PDA

View Full Version : Blackjack DS v0.4

wraggster
February 19th, 2008, 20:20
News/release from ScottMcfly: (http://palib.info/forum/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&type=&topic_id=4279&forum=9)

Since this is the fourth release of this, I've decided to stop calling it "My First Homebrew", as it's actually starting to take shape now and I don't need that excuse anymore

So here's Version 0.4! Main additions in this release:

* A basic stats page has been added to help you keep track of your win/draw/loss record and how many blackjack's you've racked up. These reset when you return to the main menu.

* The background has now been extended over both screens, so the top screen is now no longer just black, which makes it look a lot better IMO.

* The buttons now fade-out when going to the next page to add a bit of polish to the game.

* If the player gets blackjack, the dealer will no longer take any cards (as there's no point!) unless they're on a 10 or an ace in which case they take one more card to check if they have blackjack too.

* General tweaks to the split card system in regards to giving you new cards and how they appear on screen.

* And finally a nice sound effect on button presses, the first piece of audio to make it into a release, hooray!

As I mentioned, there's a lot of transparency now used in the game with the buttons and the white strip behind the player and dealer scores. So make sure the emulator you're playing on supports it or it'll just look weird, but as always I recommend playing on actual hardware for the full experience.

Now, with the background now on the top screen, I had to add some white strips to make the scores visible, which isn't ideal and I don't like the way it looks quite frankly. But this is only temporary, and I have plans for the next release that will mean they won't be needed anymore.

As for that next release, I'll be expanding the stats page, hopefully improving the graphics on the top screen some more and perhaps get some instructions written up so that people unfamiliar with the game can learn to play!

Any feedback is appreciated, hope you enjoy it!

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments