PDA

View Full Version : Geodata Help Plz!!!!!!!

kiwi32
February 22nd, 2008, 21:56
Hello world:p
Got some problems getting geodata.dat file.
I already create a map(canadian one).
Now I want the geodata.
So I click on geodata in GMDL,then select STATCAN,(http://www.in7ane.com/psp/statcan_rnf_v3/)
then load my map.
It says there is 1042 counties.
There is the problem.It load a list of number and I can select some,and create geodata.dat.
But there is A LOT of case that I can select to dwnl,and this is too long to select(lol it will takes me 3 year).
So my questions:
1-what all these number means,wich one I need to selcect for a map of quebec,and how do I select them?
2-how I can select all case?
3-or if you prefer(i will prefer so)
just give me the geodata.dat file for canada.
Thanks!:thumbup::);)

kiwi32
February 25th, 2008, 02:11
UP please!!

kiwi32
February 25th, 2008, 16:37
why nobody answer me??
Please!

in7ane
March 6th, 2008, 20:09
Sorry for the _very_ late reply.

The numbers are squares that Canada is broken down into (they do not have any logical meaning), when you load a map to get geodata for it GMDL will select the correct ones (click 2/3 Select for map).

It is not be a good idea to select all - the resulting geodata.dat file is too large and will not work properly with Map This!, in fact it seems to fail to build since there are too many entries.

I will take a look at creating individual whole-province ones, this will take a while though since the dataset has to be rebuilt from the ground up to do this.

jsd125
March 13th, 2008, 22:29
so it is possible to get geodata for canada??????

in7ane
March 20th, 2008, 01:19
Yes, for a new map:

Check GeoData (bottom right) and select Canada, the download the map as ususal.

For an existing map, from: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Global_Map_Download_Tool#Creating_GeoData.DAT_for_ an_existing_map

1) Click GeoData (top left)
2) Select the StatCan RNF tab
3) Click 1/3 - Select map and select the map
4) Click 2/3 - Select for map
5) Click 3/3 - Save geodata.dat
6) Wait, and that's it.

kiwi32
March 21st, 2008, 02:12
I just get geodata for qeubec!
When you made up the map just check geodata,and for me at least it works!:p:rolleyes::cool:

gavin6300
April 28th, 2008, 20:37
can someone help me with geodata for vancouver? :(

andreq
April 29th, 2008, 19:31
Hi,

I've been reading man topics recently and I've add a flash...

Is there any place where we could share maps/geodata files so newcomer wouldn't have to redownload all the data from googlemap (or others) ?

deniska
April 30th, 2008, 17:55
sharing pre-made maps, would go against Terms of Use agreements of most of the map vendors... some foreign forums still provide references to file-sharing sites...

andreq
April 30th, 2008, 18:10
I could understand for most "paid" map...

but I just had to load about 3gb of data from google map... was this really necessary.

Those google map are "free", sharing them should be "ok"

Anyway GMDL works great!

Is there any plan to add "route calculation" in MapThis ?
It's the only thing I miss from my Magellan explorist 400.

andreq
April 30th, 2008, 21:26
Sorry for this double post... and out of topic idea...

but I was just reading some info on route calculation and pathfinding... and I think I could try to port an A* pathfinding code. I never ever looked at PSP coding but anyway if I start something I'll try it first on a simple windows implementation.

I'd like to know if you have any more info on the geodata files. I think It should be possible to get some "nodes" and link them to calculate the path (I'll try a really basic path finding at first... ignoring one-way road).

If I can do anything to add this feature to MapThis I'll do my best to help. I think it's a "necessary" feature when your on the go without any Wifi access.

Nieko
May 8th, 2008, 10:47
You can take a look at the scripts I made to extract Dutch geodata here: http://stuff.nieko.net/psp/mapthis/geodata/