PDA

View Full Version : The DCEmu Interview - Question 12 - Whats the Greatest FPS Game Released ?

wraggster
February 23rd, 2008, 23:38
http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/dcemu2008.gif

A feature i did a few years ago and one im going to repeat now is the DCEmu Interview, a unique idea in which questions are asked by me to the Whole DCEmu Community its a way to learn more about each others and find out what our interests are and much more

Todays Question is Whats the Greatest FPS Game Released ? Give your Answer via Comments.

Remember to check out our DCEmu Interview Site (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/) to catch up on previous DCEmu Interview Questions

The DCEmu Interview - Question 1 - What Consoles Do You Own ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-1-what-consoles-do-you-own--82867.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 2 - Whats Your Favourite Console Of All Time (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-2-whats-your-favourite-console-of-all-time-83029.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 3 - Whats Your New Years Resolution ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-3-whats-your-new-years-resolution--83130.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 4 - What Got you Interested in Homebrew/Emulation ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-4-what-got-you-interested-in-homebrew-emulation--83212.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 5 - Whats the greatest Game Ever ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-5-whats-the-greatest-game-ever--83477.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 6 - Whats the Greatest Homebrew Console? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-6-whats-the-greatest-homebrew-console--83559.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 7 - Whats the Greatest Homebrew Handheld? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-7-whats-the-greatest-homebrew-handheld--83580.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 8 - Whos the Greatest Homebrew Hacker/Coder and Why ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-8-whos-the-greatest-homebrew-hacker-coder-and-why--85365.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 9 - Whats the Greatest Emulator Released? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-9-whats-the-greatest-emulator-released--87819.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 10 - What Game(S) Would you like to see Remade ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-10-what-game-s-would-you-like-to-see-remade--89091.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 11 - Whats the Greatest Platform Game Released ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-11-whats-the-greatest-platform-game-released--90432.html)

Anonymous D
February 23rd, 2008, 23:41
half life 2 is pretty far up there if not the best, although i havent played episode 2 yet so i cant comment on that part of it. it also has the awesomely fun garry's mod.

bobbob08
February 23rd, 2008, 23:42
Doom, it really got the whole series going, and it opened up the modding community basically. Next I say is Half-Life.

Suzuka09
February 23rd, 2008, 23:46
I would say half life 2, but i think Doom gets it because it was one of the first and it really helped FPS take off

myuusmeow
February 23rd, 2008, 23:54
Doom, has a feel none other can match.

one winged angel
February 23rd, 2008, 23:55
counter strike of course:eek::eek::eek:

mike_jmg
February 23rd, 2008, 23:56
The first one I played and really liked
Killzone on the PS2
Imagine how angry I was when I saw Kilzone Liberation on the psp, and it wasn't a FPS, WTF is wrong with them?

____anders____
February 23rd, 2008, 23:56
i want to say doom too, it's still really fun to play after all these years, i'm playing it on my sandisk sansa with the rockbox firmware when i'm bored..
i just can't believe they got it running in full speed without ANY lag on Sandisk Sansa :D

Number 2 is probably Unreal Tournament -99 it's very good and fun to play, instagib rules!

EDIT: Post #50!! :D

BlueSlime
February 24th, 2008, 00:00
One word :
Doom, its the best.
Doom is simply the best, it revolutionized the FPS genre and helped it really take off just like everyone has said already. But I have very good memories of when i was very young playing through Doom 2, I've been playing that game since and I'm still playing it. I think I have it on nearly every system I have, be it official or homebrew, if Doom is on it, you bet I'll have it. Second place would be... Blake Stone, because you all know you love it.

dankbeats
February 24th, 2008, 00:16
Half-Life.... made me a gamer again after a 5 year hiatus. I was never an rpg gamer and missed out on the n64 and ps1 era so this was this first game I played with an great storyline. Also, finding out about, figuring how to work, and finally playing those awesome mods blew my freakin mind. I lost so many hours to Firearms and day of defeat.

SnoopKatt
February 24th, 2008, 02:32
Perfect Dark. It's a great FPS for everyone from novice challenges to parts where it will challenge even the best players. It's also ridiculously fun.

booradley1212
February 24th, 2008, 02:33
10- Noone Lives Forever
9- Perfect Dark
8- Quake
7- Halo 2 (multiplayer)
6- Jedi Knight
5- Dark Forces
4- Goldeneye
3- Half Life

2- Doom 2
How can you ever forget the Spiders? Or the Archvile?

1- Half Life 2
This game was pure magic. Traveling the country side, the gravity gun...Alyx...*sigh*

booradley1212
February 24th, 2008, 02:36
Perfect Dark doesn't get the respect it deserves. Not only is it an insanely challenging 1 player game, the addition of coop and counterop (your friend works to KEEP you from completing the mission) AND an incredible array of multiplayer modes just brought it over the top. They even included bots in multiplayer...something that I feel should be a staple in games today. How fun is it to play Halo multiplayer in 2 player? YAWN! Throw some bots on there to play against and now we're talking!

wolfpack
February 24th, 2008, 03:41
Best N64 FPS - Perfect Dark
Best Oldschool FPS - Wolfenstein, dooms grand daddy
Best 360 FPS - Well in my opinion, it would have to be Halo 3, i like it better than Call of Duty 4, dunno why even though that one is a great game too.

Great FPS Game Overall - Doom 3 in my opinion anyways, because it set the new standards for gaming on PC and the XBOX. A lot of games nowadays use a modified version of this engine so i gotta say i like doom 3 the best.

wind_mill
February 24th, 2008, 03:47
I remember playing Duke nukem 3d for hours on end..... For me its a tie between duke nukem 3d and quake 2, and maybe heretic. for some inexplicable reason i really enjoyed that game.

gopherbob
February 24th, 2008, 04:00
Doom on the snes was my first fps and I really liked it.

I would have to say personally Goldeneye 64 is my all time favorite fps. I spent so many hours on that game either trying to beat the facility super fast to unlock invincibility or playing with friends in its multiplayer.

Doom showed the world how awesome FPS's can be.

Goldeneye 64 showed the world that console FPS's can be just as awesome.

I always feel like I missed something great never playing perfect dark back in the day... :(

bah
February 24th, 2008, 04:03
GLQuake (Quake 1 accelerated by a voodoo2 with a separate 2d card like real men use, now that's gaming) and qwcl (QuakeWorld Client).

Gamespy was once quakespy before it started down the long road to sucking.

End of discussion, the thread can be locked now. :D

Zargon
February 24th, 2008, 04:57
To throw my two bits in: Halo 2 was a hell of a lot better than Halo 3. Everything that came new in this game was either based on something that was created by someone for Halo:Custom Edition or was a waste of time

Now that's outta the way, Half-life 2 was undoubtedly the best FPS I have ever played.

Balthasar00
February 24th, 2008, 05:25
Quake 3 arena for me :D

jamotto
February 24th, 2008, 05:37
Has no story:

Serious Sam

Has a story:

Outlaws

Keitaro Urashima
February 24th, 2008, 05:40
I think, BioShock is greatest FPS game ever released.:D

Dull Blade
February 24th, 2008, 06:03
Perfect Dark doesn't get the respect it deserves. Not only is it an insanely challenging 1 player game, the addition of coop and counterop (your friend works to KEEP you from completing the mission) AND an incredible array of multiplayer modes just brought it over the top. They even included bots in multiplayer...something that I feel should be a staple in games today. How fun is it to play Halo multiplayer in 2 player? YAWN! Throw some bots on there to play against and now we're talking!

Finally some one gives a good game recognigtion. that game offered everything, bots, more multiplayer modes than you could shake a stick, insane customization, and a resonably good single player. People just overlook it now a days because most people are graphics babys and wont play anything in less than 720p def. If you just take the core gameplay elements, perfect dark kills almost everything on the market.

bah
February 24th, 2008, 08:04
I think you guys are miss-reading the question.
Greatest FPS ever, not greatest console FPS ever. Console FPSs with their aim assistance, big hit boxes and gameplay being designed around coping with the lack of mouse are almost a different genre.

An FPS with a joypad is like running wearing flippers.

DarthPaul
February 24th, 2008, 08:11
I think, BioShock is greatest FPS game ever released.:D

Amen to that. :)

BioShock and Call of Duty 4 are the FPS that I've enjoyed the most. I didn't play Doom 3, and haven't played Half-Life 2 enough to say it's the best....

MikeRocke
February 24th, 2008, 08:49
Im ashamed to see no one has mention quake 2

Quake 2 is far the best, look at the improvement of multiplayer, graphics, ai and weaponry. Quake 2 has been ported to many a different console too!!

What would of happened without quake 2?
No half life thats for sure.

Pilot_51
February 24th, 2008, 09:17
For me it's Battlefield 1942. It's the one FPS that I've come back to the most time and time again since I got it in 2002 and my Xfire profile shows it. I'm still actively creating maps and mods for it.

Quake 2 would be my favorite classic, it was one of my first game addictions when I bought my first PC (350MHz AMD K6 w/8MB AGP2x video card and 32MB SDRAM). My favorite mod is No Item Quake (NIQ), which just removed all the items from the map (duh) and gave all players the same weapon and switched weapons at a server-configured interval.

Another of my favorite classics is Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear, which I've played on the MSN Gaming Zone a lot before I got my own PC. It was the first FPS that I wished was ported to handheld, at the time I was hopeful it could be ported to GBA in [almost] all its glory using the BlueRoses 3D engine.

I like Unreal Tournament 2003/4 for its mod-friendliness and its lack of the annoying copy protection that nearly every other game has (specifically the requirement of the disk to play) and how they release tons of free content. My favorite mod is Deathball, which is sort of a brutal fast-paced version of soccer/hockey/rugby/football; it covered both UT2003 and UT2004.

System Shock 2 pretty much introduced the concept of an FPSRPG game and it along with the original System Shock is the roots of BioShock. I find it a shame that so many people never heard of it. For example, I once noticed someone said BioShock took an idea from another game when in fact that idea was used in System Shock and that other game was released after System Shock. I forget exactly what the idea was, but I think it had something to do with the hacking mechanism. Anyway, System Shock 2 was way underrated and it's easily one of my top 10 favorite PC games of all time.

Some other favorites:
Wolfenstein 3D
Half-Life series
Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield
America's Army
Battlefield 2
Battlefield: Vietnam

evilmarshy
February 24th, 2008, 10:34
I would have to say for single player Quake 2 beat's all, me and my friend still play Quake 2 coop today and it is still fun.

For multi player Unreal Tournament 2004 (UT3 is a bit ass).

For anyone who hasn't played them play them. Oh and don't play them on a console, they don't have the same feel as on PC.

Most played FPS ever has to be the doom series, I bet there's loads of people playing that game now in a LAN party.

MicroNut
February 24th, 2008, 10:38
All the ID games.
John Carmack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_D._Carmack) made the FPS what it is.

#1 Doom
#2 Quake2
#3 Unreal T3
#4 Bioshock
#5 Return to Castle Wolfenstein

kjetil1991
February 24th, 2008, 12:08
on gamecube metroid prime on pc half life 2

robman84
February 24th, 2008, 12:31
The one that "moved" me the most was Operation Flashpoint. Never before (or since) in a game have I spent so long lying down in a field hiding and hoping that no-one would see me whilst simultaneously cacking my pants. None of this running straight at people shooting them X number of times before they die nonsense. The feeling of being at serious risk has never been done better IMHO.

That said, the graphics are awful.

ojdon
February 24th, 2008, 13:07
Overall, Got to be the Half-Life Series, I think they made quite an impact on the genre. I have a few recent favourites, FarCry being on of them because of the Level Editor (That's the only good point about it.) And a few more...

newb_fo_life
February 24th, 2008, 16:16
Cutie quake xD,nah half-life or doom,they really started off fps

JKKDARK
February 24th, 2008, 16:34
Unreal Tournament, definately. I love playing it online or multi-player.

Cerepol
February 24th, 2008, 16:44
I can't decide between Goldeneye and DooM, both made awesome new steps in the FPS category, DooM basically revolutionizing it and same with Goldeneye.

Jonesyxxiv
February 24th, 2008, 17:27
I would say the best FPS of current gen systems is Call of Duty 4 but, the best FPS of all time is Perfect Dark.

Veskgar
February 24th, 2008, 21:05
I'd have to say that GoldenEye 007 for the N64 was what really opened my eyes to how fun a FPS could be. Especially with multiplayer.

For modern day I'd have to say the Halo trilogy due to its endless replay value and innovative matchmaking and party system making multiplayer a blast. Halo may not be the best FPS ever but it seems to appeal to the widest audience and even die hard gamers keep coming back to connect with friends on XBOX Live.

Vixtro
February 24th, 2008, 23:30
Rainbow Six 3.

Wast... *AHEM*, I mean enjoyed countless hours with that game on Xbox Live.

Perfect Dark and Halo are right up there though although don't care for there sequels at all!

the_eternal_dark
February 25th, 2008, 02:36
What's with everyone thinking Halo was a groundbreaking game series?? The story blows, the multi player blows, the weapons blow, and not only that, how many games have included military vs aliens already?

That said, Wolfenstein, Doom series, Quake series, and the Unreal Tournament series (as well as the original Unreal, but II was terrible).

The_It
February 25th, 2008, 15:00
1. Team Fortress 2
2. Unreal Tournament 99
3. Half Life 2
4. Bioshock
3. Counter Strike Source.

dark heart
February 26th, 2008, 07:07
i would say half-life but i spent months making a clone for the psp which made me sick of HL, and then it got wiped with the rest of my stuff by accident when i updated my computer. SO i'm handing it to BLOOD i can't get over the way you can blow zombie's heads off and kick em around :D

ReoEagle
February 26th, 2008, 07:17
Wow. I love Q2, and I hated Bioshock, it felt DUMBED down steampunk verison of System Shock 2. It was pretty, but System Shock 2 tripped me out for a long time, Half-Life was amazing and it rather sucks that it got lost when it got super popular.I can't believe I'm the only one who loved System Shock 2? Blasphemy

jamesmc3stripe
February 28th, 2008, 21:25
why has noone mentiond timesplitters 2 it was amazing

reliantkcar
March 1st, 2008, 16:34
As far as multi player I'd say HALO 1 is the best the sniping the vehicles and the graphics are spot on.....

For single player Doom is the best for me the shotgun rules....

for goin against bots Unreal tournement on dreamcast is the best more levels better visuals than the ps2 version and up to 7 bots on some levels it's still very fun....

spikegrantham
March 16th, 2008, 14:11
Has to be Counterstrike, hands down.

And System Shock 2 ofcourse has to be one of the top 5 games ever created, I would class it as a RPG tho, not pure FPS

omadeli
March 16th, 2008, 21:18
i wud say say timesplitters 2 on ps2 it gt me into FPS ive got doom on ps1 but i was too scary 4 me at da tym (im 15) afta timesplitters 2 probley cod4 on ps3

omadeli
March 16th, 2008, 21:19

me and u think alike timesplitters 2 is a godly game

imoneofthem
April 6th, 2008, 10:37
1. Blood (nobody's mentioned this so far)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7mWIluq-RU&feature=related

2. Quake 3 Arena
3. Unreal Tournament 2004
4. Halo 1
5. Heretic
6. Ghost Recon 1
7. Rainbow 6
8. Serious Sam 2 (the original version)
9. Duke Nukem 3D
10. 007 Agent Under fire (the hookshot was fun)

Eviltaco64
April 6th, 2008, 16:27
Super Noah's Ark 3D! for the SNES.

JKKDARK
April 6th, 2008, 18:29

mm EA games suck :/

beetroot bertie
April 7th, 2008, 17:29
I've missed out on a lot of FPSs due to my choice in hardware. As a Mac user I've had much fewer choices, then as a Dreamcast owner the machine lacked a lot of the big name FPS games that other systems received. It's only now with my 360 that I've really had chance to get into the genre more fully. As such I think I can only mention the ones I've enjoyed the most.

1. Quake 1 (Mac) - Fully 3D, fluid control, atmospheric, fast multiplayer. Lots of mods and total conversions freely available. heart pumping stuff, hence my fave.

2. Call Of Duty 3 (360) - Lacklustre single player game compared to CoD2 but the multiplayer shines through completely. This is probably my most played game and the online multiplayer always manages to entertain despite any flaws. War at Merville and Capture The flag at Poisson are excellent.

3. Elite (Acorn Electron) - I don't know if this counts as a FPS, but I'd include it. I wasn't particularly patient with it but enjoyed shooting the space stations so I could have dogfights with the police ships. I think I was too young to truly appreciate it at the time but the full 3D space you could move in was quite amazing (and confusing at times) back then.

Other inclusions would be Quake 3 and although not FPS by conventional standards something like House Of The Dead 2 (it was 1st person, and you shot stuff). I also really enjoyed the first Unreal game a lot - it had a great atmosphere.

_X_Zero
April 14th, 2008, 08:24
Doom,
enough said!

alexzander
April 14th, 2008, 15:04
DooM ofcorpse

MHentai
April 15th, 2008, 00:03
Duke Nukem 3d and Quake 2

MasterBeef
April 18th, 2008, 07:06
The Halo series for me. Half-Life 2 was great and all, but once you've played through it there was no reason or fun in doing it again. The Halos have that more sandbox feel with amazing AI that makes it fun everytime you play, and co-op was the icing on the cake.

And as everyone knows, Halo 3 online rocks very very hard.

Eric
June 20th, 2009, 01:55
I had only really played 3 fsp games. These games now of course are being killed by far better games or have been ported over to other systems so it doesnt really matter but ill say them anyways.

1st the Dreamcast Quake Arena III. This game was the first well after Golden Eye 007 for N64 which yes is a great game. But i got this game back in 2002 and i heard this game is flawless awesome and had good graphics of course for its time and was pretty good for online fragging. Of course now a days if you play this game online it either has hackers like most games for the Dreamcast or its been ported to a new Quake Arena online site and will also from what i hear be released on Xbox 360.

Halo and which ones all cause there all the same except graphics. So if i am going to choose one then Halo 3. Sad thing about this game though is that in Halo head shots there is none so dont even try.

One reason i like this game though is it kind of reminds me of those good ol lazer tag game days cause no matter how many times you got killed most other players have got killed more then you or about the same as you. In lazer tag that happened just about the same unless there was some asshole who hid in a hiding spot and that happened in Halo aswell.

Doom 3 for PC was a great game aswell though i didnt play it much on the PC this game was bloody amazing and im mean bloody amazing. I installed that sucker in my computer and the graphics were so jawbreaking i couldnt believe this was the new Doom.

Doom back in the days for the SNES revolutionized FPS shooters and was the most popular back in those days. Like then returned again on the PC and Xbox and for PC back then there was nothing that could kill Doom for killer graphics and it returned FPS gaming for pc at the time of release.

If your a fan of the Quake games then i also have to say test out Unreal Tournament. That game is far better then Quake Arena but plays the same. Even if you find one that only plays offline you may like it.