PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC: video games an 'easy scapegoat'

wraggster
February 19th, 2008, 20:08
In the wake of the NIU shooting and various pundits finding ways to link violent video games to the tragedy, MSNBC has decided to defend video games, specifically calling out infamous attorney Jack Thompson for his self promotion during school shootings. (They have done this once before during the Virginia Tech massacre.)

In a piece entitled "Playing the blame game: Why search our souls when video games make such an easy scapegoat?" MSNBC's Winda Benedetti writes, "Faster than you can say wild speculation and reckless sensationalism, [Thompson] leapt in front of Fox News cameras and suggested that video games were to blame." Later, Benedetti adds, "The fact is, one would be hard pressed to find a young man of Kazmierczak's age who has not played video games."

Thompson is, unsurprisingly, a bit put out. In an email to MSNBC legal department forwarded to us by Thompson, the Miami attorney asserted his intention to "bring a civil action in state court in Flordia for libel." Thompson further called the two articles "hit pieces" and "crazed and libelous screed" and mentions that NBC did not mind having him on the Today Show / NBC Nightly news about ten times.

"But once my criticism began to inconvenience Bill Gates' NBC partner, Microsoft, (MSNBC.com is a 50/50 partnership) then all of a sudden I'm the Anti-Christ," said Thompson.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/19/msnbc-video-games-an-easy-scapegoat/

myuusmeow
February 19th, 2008, 23:30
Libel and "crazed" my ass, it's all true.

Ziim
February 20th, 2008, 00:28
Jack Thompson IS the Anti Christ! I cant believe it took him this long to figure it out... Go back to HELL Jack, their waiting for you Arshole.

Mini Moose
February 20th, 2008, 01:52
I think is just absolutely ridiculous whenever someone blames video games for a crime, or whatever the case my be.

mike_jmg
February 20th, 2008, 02:48
all of a sudden... bah!
you were right from the begining, go back to hell

wolfpack
February 20th, 2008, 03:27
just NOW finally MSNBC finally listens?

about damn time, time to put Jack Thompson back in his hole

ish420ism
February 21st, 2008, 03:06
Libel and "crazed" my ass, it's all true.

I think you're correct.
I think JT makes a valid argument. These mass shootings were not happening 15 years ago. In fact, the U.S. population wouldn't stand for suicidal mass killers 15 years ago.

These killer simulators were first introduced to the millitary sector and after, formated for a commercial market.

Now look who is defending these simulators..NBC, the mass media, big financial corperations. Step back and look at the bigger picture.

Also, look at how a lot of these people defend their culture, but when it comes time to defend the stability of the nation, People are nowhere to be found.
just an IDEA:D