PDA

View Full Version : Sony's Solid Hardware Numbers

wraggster
February 19th, 2008, 21:10
The Famitsu Marketing Data Service recently released their monthly report for January 2008, and Sony's three systems did very well in Japan during the first month of the year. Recording data from December 31st, 2007 to January 27th, 2008, 1,729,034 hardware units were sold across Japan. The PSP was the most popular piece of Sony hardware sold during the month, with almost 400,000 units. Surprisingly, the PSP even bested Nintendo's Wii in the second week of the month, selling almost 84,000 units to the Wiis' 82,000 units. The PSP's incredibly strong start gave it 23.1% of the total market share for January, which was only behind that of the Nintendo DS Lite and the Nintendo Wii.

The PS3 and PS2 didn't have a bad start in2008 either, with respectable numbers for January. The PS3 moved almost 166,000 units of hardware, taking a 9.6% share of the Japanese market. The venerable PS2 still managed to sell extremely well, moving almost 74,000 units and gathering 4.3% of the market share. While these numbers may seem light, any one of Sony's three consoles easily left the Xbox 360 in the dust, which only moved 27,000 units and acquired a meager 1.6% of the Japanese market. Plus, with all of their numbers combined, all three Sony systems accounted for 37% of systems sold in January, which is a rather good start to the year.

http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/853/853091p1.html

Eviltaco64
February 19th, 2008, 21:19
To all the Nintendo fanboys that said the PSP and PS3 were dead : :rofl:

mcdougall57
February 20th, 2008, 00:26
i honestly think ps3 sales will pick up due to hd-dvd being dead and it is the cheapest blue ray option around, so good luck to you sony fanboys who only desire to see the xbox 360 and wii fail miserably :)

mind you ill have a ps3 soon :)

Napalm-Death
February 20th, 2008, 00:40
I remember when people were trying to get me to get a 360. HA HA. Like hell I'm getting a 360, especially now.
mcdougall, I'll add you on the PSN when you get it.

jeegee
February 20th, 2008, 00:46

Nuff said :)
ps3 is a great way to get a cheap blu ray player with the added functionality of the best next gen gaming, streaming music and video, browsing net etc etc :)
rock on SONY :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Veskgar
February 20th, 2008, 05:42
Yes, people can crack jokes about the PS3 not having any games, etc. etc. but those days are behind us. I prefer the PS3 to my XBOX 360 however there are some games on 360 that don't have alternatives on the PS3 such as Halo 3, Gears of War, etc.

Also, I'm glad to hear that Blu-Ray is the inevitable winner of the HD format wars. Blu-Ray is better, plain and simple, and consumers know it. Sales show it too.

And the PSP has turned into a little juggernaut with all of the cool firmware features, new slim design, and an ever expanding library of really great games.

All in all I have to say that SONY played it smart taking the slow and steady approach. In the end it looks like they have done quite well and have little to fear from the competition.

Hiei311
February 20th, 2008, 11:56
hasnt sony always taken the slower route and always came out on top???? at first i never heard a ps1 untill my cuzin brought it over, then the ps2 started out pretty slow then like destoryed xbox and gamcecube, psp also had a very slow start then 2007-2008 is picking up, and so is the new ps3, i always loved sony game systems, cuz they were a nice black lol, but also very good hardware and had the games i like to play
good job sony =D

NoQuarter
February 20th, 2008, 17:16
Told you so...

Over and over I said this was coming.

Triv1um
February 20th, 2008, 20:56
Told you so...

Over and over I said this was coming.

Same here.

I even brought my PS3 on UK release. I knew it.

Basil Zero
February 23rd, 2008, 17:33
i honestly know ps3 sales will pick up due to hd-dvd being dead and it is the cheapest blue ray option around, so good luck to you sony fanboys who only desire to see the xbox 360 fail miserably :)

Fixed

I'll be getting my Wii this weekend and a ps3 hopefully in summer =)

and yes, i'm glad now that i know what format to focus on in the future :thumbup: