppy drive, unless you know of a way otherwise?

Try out the config file i posted earlyer with the parts in red changed to whatevers relevent

innerlogic
August 14th, 2005, 01:28
See now i acctually do own windows 95 legit with a serial and all but i dont have a floppy drive, unless you know of a way otherwise?

Then you need an image boot file to load it, but I don't know where one is. Bound to be one out there, google is your friend I guess. I'll search in a bit,

BTW: yeah, this takes quite a while to boot... I mean, QUITE a while :cool:

shadowprophet
August 14th, 2005, 01:34
And all i need to get things started is for somone to post there working config file to get free dos to work. Thats all i need to get the ball rolling, For some reason no matter how i config it i cant get this thing off the ground :(

innerlogic
August 14th, 2005, 01:42
Well, my config goes like this

# Windows 95

# filename of ROM images

# hard disk
ata0-master: type=disk, path="ms0:/VM/c.img", mode=flat, cylinders=406, heads=16, spt=63

# choose the boot disk.

mouse: enabled=1
----------------------------------

Change as needed.

EDIT: I pasted an old config that did not work, I changed it so NOW it will work, sorry about that :p

shadowprophet
August 14th, 2005, 01:44
:p

souls85
August 14th, 2005, 01:59
I have a cd version of win 95 how do you convert it to an Img?

indstr
August 14th, 2005, 02:03
so does anybody have any idea of approximately how fast this thing runs in dos? like what equivalent x86 machine would it run in terms of mhz? do you think it would be as fast as a 486dx 33? i would love to play some old dos classics from around 1993-1995 like hocus pocus, tyrian, jill of the jungle, alpha waves, etc etc

innerlogic
August 14th, 2005, 02:12
I have a cd version of win 95 how do you convert it to an Img?

No, not the windows cd, the boot floppy (thats only if you don't have a floppy drive)

For boot disks, get them from bootdisk (http://www.bootdisk.com/)

souls85
August 14th, 2005, 02:21
I dont have a floppy drive and Im lost...

Illuga
August 14th, 2005, 02:37
I came accross something intresting. i gave up trying to get a windows 95 image and i went onto freedos, atm what im doing has pretty limited functionality because i dont know how to resize the image and i only have a 32meg card however i stumbled accross this site ( http://www.litepc.com/ ) they have trials for their mini versions of windows which are installed from dos, and right now im installing 98 lite via my psp, yup its slow and yup i dont have enough space to do it =P anyone wanna download the trial and give it a go? it seems to be more convienent for psp's as all the junk is taken out and its running on barebones, then you can custom add programs in using winimage ( http://www.winimage.com/ ) heres a link to the pre-made freedos for psp with 10 meg space ( no linking to news stealers ) heres a hint, use the autoexec.bat to run the commands you cant type in.

wraggster
August 14th, 2005, 03:29
i wonder if freedos would run Red Alert ? or Command & Conquer or maybe Warcraft 1

wraggster
August 14th, 2005, 03:31
post screens if you get big name games working ;)

souls85
August 14th, 2005, 03:40
I think Ra1 requires too much ram...

what is the autoexec command for running programs
also do I use ms0:\ or c:\ do I have to package it in the img file or can I run it seperately

Illuga
August 14th, 2005, 03:58
Use c:/ but keep things in the root, everything needs to go inside the image file think of the image file as your c:/ there is no directory higher than it and the size of the image file is the size of your c:/ to autoexec an .exe in the root of your c:/ all you would do is write in the autoexec.bat:

something.exe

and it will load up that particular file in this case something.exe

Im going to bed now, however i would love to find out how to resize these .img files, it will give a lot more freedom.

souls85
August 14th, 2005, 04:30
I figured out how to resize but the format that you suggested did not work...
in case you would like to try to resize it you go to winimage : Image : Change Format : Select Custom (very bottom): change total # of sectors to desired size it shows size in kb below it... I suspect that you also have to change the hd specs in bochsrc file you can do this by creating an image with boch disk image creation tool... then make up some phoney crap but make the image the same size as you want... hope this helps...

alepus
August 14th, 2005, 05:27
he should use this IR keyboard driver.

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=2926&sid=1e5a094ece300078d2e6968a4b2735f1
http://www.earthv.com/images/052502_pocketop/052502_pocketop_05.jpg

btw. this is one of the few things i only dreamt of! REALLY COOL!

yah_mon
August 14th, 2005, 07:40
Hi, I posted this topic yesterday: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=47842#post47842

Is it possible to use windows 95 to possibly alter the region coding blocks on PSP? Since your already on the "inside" of the system I assume it shouldn't be so hard. Please note I am no expert!

Valiant
August 14th, 2005, 09:22
Oh man I cant wait to see what comes from this...someday stepmania...someday! Heck if this gets on...we might need a mouse too, as well as a keyboard XP

souls85
August 14th, 2005, 09:39
the only thing it needs in my opinion is keyboard/good mouse emulation everything else is secondary. then after that optimize the code so it does not take 10 mins to load win 95 on a 333mhz cpu it should proabably be closer to 2min including login...

shadowprophet
August 14th, 2005, 12:30
Well, my config goes like this

# Windows 95

# filename of ROM images

# hard disk
ata0-master: type=disk, path="ms0:/VM/c.img", mode=flat, cylinders=406, heads=16, spt=63

# choose the boot disk.

----------------------------------

Change as needed.

EDIT: I pasted an old config that did not work, I changed it so NOW it will work, sorry about that :p

Now i am in need of some other help. I got it to load and I can see its gonna work The problem is im stuck at a screen that sais, f1...dos. then goes on to f?... dos and i dont know how to make it load dos, any ideas ?

EvilDragon
August 14th, 2005, 12:41
I have gotten freedos to work as well is there any way to make it load a exe file? cause there is no keyboard support...

Sure: Simply load it up using autoexec.bat.
Or find a program like DosShell, where you can start stuff via mouse :)

shadowprophet
August 14th, 2005, 13:26
I have a request, Im sure a lot of people would find this useful.
If somone ever gets windows 95 to work on there psp. Make a list of the files needed, And post that damn config file. :p

ive had some luck . but I just dont have the time to devote to this that I would need to figure this out myself,

So if somone ever get win 95 running on there psp, Leave us a little feed back and tell us what god you had to worship to make it happen :rolleyes:
Cause this emu is bullshit, i work on systems i should be native to this,
But i just dont have the time to figure out why this damn thing is so picky, and set everything up right, (ie. IM to lazy and to buzy to figure this out myself):p so when somone does figure this out, leave a post on how you did it,

Illuga
August 14th, 2005, 14:41
Just found this on some "other" forums but figured it would be useful here as well

I got it working.

Use the included Linux Distro as a basis.

Just about everything you need is included with bochs for win32.
So go get that.

I made an ISO of win 95 and mounted it using the config file.
Made a 96 Meg img for the hard drive using bximage.exe (part of bochs Win32)
Made a Win 9x boot floppy img using rawwritewin.exe (part of dostools and included with just about every ISO of linux) (google it)

GET THIS ALL WORKING IN WINDOWS FIRST
Then copy it over to the PSP when it works.

edit the bochsrc to point at your files and boot off of the floppy img
(I never even tried to boot off of the cdrom)

Fdisk
Reboot
Format
start with cdrom support
setup Win 95
go eat something or read a book

Get everyting working in windows (if you can)
(I still don't have a working cd drive in windows, but I do have one in DOS)

Edit your paths to things like
ms0:/VM/win.img
(if win.img is the name of your hard drive image)

Save the changes as bochsrc.bxrc
make a folder in the MS called VM and put all your crap in there.
don't forget to included the bios and video bios files or it wont work!
kxploit the eboot and put the Bochs and Bochs% folders into PSP/GAME/

Mouse is a pain, but you get used to it. It's like playing a game.

I want to set windows resolution to 320x240
There is a way to do this without making bochs scale it at runtime.
It is a driver setting.
This would make it run faster.

I am ordering a PSP keyboard (the one from Logic3)
When it comes out, I'll be hoping to see keyboard support soon to follow.

GREAT WORK!!! Please keep working!!!

Here is my bochsrc.bxrc:

# bochsrc.txt file for Windows 95.

# DO NOT GIVE IT MORE OR YOUR WILL CRSH YOUR PSP!!!

# filename of ROM images
vgaromimage:ms0:/VM/VGABIOS-elpin-2.40
ata1: enabled=1, ioaddr1=0x170, ioaddr2=0x370, irq=15
# what disk images will be used
#floppya: 1_44=\\.\a:, status=inserted
floppya: 1_44=ms0:/VM/a.img, status=inserted
ata0-master: type=disk, path="ms0:/VM/win.img", mode=flat, cylinders=197, heads=16, spt=63
ata1-master: type=cdrom, path="ms0:/VM/98lite.iso", status=inserted, biosdetect=auto, model="SONY 9660"

# choose the boot disk.

log: bochsout.txt

#ips: 2500000

shadowprophet
August 14th, 2005, 15:16
I figured doing this on my psp, was to impossible right now, so i decided to install everything on my pc and then make the changes necessary to make it work on the psp later, i got free dos working, I was shocked :p
I even got a virtual hard drive going on, I tried to fdisk it set it up, i think it did format correctly, im not sure , cause im not used to this version of dos, It said voulme c has no lable, And i use the old dir command, and it said file not found,
So i cant be absolutly sure i have it formated correctly cause im not used to this version of dos :P however im ready to try windows 95 on this thing, What i need is for somone to tell me how i go about intsalling it into this virtual machine ? setting up windows is no problem i just dont know how to get it into this emu, Anyone got any ideas? ;)

innerlogic
August 14th, 2005, 15:24
I'm done with my guide. And I will note, if you think you will be playing ANY windows games with this software, you are mistaken. You may be able to "run" them, but they will be very VERY slow. It's the way Bochs is designed to run. Your best bet is to wait for PSP-linux and run the windows games through Wine or Cedega.

Anyway, on with the guide.

1. Download a Windows 95 boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.org, make sure the boot disk is the right one for your copy of Windows 95.

2. Download Bochs-2.2.1 for Windows or Linux, Go inside the Bochs directory and change the bochsrc-sample file to bochsrc.bxrc. Edit the file in wordpad (or whatever word processing software you like. Here is my Config file (http://dhost.info/innerlogic/bm/bochsrc.bxrc)

3. Click on bximage.exe to make a Harddrive image, everything will be default except for the hard drive size, I like 200 megs of space, but Windows only requires 150 or so. My config file uses 200 megs of space for the hard drive, so if you use something else, change it as needed.

4. Boot the bochsrc.bxrc file by clicking on it. When the A:/ prompt pops up, issue an FDISK command. Push enter three times (this will make the C Directory), now restart the Windows 95 box.

5. When back at the prompt screen, issue "format /u c:", now you will have a nice clean C: drive

6. enter "R:" (or whatever the cdrom drive is assigned in the prompt on your computer, which for me is R:)

7. Enter "setup.exe", and push enter

8. You are now in windows setup, take note that it is running pretty slow, even on a fast windows box. For speed, a better x86 emulator would be Qemu or VMware.

9. For Windows setup, all the defaults should be fine, there is nothing to really note on outside of making sure you don't setup networking (as it does not work) and the printer drivers (as you can't), this is only for the PSP's sake, if you are gonna use this in windows or linux, you may set them up (but I don't think you really want to, after all, it's windows 95 ;-) )

ALSO NOTE: You will need a legal Windows 95 Key to run this OS. Even though Windows 95 is old, it is still illegal to download it from a website, piracy != right. Windows 95 is pretty cheap on ebay anyway, so it's not that big a deal, and if you have an older computer around, chances are you have the key right there :-D

10. When setup is finished, restart bochs and remove the floppy disk. Windows will now boot from the Hard drive. Test to make sure it works.

11. If it does, shut down the box (the normal way, if you shut down any other way, scandisk will want to run the next time you run and on your PSP, there is no keyboard support, so you won't be able to finish the scandisk run.)

12. Install the Bochs PSP files on your PSP, make a VM directory in the root directory of your PSP. Then copy over "BIOS-bochs-latest", "VGABIOS-lgpl-latest", "c.img" and this config file (http://dhost.info/innerlogic/bochsrc.bxrc)

13. Boot PSP, load Bochs, and pray (or if you are an Atheist like me, just yell alot ;) )

and thats it for now :-)

bill00000
August 14th, 2005, 15:43
That's a lot of friggin work! What can you do with it once it's on your MS?

innerlogic
August 14th, 2005, 15:48
That's a lot of friggin work! What can you do with it once it's on your MS?

Well.... Not really anything, I can't seem to get the mouse working right (won't move, with it enabled or disabled) but you can run the basic apps included with the OS.

Outside of that? Ahh... nothing really, it's more of a proof of concept then anything right now.

I would really like to see Qemu ported over to the PSP, as that is a bit faster from what I've tested, also I hope the PSP-linux project completes their first version sooner or later. Those should be better then this.

shadowprophet
August 14th, 2005, 17:29
After i created an image of my windows 95 cd, and configured the file correctly to make it think it was a cdrom in freedos, Which is easy to do by the way here check this out

# Windows 95
# filename of ROM images
romimage: file=C:/bochs-2.2.1/BIOS-bochs-latest, address=0xf0000
vgaromimage: file=C:/bochs-2.2.1/VGABIOS-lgpl-latest
#floppy
floppya: 1_44=C:/bochs-2.2.1/do.img, status=inserted (1.44M 3.5" floppy)
#cd
ata0-slave: type=cdrom, path="C:/bochs-2.2.1/win.img", status=inserted
# hard disk
ata0-master: type=disk, path="C:/bochs-2.2.1/c.img", mode=flat, cylinders=406, heads=16, spt=63
# choose the boot disk.
boot: a
# enable key mapping, using US layout as default.
#
# NOTE: In Bochs 1.4, keyboard mapping is only 100% implemented on X windows.
# However, the key mapping tables are used in the paste function, so
# in the DLX Linux example I'm enabling keyboard_mapping so that paste
# will work. Cut&Paste is currently implemented on win32 and X windows only.
#keyboard_mapping: enabled=1, map=$BXSHARE/keymaps/x11-pc-us.map
#keyboard_mapping: enabled=1, map=$BXSHARE/keymaps/x11-pc-fr.map
#keyboard_mapping: enabled=1, map=$BXSHARE/keymaps/x11-pc-de.map
#keyboard_mapping: enabled=1, map=$BXSHARE/keymaps/x11-pc-es.map

Then I switched to drive e: which is my image of win 95,, to come across a problem i have no answer for. bad sectors , Now this is a virtual hard drive, So there for should have no bad sectors , but look at the pic, this is messed up ppl :eek: i dont know what to do from this point

shadowprophet
August 14th, 2005, 17:46
But pray for me guys :p. the problem seemed to be , DONT SCANDISK WHAT EVER YOU DO:p btw . im really sorry for the large pics, I was so busy with this, I didnt notice I saved them in bmp format and had already uploaded them sorry guys :o

Tomppa
August 14th, 2005, 19:07
Now everyone has been trying Windows 95 and various DOS versions. Noone cares about 3.1? It should be light and small, am I right? If I would have a PSP, I would not be here asking. Thank Sony for the 1st of september date. I'm sorry if I missed the post where someone said that will it work on 2.0, so I ask it now. And will the emulator let (future or now) i.e. windows acces Wi-Fi just like it would acces it on a USB-Wi-Fi adapter? Lets hope they make a USB keyboard soon!

Notice: My first post!

innerlogic
August 14th, 2005, 19:11
Now everyone has been trying Windows 95 and various DOS versions. Noone cares about 3.1? It should be light and small, am I right?

Well, you need DOS to issue a command to load the 3.1 GUI, so you need a keyboard, which is not supported right now.

poison2003
August 14th, 2005, 19:14
i was wondering how about if there is a linux live umd like a live disk to run from boot is it possible??

shadowprophet
August 14th, 2005, 19:17
you might have a point about 3.1 being faster.

The problem I forsee however. Is that this program emulates a virtual dos system, And inside the confines of that you could probibly do a lot of nice things. But just adding or installing information would be a hassle, Because windows wont be able to access files outside its virtual playground, meaning
that its really not gonna be able to access any of the psps features in any way shape or form. Just to add somthing like a windows program or dos, even a text file. You would have to update the hard drive image file to do this.

Still tho, this is pretty nice :p

p4ch3c0
August 14th, 2005, 20:50
Well, you need DOS to issue a command to load the 3.1 GUI, so you need a keyboard, which is not supported right now.
Wouldn't adding win to autoexec.bat work? I would try it, but my computer that runs Windows 3.1 had to be formatted and the floppy disks are corrupted :(

I'm sorry if I missed the post where someone said that will it work on 2.0, so I ask it now.
NEWS FLASH: You can't run any unsigned app on firmware 2.0. You chose to upgrade, so you gotta stick with it now.

parabolee
August 14th, 2005, 20:50
After reading all this, I think I'll hang on till the nest version with some speed improvments before go through all this effort just to see a really slow version of Windows 95 running on my PSP.

I am eager though to get some DOS games running on it. But again I'll hang on for the second release. He says we should see adecent speed improvment when he fixes the resoloution settings alone.

Fantastic work though, this could be the best thing on PSP by far if it reaches it's potential.

Imagine being able to network with your home PC and run files from it! Like movie files etc. Imagine surfing the net from Windows at a decent speed! That would be better than 2.00 browsing!

Think of all the Windows Apps that we could take advantage of!

Vary exciting stuff, let's just hope it develops into more than a novelty.

Anyone manage to run any DOS games yet? Could they let us know what kind of speeds they run at?

vegenigma
August 14th, 2005, 20:55
I will definitely try some DOS games once I know how

souls85
August 14th, 2005, 21:02
Ive tried a few dos games aka tomb raider 1
c&c red alert, system shock 1
and every time I got an I/0 error or it would freeze while loading the freedos...

Cross
August 14th, 2005, 22:07
Def big news, I wanted a way to play some of my fav dos games. This is it. And windows 95 is fun to I guess but I think its time for a 1 gig memory card lol. Anyone want to buy my 512 card for 65?

parabolee
August 14th, 2005, 23:20
Ive tried a few dos games aka tomb raider 1
c&c red alert, system shock 1
and every time I got an I/0 error or it would freeze while loading the freedos...

DAMN that is three DOS games I completely forgot about! I would be very eager to hear if anyone managed to get one of them running and how well it ran.

souls85
August 14th, 2005, 23:30
ss1 and tomb raider should run fine if I can get real dos on it... as far as red alert I think it requires too much ram...

NeoXCS
August 15th, 2005, 01:02
Well actually Red Alert should work pretty good. I have the box right now and it says it needs only 8MB of RAM to run! So hopefully someone gets it running soon to tell us how it works. I would try but I seriously need a new MS. (Note the 8MB is only minimum requirements)

alepus
August 15th, 2005, 01:49
red alert, tomb raider... you call that old dos games...?

i was thinking about games like:
4d boxing, prehistorik, outrun, gold of the aztecs, commander keen, prince of persia.

lets say that this emu in comparison is like a 468 dx 33mhz... (and i think i'm exaggerating a bit) there should be no way to run tomb raider at a playable speed..

Tomppa
August 15th, 2005, 05:53
No unsigned applets on 2.0? So every european who didnt buy his psp from somewhere else will be watching foreign people do useful things that they cant do? Tomb Raider :eek: Command & Conquer :eek: Omg... well be happy you 1.5x people...

PSP_Newbie
August 15th, 2005, 07:56
thats right tomppa, only those with a 1.0 or a 1.5 psp can run ANY unsigned software on the psp; that rules out 1.51, 1.52, 2.0, and all future versions until someone figures out a hack for it. those in europe, etc, can still buy theirs from lik-sang or whatever its called and have it imported...for a fee of course tho.

NeoXCS
August 15th, 2005, 12:04
lets say that this emu in comparison is like a 468 dx 33mhz...

Well actually I'm thinking its "at least" a 486/66 MhZ emulation. Just a guess of course. Which is good enough for Red Alert. But yeah I think Tomb Raider is just a bit extream to be run (Don't know the specs so correct me if im wrong!). :D Well I should dust off my old "The Elder Scrolls: Arena"! :D

indstr
August 15th, 2005, 13:19
red alert, tomb raider... you call that old dos games...?

i was thinking about games like:
4d boxing, prehistorik, outrun, gold of the aztecs, commander keen, prince of persia.

lets say that this emu in comparison is like a 468 dx 33mhz... (and i think i'm exaggerating a bit) there should be no way to run tomb raider at a playable speed..

agreed. games like tomb raider & red alert don't even really run well in dosbox on a 3ghz machine. i'm HOPING this thing is as fast as a 486 33.... can somebody please post reports of how fast DOS games are running? if i had a psp i would do it myself, but i'm still waiting to get my money back from the ****ar who ripped me off on ebay. :(

indstr
August 15th, 2005, 13:21
Well actually I'm thinking its "at least" a 486/66 MhZ emulation. Just a guess of course. Which is good enough for Red Alert. But yeah I think Tomb Raider is just a bit extream to be run (Don't know the specs so correct me if im wrong!). :D Well I should dust off my old "The Elder Scrolls: Arena"! :D

i wouldn't be so sure about that. try running a dos emulator on a fast computer, you will still find that even games from the 486 33 era don't all run perfectly. i think we will be LUCKY if the psp is even as fast as a 386

shadowprophet
August 15th, 2005, 15:27
Ive been for two days now, working out some bugs ive got in my windows 95 install. To this emu. at first I only had bad sectors on my hard drive image. I thought that was really odd. Now it takes forever to scandisk one of those images within the emu. So I went to sleep last night letting it scan. Upon wakeing up this morning. My pc was locked up. Nothing would bring it out of this, So like most peope I went to plan B, I just cut the power and let it reboot.
Only to hear this awful low pitch beep. Now this is not a normal beep like booting up a pc, This was a low pitch beep.If youve worked on a few systems you start to learn, that all those beeps have a different meaning. This was unmistakibly a memory error. So I droped to cmos set it to slow memory scan. So I could see the problem. Only to find out half my system memory was fried!:eek:
Now normaly this could be called a coiencidence. But system memory doesnt fry for just any reason:mad: And since this program was the only thing I had going on,
I assume that this is what did this. now im not asking everyone to be careful. And watch out and all that damn jazz. Im not stateing anything but the facts. Cause I know if I did people are gonna come out of the freaking woodworks telling me how this and that and all kinds of other bullshit. I KNOW WHAT HAPPENED!. And I know this isnt normal. And I blame this program. Or my abuse of this program. At any rate. there you have it . The solid facts :(
And one pissed off shadowprophet:mad:

Update. Umm boy this is really hard to admit too, but I feel it necessary.
upon troubleshooting, and removeing my memory and reseating it. my memory is now recognized, and working fully :rolleyes: . I already feel enough like a novice for not doing this earlier. But the problem still seems to be connected somhow with bochs. Still it didnt fry my memory, which is good:p
However im going to leave this post as a shrine to remember how I made that novice mistake- that morning_ and didnt do the first thing any tech should do.troubleshoot.

Shadowprophet. Cause he shouldnt touch a pc,untill hes wide awake :p

shadowprophet
August 16th, 2005, 04:25
So I finely got windows 95 going on my psp. Its spiffy I guess, But theres mouse problems, And since there is no type of keyboard input im pretty much stuck at the desktop. Anybody figured out how to make the mouse work right ?

update. Well ive been reading around, the mouse thing seems to be a common problem, hmm. oh well, I feel better that at least I got windows working on the thing. Time for my next project, Lua here I come again :p

Chimple
August 16th, 2005, 14:11
Well, I've finally managed to get DOS 6.22 working, with Dune 2.

Command and Conquer just resets bochs, warcraft needs a return press (I think) to continue, so they're no good :(

Dune is running at a good 1.3 fps, I'm sure an old 286 would give it a run for its money, but at least its working, I'm impressed anyway!

Illuga
August 16th, 2005, 15:26
Shadow get yourself into the start menu / programs / accessories / accessibility /on screen keyboard (thats the xp location but it should be somewhere like that on win95).

Should give it a little more functionality.

indstr
August 16th, 2005, 16:42
Well, I've finally managed to get DOS 6.22 working, with Dune 2.

Command and Conquer just resets bochs, warcraft needs a return press (I think) to continue, so they're no good :(

Dune is running at a good 1.3 fps, I'm sure an old 286 would give it a run for its money, but at least its working, I'm impressed anyway!

good to know. maybe we can play old 8088 games like alley cat and bouncing babies at decent speeds though

shadowprophet
August 16th, 2005, 17:41
Shadow get yourself into the start menu / programs / accessories / accessibility /on screen keyboard (thats the xp location but it should be somewhere like that on win95).

Should give it a little more functionality.

thanx bro:p

Valiant
August 16th, 2005, 17:47
shoot I truely look forward to this working well. Man this would own a Pocket PC regarding all its new homebrew stuff.

Cap'n 1time
August 16th, 2005, 18:08
So I finely got windows 95 going on my psp. Its spiffy I guess, But theres mouse problems, And since there is no type of keyboard input im pretty much stuck at the desktop. Anybody figured out how to make the mouse work right ?

update. Well ive been reading around, the mouse thing seems to be a common problem, hmm. oh well, I feel better that at least I got windows working on the thing. Time for my next project, Lua here I come again :p

there is somthing in the bochblah*.bxrc file that says:

chang it to

I think that will fix you. :)

shadowprophet
August 16th, 2005, 19:01
thanx guys :p got windows working and I learned how to use the mouse:p
and by the way 1timeuser lol my mouse was dissabled in the config file lol:p I must have forgot to enable it lol. I say that I learned how because it does work :p It just seems to have very poor calibration. But thats okay once you get used to it its seconed nature :p
Ive took all my files and work, striped it down to barebones. meaning there isnt anything for the a drive or the cd rom anymore. Just the boot from c and the hard drive image itself. And Ive backed it up on to a cd with every directory and config file, ready to be copied over the the psp. I called it psp win95.
all ziped up its only about 110 megs. And I will never have to go through this horible experience ever again.. and if it where allowed I would be happy to host this file for people. but I assume hosting such a thing would get me banned :(

NeoXCS
August 17th, 2005, 09:23
Dune 2 was slow and C&C didnt work! Darn, i was looking forward to trying the original Command & Conquer! Oh well, back to just playing around with console emulators.:D

Chimple
August 17th, 2005, 10:21
I'll have a look for those 8086 games and see if they work!

C&C crashed when running bochs on my desktop, I'll have a look to see if theres any error message. But even if it does run, it wouldn't be close to being playable yet!

Are there anymore recommendations for real old games to try!??

alepus
August 17th, 2005, 15:45
I'll have a look for those 8086 games and see if they work!

C&C crashed when running bochs on my desktop, I'll have a look to see if theres any error message. But even if it does run, it wouldn't be close to being playable yet!

Are there anymore recommendations for real old games to try!??

4d boxing, prehistorik, outrun, gold of the aztecs, commander keen, prince of persia, alley cat, larry, Arkanoid, Breakout, tetris, defender.

defender,alley cat and tetris should be the ones who run the best.

i guess the best advice would be to make dosshell start at bootup (add it to autoexec) and then you could start games from there.

Cap'n 1time
August 17th, 2005, 16:05
It would be nice if someone made a DCemu exclusive compilation of some legal dos games for boches. anyone up for it?

alepus
August 17th, 2005, 16:22
It would be nice if someone made a DCemu exclusive compilation of some legal dos games for boches. anyone up for it?

google the games... alot of them are abandonware and can be downloaded free and legally.

Cap'n 1time
August 17th, 2005, 16:31
google the games... alot of them are abandonware and can be downloaded free and legally.

abandonware isnt always legal.

alepus
August 17th, 2005, 18:38
abandonware isnt always legal.

true.. but anyway. just google and u'll find all the games in the matter of minutes... or use dc++ or something like that..

ps.
remember that it could be illegal to download some games.

mart19902004
September 3rd, 2005, 19:32
[INDENT]i see on the forum that a lot of you have got win95 to work on the psp :) , would you mind sending me the files through a torrent or rapid share or e mail if you upload 110mb ,i would be very greatfull for this
thanks. :rolleyes:

email back

[email protected]

mart19902004
September 4th, 2005, 19:27
please would some send me the stuff with out the img ill get that i just need every thing eles thanks e mail [email protected]

urherenow
September 5th, 2005, 16:49
@Shadowprophet...

I do believe you were a victim of chip creep, but that's just MHO :P

Now how did you get the mouse working on the PSP?

mart19902004
September 5th, 2005, 20:54
on the configeration file enable 1 (at the bottom)
the mouse is hard to use u need to keep pressing it quickly would you please send me your win 95 img please thankz

mart19902004
September 7th, 2005, 21:02
i need help i gt so far but i dono naw how to stop scan disk in bochs help please thankz?

OmegaNine
September 8th, 2005, 22:53
The deal is it will never get faster, but on the other hand, if you are just going to say ssh or telnet in to something on an open WiFi you will not really need it to be ;-) This is going to rock my wold when I get a linux CLI running. My question is keyboard...How the hell will that work?

mart19902004
September 8th, 2005, 23:48
how do ya get past scan disc?

vincesecuricor2005
October 24th, 2005, 20:14
Great but...........i aint got win 95

Maxdamantus
March 5th, 2006, 07:55
Woot! Got DLX working, now to try Windows =0
DLX is completly useless on PSP since theres no keyboard support (yet) but good to see it works on my PSP (FW: 1.5)

Is it meant to hang at "ROOT FAT" for a while, or am I doing something wrong (Trying to run some freedos thing) =\

Valiant
March 5th, 2006, 10:46
way to ressurect a 6 month post to say something that has been already stated X_X

ricflairandy
March 9th, 2006, 22:18
We need a keyboard.Im gutted that the flip down one was scrapped. It looked fantastic.

chawkiz_gsm
July 25th, 2006, 15:28
i think all this problem sloved when putting all contenent of memory card in torrent or rapide share

and no all memeber yopu must have win95 work in sumple clik only save the memory stik with winrar and post it in rapid share i think this best solution

plz member got win95 work good compress it and send it in rapidsahre

thx

Jack_Deth
October 3rd, 2006, 15:25
I am trying to run FreeDos with Bochs.

I have my autoexec created. However, there is a part where I need to press enter, that is before the autoexec.bat is called. It is where the "Default: F1" that ShadowProphet also mentioned in page 3 or 4 of this thread but I didn't see any answer to his question.

pob-pnuk
October 3rd, 2006, 16:49
thats f*cking amazing

F9zDark
October 3rd, 2006, 17:44
This project is dead guys. There has been no news (as far as I am aware) from the coder in more than a year.

Sad too, with Danzeff keyboard out, that would have been great to some how implement...

Also alot of problems abound anyway: for instance, how does one enable WiFi in Windows95? WiFi didn't even exist back then, let alone a driver architecture that the PSP could understand.

Another possible route is to have a button activate native PSP systems (WiFi, IR, USB). This *may* be possible, but without the source of original programmer, we're gonna have one hell of a time doing anything of the sort.

munkey_boy
October 20th, 2006, 15:20
Hello all! Could somebody please post a working folder so all we have to do is just put the img file ina ceartain directory and have it called like image.img so us noobs who cant figure out can enjoy this?

Thanks, munkey_boy.