PDA

View Full Version : Snes9xGx.wii 0.01b Released - Snes Emulation on the Wii

wraggster
February 25th, 2008, 18:45
via tehskeen (http://www.tehskeen.com/modules.php?name=News&file=showarticle&threadid=6463)

unholyfire has released the first homebrew emulator for the Nintendo Wii. He's ported SNES9X GX v1.43 to run it native Wii mode. Unlike other emulators that run on the Wii under GameCube mode, this emulator runs in pure 100% Nintendo Wii mode.

Changes from Snes9xGx 1.43

- Added Wii DVD detection capability (allows you to browse the DVD to fetch
ROMS)

- Changed "goto menu" function to button combo "L+R+X+Y" (to support SNES/GC
adapters and/or homebrew controllers)

http://digg.com/nintendo/Wii_Homebrew_Explosion
Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

____anders____
February 25th, 2008, 23:28
awesome, i can`t wait to try seiken densetsu 3 (secret of mana 2) on this one!

geise69
February 26th, 2008, 15:12
This is still not 100% Wii mode. It's still in GC mode. Check this thread http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4369
The date of it is March 2007.

feddon
February 28th, 2008, 22:05
So can it search a DVD on an unmodded wii or do unmodded folks juat have to use the SD GC adapter?
Cheers.

geise69
March 3rd, 2008, 16:34
You can use and SD GC adapter and it will work.

DPyro
March 7th, 2008, 02:32
This is old and not really a Wii file.

Shadowblind
March 21st, 2008, 23:41
It doesn't work...I rename it to data.elf after converting it to an ELF file and it just freezes my Wii. What am I doing wrong?

sheridan2000
March 25th, 2008, 17:25
It doesn't work...I rename it to data.elf after converting it to an ELF file and it just freezes my Wii. What am I doing wrong?

How about renaming it to boot. elf??

Shadowblind
March 25th, 2008, 17:35
How about renaming it to boot. elf??

I already figured that (thx anyway)

but new question: Does this thing even have pad support?

souLLy
March 25th, 2008, 18:59
this was coded for the gamecube, all of the pad mapping breaks when you try to run it on a wii. Just hang in there guys and wait for this to be properly released for the wii

Demonic_Cr0w
March 29th, 2008, 01:57
I'm using the FAT32 support version of the Twilight Hack. I successfully inject the rom, but when I try to play it on my wii, the screen turns green and sits like that. Anyone know how to fix this? I'm using the front SD slot.

DPyro
March 29th, 2008, 03:21
#1 Don't inject rom
#2 Can't use front SD, need SDcard adapter

Dr Eggman
March 29th, 2008, 12:05
So is it a dol? or is it a TP Compatible Hack ELF?

I have a SD-Media and i am using the snes9x dol, but if this one has better performance i'll use this one.

Demonic_Cr0w
March 29th, 2008, 16:17
Alright, thanks. I just assumed that you might be able to inject it without the gecko since the Twilght Hack website says "use a usbgecko or inject the rom."

DPyro
March 29th, 2008, 17:08
The second one is the ELF for the twilight hack. Place the roms in /fceu/roms/

Sir_Voe
March 30th, 2008, 20:31
There's a new version that has been posted at tehskeen with front SD support. You can only access one rom at a time, as it needs to be on the root and renamed rom.smc, but still great news for those with no SD adaptor. Can't post a link (stuck on Wii Opera ATM), but it's towards the end of the release topic for SNES9X v1.43.

tehnoir
March 30th, 2008, 20:58
The second one is the ELF for the twilight hack. Place the roms in /fceu/roms/

I think it's supposed to be /snesroms
It wasn't mentioned in a tehskeen thread that the error saying it couldn't find /fceu/roms is an inaccurate error message.

DPyro
March 30th, 2008, 21:20
Heh, sorry. I was getting confused with the nes and snes threads :o

tehnoir
March 30th, 2008, 21:23
Heh, sorry. I was getting confused with the nes and snes threads :o

Haha. No worries. Thanks for giving me the chance to be right about something :)

EDIT:
I was just corrected. The proper path is \snes9x\roms

vicious1988
March 31st, 2008, 00:58
Here's the front loading version. 1st attachment is compiled, second source.

vicious1988
March 31st, 2008, 12:34
Hey, I was up all night working on a frontloading menu for this latest version. Its done and uploaded. Just place your roms in the root directory. Game names should be kept under 50 characters (w/ extension). Just notify me if you have any problems.

tehnoir
March 31st, 2008, 17:47
I just want to be clear...
This version of SNES9X will search the root of the front SD card for ROMs?

thedarkcookie
March 31st, 2008, 18:44
Yes it does load the rom straight from the root folder of the sd card:D

Edit: Can anyone tell me how i save gamesaves onto my gc memory card or on my sd card located in the front of the wii

Unicron2k
March 31st, 2008, 20:35
Very nice indeed, tested it on my PAL Wii, worked (almost)flawless, with full speed :thumbup: . One issue i encountered, is that it goes into grayscale mode when using 60Hz with standard Audio/Video cables, works in 50Hz tough...

A few things you should fix, is when you load ROMs. if you have to many in the root folder, it locks up, and you have to press the power button for four seconds to turn it off. Also, the roms should be in their own folder, maybe "root/snesgx/roms/" and saving/loading to/from front SD-slot should be suported, and saved in for example
"root/snesgx/savestate/%GAMETITLE%/%SAVEDATE&SAVETIME%.%FILEENDING%"

Please note that this is how i would have done it if i could(know enough about programming to tell the function of a simple console program(read:simple) :cool: ).

It's great to see the progress that has been done in such a short ammount of time(since homebrew was possible) and i can't wait to see something really impressing :D

Keep up all the good work folks!!

vicious1988
March 31st, 2008, 20:51
Truth is I just downloaded the source last night and decided to try it. And I figured something would mess up with too many roms. I can have that fixed by later (just gotta add offsets to the menu).

I don't know anything about the grayscale (most likely was already a bug before I touched the source). As for rom folder, my original attempt was to have that but it didn't work since I was making it too complicated (K.I.S.S. :p ).

tehnoir
March 31st, 2008, 21:44
Very nice work, vicious. I'll give this a try in a few.

vicious1988
March 31st, 2008, 21:45
Here's build 2 of frontSD menu. It loads from the root/roms directory of your SDcard and has pages (no more trying to render 999 short filenames at a time). Filenames are still limited to 50 characters (including extension).

I did have it crash one time but I think thats because I had a few files longer than 50 characters and my menu length was too long.

Left and right on d-pad move through pages.

Notify me of any bugs and I will fix them as I work on implementing savegames (What have I gotten myself into :D ).

Sir_Voe
March 31st, 2008, 22:48
Thanks Vicious, your changes are working great here. Good luck on getting saving to function.

ringo20000
April 1st, 2008, 01:13
Vicious great work. I was playing around with the emulator and thought I would share some bugs I found. I had the menu lockup on me a couple times when I tried to start the game and the only way I could get out was to power off the wii. Also I can't get it to load a new game once a rom is loaded. I have to restart the elf to load a new game. Finally I was trying to play star fox and it was running way too fast...After doing some research it looks like this is a problem with the super fx chip games.

I also forgot to mention I am using the sd elf loader as well to load the file. Not sure if this would make a difference.

The longest file name for my roms is 24 including the extension, although I noticed I had exclamation points in SuperPunchOut so I'll take them out and see if that helps.

Another thing I noticed is going to the second page of roms is flakey. Sometimes it shows up and other times I have to do a restart to get it to showup.

Agent D
April 1st, 2008, 01:54
hmm, ive got the emu up and running but when i go to load new game and load from front, nothing happens, i press A and i get the error "f_stat failed, error 1 press A to continue" my roms are in the rom directory on the root of my sdcard, did i miss something?

ringo20000
April 1st, 2008, 02:03
Agent D try making the directory name roms instead of rom. Also it should be in the root.

Agent D
April 1st, 2008, 02:09
thank you very much, such a simple thing, lol

tehnoir
April 1st, 2008, 02:11
Agent D try making the directory name roms instead of rom. Also it should be in the root.

Unfortunately, if you don't have the ROMs in the proper place, the error will flash so quickly on the screen that it just appears that it has done nothing. If you look closely, you'll see a quick blip saying that there was an error and it couldn't find anything in /roms.

daytonajesse
April 1st, 2008, 03:55
First off I would like to say thank you for your hard work. I am VERY happy that I can now play all my old favorites, without having to buy them a second time.

I have a few comments if thats ok for a first post.

Is it just me or does the sound of the games seem different than from an actual console?

I would like to see the analog stick work on the diagonals. I guess mapped to the up/down and left/right d-pad buttons. (Maybe I just missed it and it already does.)

Other stuff has already been said so I wont bother. (sd or gc mc saves)

I do like everything else, ecstatic actually!

THANK YOU!

paco9060
April 1st, 2008, 04:40
Bravo for all the hard work! This made my night!!!

The only problem I have encountered so far is Donkey Kong Country running too fast for some reason.

vicious1988
April 1st, 2008, 06:01
You should be able to do diagonal analog if you set the clip low enough.

thedarkcookie
April 1st, 2008, 13:29
How do i save my game saves.
I'm using a gc 59 block memory card
and is there anyway to save it on the front sd

daytonajesse
April 1st, 2008, 14:28
Thank you Vicious1988,
Worked like a charm.

I noticed somewhere else that someone has a GB Color emu running on wii that runs and saves without a sdgecko or usbgecko. Maybe taking a look at that would help the other emu's along?

paco9060
April 1st, 2008, 15:54
Actually, the front loading GBC emulator for Wii doesn't support saving yet either. :(

When these emus do though I'll be filled with joy!

On a side note, is there some way to limit the frame rate? I need to slow Donkey Kong Country down.

Also the font is so big on the rom selection list I'm barely able to tell which rom I'm selecting (only a few letters are displayed).

Otherwise it's great. I appreciate your hard work, Vicious.

ringo20000
April 1st, 2008, 17:04
Just curious if anyone else has had lockup problems. It seem like every now and then when I click play game it seems to lockup and I have to power off. It's not a bad rom because I can run it again and have it play just fine. Also has anyone been able to load a new rom after already loading one? When I go back to the menu and load a new game nothing happens it just keeps the old one loaded. Finally, does anyone have any clip settings for using the analog controller for street fighter?

Edit: I came across this mod for the gamecube version that mentions changing the emulator speed:
http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4837
it might be worth looking into to get some games working properly.

vicious1988
April 1st, 2008, 20:03
Well, I'm not too sure about a lot of things in this emulator. Its not mine originally, I'm just adding the SD rom menu.

As for front SD saving, its not available yet but should soon. Svpe has submitted some code to the devkitPro team for doing stuff on the front SD.

I also just fixed the rom menu bug where you can only load one. My update is available at http://files.filefront.com/SNESGX+frontsd+v3/;9932205;/fileinfo.html

Use this thread to post about my builds:
http://dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101788

daytonajesse
April 2nd, 2008, 02:46
You can load a new rom if you choose the option to reload the PSO.