PDA

View Full Version : Sega CD Emulation?

Mikey4212
August 16th, 2005, 21:16
Hi everyone, im rather new to psp emulation. i just got my psp 2 weeks ago, but ive had absolute success with all the emulation so far. one thing i really would like to see is Sega CD emulation. i think PSPGenesis was done really well, and it would be cool if it could play iso's. if anyone knows about possible Sega CD emuation, could u let me know, please? wanna play snatcher on psp :)

mike

ShinShoryu
August 17th, 2005, 01:20
Since they have Neo Geo CD, I dont see why they couldnt have a Sega CD emulator. Night Trap, Sonic CD and Sewer Shark would rule!

Cap'n 1time
August 17th, 2005, 01:27
Since they have Neo Geo CD, I dont see why they couldnt have a Sega CD emulator. Night Trap, Sonic CD and Sewer Shark would rule!

i think its possible. it just hasnt been worked on yet.

ShinShoryu
August 17th, 2005, 01:33
Actually...Shining Force CD, Lunar 1+2, WWF Rage in the Cage, Corpse Killer, Final Fight CD, as well as the Sega CD versions of Mortal Kombat, Ecco 1 and 2, NBA Jam and NHL 94. I forgot how many great games Sega CD had. I'd be willing to throw a few bucks at the Neo Geo guys or the Genesis people if they could create a Sega CD emulator.

Cap'n 1time
August 17th, 2005, 01:52
Actually...Shining Force CD, Lunar 1+2, WWF Rage in the Cage, Corpse Killer, Final Fight CD, as well as the Sega CD versions of Mortal Kombat, Ecco 1 and 2, NBA Jam and NHL 94. I forgot how many great games Sega CD had. I'd be willing to throw a few bucks at the Neo Geo guys or the Genesis people if they could create a Sega CD emulator.

its not really a matter of creating anything.. just porting and optimizing. the neogeo guys dont know anymore about the sega cd than the snes guys... your looking at the situation wrong.

ShinShoryu
August 17th, 2005, 01:56
its not really a matter of creating anything.. just porting and optimizing. the neogeo guys dont know anymore about the sega cd than the snes guys... your looking at the situation wrong.

I'm sure your right about that considering I know d1ck about that process. I'm just assuming they might have some knowledge on how to create it. Doesnt matter to me who creates it, i'm just saying i'd be willing to contribute.

quzar
August 17th, 2005, 06:51
no. what most people don't realize is that the NGCD is only slightly more powerful than the Genesis (and the video processor is less powerful and more simple). The Sega CD requires at least double the power of the genesis to emulate (it has another video chip, more sound hardware, another m68k and timing has to be precise).

Shiaoran
August 17th, 2005, 12:51
hey, there are lots of game sistems...
emulators will come with time, be patient...
coders can't start 10 emulators at same time, it's normal that they prefer to focun in one untill it's perfect in his sight

ShinShoryu
August 17th, 2005, 20:03
hey, there are lots of game sistems...
emulators will come with time, be patient...
coders can't start 10 emulators at same time, it's normal that they prefer to focun in one untill it's perfect in his sight

Believe me, I am very happy with my Neo Geo CD, SNES, Genesis, NES, etc. but it would be cool to have Sega CD, 32x, Jaguar, 3DO and maybe some other somewhat obscure systems. Again, i'm not complaining about a lack of emulators and I would be willing to contribute.

parabolee
August 17th, 2005, 20:35
Sega CD seems to be a very are emulator. I don't recall one for any system so far. I wonder if there is one for XBOX?

I'm sure there is a PC version to port though.

LordVox
August 17th, 2005, 22:05
there are Sega cd emulators for PC, I think that's about it.

I would rather see an Atari 2600, Intellivision, or Colecovision emulator for PSP. Tose systems are older, use simpler video, and very small roms. Also, i think they would be much easier to port over than the Sega CD. The SegaCD emu would require mutiple bioses and files 25-650MB in size. Even with mp3 support for teh audio files, you are still looking at 100mb files that are often no better than 2MB Sega Genesis roms.

Mikey4212
August 17th, 2005, 22:16
there are Sega cd emulators for PC, I think that's about it.

I would rather see an Atari 2600, Intellivision, or Colecovision emulator for PSP. Tose systems are older, use simpler video, and very small roms. Also, i think they would be much easier to port over than the Sega CD. The SegaCD emu would require mutiple bioses and files 25-650MB in size. Even with mp3 support for teh audio files, you are still looking at 100mb files that are often no better than 2MB Sega Genesis roms.

i understand what your saying, but there were some great games that came out for Sega CD that are not on just regular sega, and the games, although big in size, would be beautiful on the PSP screen.not just snatcher, but the lunar saga, Sonic CD, Shining force CD, Vay, and a bunch of other great titles that never came out on Sega. I'd play them even if I can only fit 1 game at a time. and i would contribute if i could to make the emu.

ShinShoryu
August 17th, 2005, 23:03
Well said Mikey

Mikey4212
August 18th, 2005, 02:29
thanks for the support, shin. really appreciate it.

slik da relic
August 18th, 2005, 12:25
im dyin to play two games i own on psp... Heart of the Alien... and Silpheed!!!
since ive seen all these emus and apps, including those rumored ps1 and n64 videos, sega cd can be done. i just think noone has actually got started on it. its not the popular choice as of rite now.

da relic

geise69
August 18th, 2005, 15:41
All I have to say is Android Assault/Bari Arm, Robo Aleste, Popfulmail, Vay, Lunar Silver Star/ Eternal Blue, Silpheed, Heart of the Alien, Final Fight CD, Sonic CD, Earnest Evans, Anette Futatabi, Sol Feace, Keio Flying Squadron, Shining Force CD, Snatcher, Soul Star, Flink, The Terminator, Earthworm Jim SE, Devastator, Road Avenger, Revenge of the Ninja, Panic!/Switch, Dark Wizard, Heroic Legend of Arislan would be great to have on the psp! I don't see it happening anytime soon though sadly. :(

slik da relic
August 18th, 2005, 18:23
wow! for a system that was shunned and ridiculed, it sure has alot of great games. just goes to show u how fickle and corny the mainstream public is. people can be easily brainwashed. sega has always been the guys to stick their necks out and try new things. thats why i love them so! :) :D :rolleyes: :cool: ;) :p

da relic

Valiant
August 18th, 2005, 18:37
Neogeo cd possibly might have the same amount of games as SEGA CD does, but blah...if there is ever an emu for it, I would probably use it for the LUNAR serie...thats probably it lol XD

geise69
August 19th, 2005, 11:51
You know you can branch out and try other games that were on it as well. There were alot of really good games for sega cd..and alot of terrible ones. If you liked lunar on psx or sega cd, you should try Vay, Dark Wizard, or Shining Force CD. Especially Shining Force CD. If you have a PC get Gens and try those games out. They are pretty easy to find.

ShinShoryu
August 19th, 2005, 18:53
Man I loved Shining Force 1 + 2 on Genesis. Always wanted to play it on Sega CD but never got around 2 it. I will soon though.

wolfpack
August 22nd, 2006, 05:49
i wish a segacd emu would come out, i know its possible, it just needs the right team of coders, and lots of time and work. Sonic cd, lunar, and all of those other classics would be fun to play on the psp.

tsurumaru
August 22nd, 2006, 17:42
i wish a segacd emu would come out, i know its possible, it just needs the right team of coders, and lots of time and work. Sonic cd, lunar, and all of those other classics would be fun to play on the psp.

I'm really sorry to disappoint you all (I also have a Sega CD system) but its very unlikely that this will ever happen on a PSP. Most PC emulation teams still working on the system (see Gens32) are struggling to make the roms run on a top end PC. (The Sega CD has 5 different chipsets to emulate). However its obviously a popular system as the work is still continuing. :)

Tinnus
August 22nd, 2006, 19:23
You can now play Heart of the Alien on your PSP. Check the news section.

rehbock
August 22nd, 2006, 20:48
just saw Heart of The Alien R1 (edit: oh forgot -> AWESOME) whats about
Resident Evil 1
it was on sega cd -> my fault it was saturn
anyway nice work :D

NSCXP2005
August 22nd, 2006, 23:29
slik da relic,

Heart of the Alien can be played on the PSP already

quzar
August 23rd, 2006, 00:36
I'm really sorry to disappoint you all (I also have a Sega CD system) but its very unlikely that this will ever happen on a PSP. Most PC emulation teams still working on the system (see Gens32) are struggling to make the roms run on a top end PC. (The Sega CD has 5 different chipsets to emulate). However its obviously a popular system as the work is still continuing. :)

That's not true. It doesn't require anywhere near a top end PC to run sega CD emulation. All the Sega CD added was a second m68k, a simple video overlay chip, and a relatively powerful sound chip. It maybe doubles-ish the required specifications of the Genesis/MD.

tsurumaru
August 23rd, 2006, 16:37
That's not true. It doesn't require anywhere near a top end PC to run sega CD emulation. All the Sega CD added was a second m68k, a simple video overlay chip, and a relatively powerful sound chip. It maybe doubles-ish the required specifications of the Genesis/MD.

Obviously the scene has overtaken what I knew of then, as only 8 months ago people were saying there would never be a decent emulator for PC never mind PSP! :eek: :D

ElStupido
August 26th, 2006, 13:20
I want to play Snatcher so badly :(

*bumps the thread*