PDA

View Full Version : EA: We waited until GTA IV was complete before making $2bn move

wraggster
February 25th, 2008, 15:51
Publisher seeks "friendly" acquisition of Take-Two

Electronic Arts has said that it waited until the development of Grand Theft Auto IV was complete before making a formal proposal to acquire its publisher Take-Two Interactive.

The company also believes the time is right for the proposed acquisition as EA has completed its internal reorganisation and its newest studios – the recently acquired Pandemic and BioWare – are currently settling in.

"We've waited to ensure that our proposal did not disrupt development of GTA IV," said EA. "The game is scheduled to launch in about two months, which means the core development should be essentially complete."

Electronic Arts said that the two companies have been in discussion on-and-off for about a year, with official dialogue to discuss the intention to acquire Take-Two opened in December, followed by a formal proposal on Febraury 6, and second proposal on February 19.

Despite Take-Two's rejection of the USD 2 billion offer, EA maintains its proposal to acquire the rival publisher is "friendly to Take-Two shareholders, developers, partners and customers. We continue to seek a friendly, negotiated transaction," added EA.

EA believes that Take-Two's internal studios - which includes Firaxis, Visual Concepts and Irrational - would be able to maintain their own identities, and that the Rockstar teams would also be comfortable working as part of the Electronic Arts group.

"We have great respect for the Rockstar leadership team and some of our executives have worked with Rockstar leaders while in previous positions with other companies.

"We believe EA's decentralised label organisation will be attractive to Take-Two’s creative talent," added EA.

Although EA said that it was too early to discuss any plans for staff changes or the future of intellectual properties, it did reiterate its respect for the Rockstar portfolio, stating, “We strongly believe that behind all the controversy is a core of great intellectual property and development talent.

"These titles don’t sell millions because they’re controversial; they sell because they’re great games."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=33472

royvedas
February 25th, 2008, 18:32
It was bound to happen. EA wants to destroy everything good in the gaming world.

If someone is to buy Take2, please for the love of God, let i be someone else. And we all know that if EA buys Take2 there will be no more region free games on xbox360 from the publisher formerly known as Take2.

I suggest that everyone boycots EA!

John Vattic
February 26th, 2008, 10:55
Honestly, I don't believe I've ever played an EA game that was worth a crap. They're all too linear and seem to cater to the "impulse" or "non-thinking" gamers.

They should just make an EA system so people that like that crap don't pollute the other systems.

P.S. CAPCOM and Konami pwn Electronic Arts

jamotto
February 26th, 2008, 11:41
Not like it is the end of the world or anything. :rolleyes:

JKKDARK
February 26th, 2008, 13:47
EA want to ruin the gaming industry. Luckily they are not getting what they want now :)

Cerepol
February 26th, 2008, 22:13
>_>

I'm sad now, EA is pissing me off, I want them to go buy a hole. Take all the copies of their games and drop them into that whole next to E.T. then I want them to tell their employees to stop making crap and to step up to the plate and realize their life work so far has been shitty game after shitty game.