PDA

View Full Version : Resistance 2 is Sony's answer to Gears 2

Shrygue
February 25th, 2008, 22:39
via Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=93366)

Sony expects Resistance 2 to go "toe-to-toe against Gears of War 2" in the battle for your money this Christmas, according to US VP of product marketing Scott Steinberg.

I think one of the biggest games for us will be Resistance 2. We expect that, in November, to go toe-to-toe against Gears of War 2," Steinberg told GamesIndustry.biz during GDC.

"It will be our third-generation PS3 product. Insomniac, having shipped Resistance 1, quietly sold a million units. And then Ratchet & Clank last fall. This is the third on their technology shipping in November."

Steinberg also explained Sony's low GDC profile. "It just felt stronger coming from so many different high-calibre partners as opposed to self-congratulatory announcements from ourselves that the war is over and the standards battle is complete, and we have a standard and it is us," he said, referring to the recent HD-DVD discontinuation.

"It just felt like a keynote would be a little bit over the top," he added.

You can read the full Scott Steinberg interview on GamesIndustry.biz (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=33414).

Shadowblind
February 26th, 2008, 02:49
The only PS3 game I can think that could possibly be called a "competitor" to gears of War 2 is MGS4. If R:FoM 2 is like the first, it stands no chance. Poor, rushed choice for a competitor.

DPyro
February 26th, 2008, 03:04
I'm pretty sure this second game won't be rushed, and since they've now made 2 games for the PS3 they should know how to optimize games for it.

F9zDark
February 26th, 2008, 03:25
The only PS3 game I can think that could possibly be called a "competitor" to gears of War 2 is MGS4. If R:FoM 2 is like the first, it stands no chance. Poor, rushed choice for a competitor.

I personally liked Resistance; although I couldn't play it through a second time.

JKKDARK
February 26th, 2008, 03:52
mm this game is not good enough against Gears of War 2.

Napalm-Death
February 26th, 2008, 04:21
mm this game is not good enough against Gears of War 2.

Yeah, like we'd actually believe you.

Shadowblind
February 26th, 2008, 12:41
I personally liked Resistance; although I couldn't play it through a second time.

I tried to like it. I don't know what it was, but it felt really generic and rushed. Resi 2 will hopefully be better. 32 player multiplayer is pretty awesome though....

mcdougall57
February 26th, 2008, 15:27
oh come on, i love gears of war because it feels so cinematic, could resistance deliver the same feeling? i think not. EPIC nailed the genre with this one.

One PS3 exclusive game i am truly jealous of is MGS:4.

i hate you kojima, you released MGS:2 for the xbox, why not release MGS:4 now? ive always been loyal

Triv1um
February 26th, 2008, 15:59
oh come on, i love gears of war because it feels so cinematic, could resistance deliver the same feeling? i think not. EPIC nailed the genre with this one.

One PS3 exclusive game i am truly jealous of is MGS:4.

i hate you kojima, you released MGS:2 for the xbox, why not release MGS:4 now? ive always been loyal

MGS:4 will be a timed exclusive im guessing.

Just like the others they will be out on PS first.

Also, the PS3 is more powerful than the 360, so maybe the 360 cant handle it aswell as the PS3 can. So they dont want to release.

Or maybe the dont want it multidisc. No-one knows, but if you want MGS, your gonna have to get a PS3.

acn010
February 26th, 2008, 16:42
mgs4 is teh bombbb...
resistance.... if the make it more cinematic and more AI realistic then yes i would buy it :)
i like GOW, i havent played it for a while

ICE
February 26th, 2008, 17:09
For this to be true Resistance will need to improve quite a lot very rapidly and Gears will have to idle for a bit. Its not out of the question that Resistance could be on the same level as Gears for a round 2 but to say that it will compete with it in terms of sales seems a bit optimistic. Gears was huge last time and will most likely sell fantastically even if its not as good as the previous much like Halo 3.

acn010
February 26th, 2008, 17:14
you gotta love the commercial for gears of war lol...

F9zDark
February 26th, 2008, 19:32
I tried to like it. I don't know what it was, but it felt really generic and rushed. Resi 2 will hopefully be better. 32 player multiplayer is pretty awesome though....

I thought the graphics were a little "dated looking" but then again it was a launch title.

And I think Resistance 2 will have 64 players online :)