PDA

View Full Version : The PSP has a new Rival - the XGP

wraggster
August 16th, 2005, 21:19
Gameparks new console thats goiing to go up against the PSP has now been revealed, here it is:

http://gpx2-news.dcemu.co.uk/xgp_02.jpg

More screenshots Here --> http://gpx2-news.dcemu.co.uk/xgp-screenshots.shtml

chronoswing
August 16th, 2005, 21:43
Eh, little on the tacky/bulky side to me, I like how the screen can spin around though, other than that it just doesn't apeal to me, and what's with the number pad? Is this thing a phone too? Might as well call it NGAGE2 :P. I'll stick to my sexy and sleek psp.

PPP(PROWD PSP OWNER)
August 16th, 2005, 21:44
Du Du Du Duu Du Du Du Di Dum
Does it have a web browser
MP3 SUPPORT
VIDEO PLAYBACK
1.8GB GAMES
Du Du (GUNSHOT)

Gredler
August 16th, 2005, 21:58
This thing actually seems kinda cool. Bulky, yeah, but I think they're designing it with a all in one package type of device. If you take the GPx2 and compare it in size with a psp and a few games then I bet the size comes out around equel. If it supports large memory format that can have the game written to it (I don't know much about game park, but I am assuming that it doesn't run off any carts or anything, just games written to tiny memory sticks.), then you wont have to carry around any cd-wallet, or cartridges, which would be nice.

Also, the way the screen works looks like it allows you to play both DS/GBA SP and PSP style, and close it up to protect the screen with the clamshell design; That is a huge + for me the more I think about it. I like the idea of having a homebrew supportive system that isn't so danty and open to scratches.

And the numpad is intriguing. I'm glad it's not the main button layout combined with the numpad. I think the numpad is a great idea that can be incorported into gameplay (keypads for doors, puzzle games, rpgs, ftm type sequences, even touch-screen type emulation but with a crappy 10-square touch range, but whackamole etc type things would be possible.) Also, if it is a phone, text messaging, and web browsing, would be a lot easier than psp, add to that if it's a phone you don't have wireless hardware to use it online.

I wasn't into gamepark, the gba style button count really put me off of a system designed for emulation, but this one is a different story.. Any news on priceing and hardware specs?

-gredler

Cap'n 1time
August 16th, 2005, 21:59
MP3 SUPPORT
VIDEO PLAYBACK

yes, and it also will have a homebrew scene that will kill the psp's scene.. sorry fanboy.

Mourningstar
August 16th, 2005, 22:06
Du Du Du Duu Du Du Du Di Dum
MP3 SUPPORT
VIDEO PLAYBACK
1.8GB GAMES
Du Du (GUNSHOT)

It probably does a hell of a lot more than that....

How much is this thing? It looks ****ing awesome....

Cap'n 1time
August 16th, 2005, 22:09
It probably does a hell of a lot more than that....

How much is this thing? It looks ****ing awesome....

according to some it is supposed to be cheaper than the already >$150 GP32... well just have to wait and see.

shadowprophet
August 16th, 2005, 23:58
Will it be open source:confused: (stupid question I know) Of corse I assume it will:p

And what are the odds it will have any comercial third party support?

And hell yeah im having one of those:D

medafor
August 17th, 2005, 00:12
if it ran pc games,like san andreas at 9600 ati speeds, if it played mulitple movie formats and audio formats. and of course have support by big game companies.

Fly On
August 17th, 2005, 00:34
Guys, before the almighty PSP came about, there was a nice little device called the (need I really remind you?) GP32...and it KICKED ASS.
The PSP still has yet to equal it in terms of homebrew apps.
If the XGP is the successor to the GP32, than it will be a real contender to the PSP.
Oh yeah, I'm definetly getting in on this! :D

TyBO
August 17th, 2005, 01:19
From what I've heard, this is just a prototype... the real thing might look entirely different.

Could just be a rumor though... I hope not cause it's uuuuuuuuuuugly.

Cap'n 1time
August 17th, 2005, 01:22
From what I've heard, this is just a prototype... the real thing might look entirely different.

Could just be a rumor though... I hope not cause it's uuuuuuuuuuugly.

I agree, but from what I gather. this is a differant device from the gpx2 that you have been seeing pics of for days now. someone else will have to do some research on that subject.

dman32
August 17th, 2005, 01:32
nobody will buy that..and the small amount that will...will not generate enough 3rd party support...it will have about much support or sell through as the ngage does or less

TyBO
August 17th, 2005, 01:34
I agree, but from what I gather. this is a differant device from the gpx2 that you have been seeing pics of for days now. someone else will have to do some research on that subject.
Yeah... it is a different device. Gamepark Holdings is making the GPX2, while Gamepark is making this thing, the XGP.

shadowprophet
August 17th, 2005, 01:34
You guys think it looks ugly:confused: ? I think it looks really kewl :p

Cap'n 1time
August 17th, 2005, 01:39
nobody will buy that..and the small amount that will...will not generate enough 3rd party support...it will have about much support or sell through as the ngage does or less

the gp32 sold very well. i think this one will actually sell much better.

shadowprophet
August 17th, 2005, 01:50
You guys think it looks ugly:confused: ? I think it looks really kewl :p

But then again im always high:rolleyes:
Ask me again in the morning and i'll probibly be too busy trying to chew my own arm off to get away from it :D lol :p

slayer2psp
August 17th, 2005, 02:00
it will only sell to people who love emus and homebrew games just like the gp32 sure would be nice if they sold these in regular game stores not just on the net

Cap'n 1time
August 17th, 2005, 02:46
i think most of us on this site purchase things online anways.. for instance. ALL the european people bought their psps online most likely.

dman32
August 17th, 2005, 02:50
I guess it depends on your definition of very well. If the average person never heard of it...I doubt it sold well enough to matter. I would say I'm maybe a little bit above the normal user...and heck I never heard of it.

Cap'n 1time
August 17th, 2005, 03:00
I guess it depends on your definition of very well. If the average person never heard of it...I doubt it sold well enough to matter. I would say I'm maybe a little bit above the normal user...and heck I never heard of it.

then i would say you are below average in the homebrew scene... GP32 and Dreamcast were kings of the homebrew scene and as far as i am concearned, still are.
and if it hadnt sold very well... well.. how the hell would they be able to create two new consoles? perhapes they saved up their allowance? i dont think so. Its obviouse they made some money off of their last two devices.

DO NOT ARGUE WITH THE 1TIMEUSER.

Valiant
August 17th, 2005, 03:26
wah, I just bought my psp. Man this might be really expensive. Just going to wait and see what it does until I decide to purchase this or not.

parabolee
August 17th, 2005, 04:24
If it's powerfull and has an open OS, meaning lotas of homebrew, I may be interested,. It looks cool in a bat-man gadget kind of way. Looks maybe a little too big, but if it's price range is right. I'll consider it.

dman32
August 17th, 2005, 04:34
did it sell at least 2 million? I dont think so....and i know you may think that homebrew is its on planet but for the average user...they dont know what homebrew is and probably could care less. I could go to work tomorrow ask 20 people and I guarantee nobody ever heard of it.

Hidavi
August 17th, 2005, 04:58
I wouldn't be suprised if it did beat the PSP, but it wouldn't beat it by too much. Remember how much better the GP32 was than the GBA.

dman32
August 17th, 2005, 06:21
ok now that I have looked at the gp32...which I never heard of and most non homebrew emulator people have never heard...all I can say is wow. If this new GPX is like the gp32 but with a better screen and with all the emulator support...I'd get one in a heartbeat. Then I'd just have my psp for the sony games...

shadowprophet
August 17th, 2005, 07:31
Does anybody know if this is gonna be backwards compatible with the older gp32 stuff? If it is, its allready got a real comfortible nitch to fall back on.
Being as I figure it will be completely open source, I suppose it will :D

Yeah, Im so haveing one of those:D

Gredler
August 17th, 2005, 09:28
Defenatly gonna get one of this. >200$ and I will get it the day it's released. This makes me almost not care if, god forbid, sony completely shut down any attempts at homebrew w/out mods. I wouldn't mind having one handheld for uber graphics and one for homebrew.

For those arguing about how popular/well it will sell need to get over it, because of course this thing wont challenge PSP for the market share, but it will defenatly sell to those into homebrew/power users. Any arguement about Gameparks plans for the future can be solved through the companies history. They're not out to dominate markets; they're out to make money, and by making a product for a specific market (the homebrew/power user market) they'll make enough money to warrent the manufacturing of that product. It's a completely different business for Gamepark.

I don't see why they wouldn't make it backward compatable, that would kill their progress as far as software. Look at the difference in performance between 222 and 333 mhz on psp with the same emulator, imagen taking all the emu's from gamepark and add in a bunch of higher specs. This thing has me really pumped..

-Gredler

agoodusername
August 17th, 2005, 09:55
Meh, it’ll sell well enough, but not enough to make Sony worry...
I would buy one if it was like a transformer, and it could turn into a massive robot... which it probably can’t even with with how well designed it looks, but if they add that as a feature I probably wouldn't even consider getting a PSP.

Homebrew is nice, but Giant Robots are like twenty times better..

The PSP would have trouble marketing against a hand-held homebrew/giant robot..

Valiant
August 17th, 2005, 11:41
HOPEFULLY this one wont have to use smartcards to run, maybe they will shift to a memory stick like psp or possibly something better (which I have no idea what...maybe internal harddrive?). I hope this one will be able to emulate PSX too XD...now that would be something...maybe even N64 or Dreamcast hahahah XD. Blah am I just dreaming?

Cap'n 1time
August 17th, 2005, 16:13
This is not meant to compete with the mainstream game conosles. this is purely for us homebrewer and coders enjoyment.

to answere my friend shadowprophet: from what I know its been stated that the GPX2 will not be backwards compat. but remember this is a differant device from the GPX2... so there is no telling what it will be able to do.

I am sure this sold millions, but perhapes not as much as some of the other consoles... keep in mind this system is a homebrewers and opensource coders machine. money is not what drives this thing at all. (allthough im sure the creators made a killing) but the sales of the system relies almost completely upon who codes for their system.

superpepto
August 17th, 2005, 17:47
let's also not forget that the GP32 is a Korean system. The main reason why some may not have heard of it is that it was never sold in stores outside Korea. That being said, it's very possible that the XGP and GPx2 could make quite a killing without even taking into account numbers brought in overseas by people like us.

also a quick question, and sorry for the off-topic, but I'm a new poster...what is the difference between the XGP and the GPx2? I know that one's made by Gamepark Holdings and another by Gamepark, but I don't really understand what the big difference is between the two, and I don't know which will release first, not to mention which of the two will be the "must have" portable.

J@F
August 17th, 2005, 18:32
The psp wouldn't of done well with a swivel screen so you would have to hold it to watch movies or use accessories and you could put it in your pocket without a case. as for how it looks, I hope they don't keep that glossy black look. That's not something you want to mimic from the psp

mooboy
August 17th, 2005, 18:59
The psp wouldn't of done well with a swivel screen so you would have to hold it to watch movies or use accessories and you could put it in your pocket without a case. as for how it looks, I hope they don't keep that glossy black look. That's not something you want to mimic from the psp

I actually like the glossy finish.

yah_mon
August 18th, 2005, 07:00
OH MY GOD ITS BURNING MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jokes! - I kinda like this thing, just a bit too big for me. I like to take my PSP around and having to drag another gadget along is just another hassle. I agree though, might be a cool thing to programmers and old school gamers!

Cap'n 1time
August 18th, 2005, 21:15
heres a comparison sheet i found for the gpx2 vs xgp

http://www.gp32x.com/gpx2xgp.php