PDA

View Full Version : Dead Rising Taken to Court

Shrygue
February 26th, 2008, 19:25
via IGN (http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/854/854942p1.html)

MKR Group, holder of the rights to George A. Romero's horror classic Dawn of the Dead, has filed a lawsuit against Capcom over similarities between the 1979 film and the Japanese publisher's 2006 Xbox 360 game Dead Rising.

Capcom had preemptively filed a case against MKR earlier this month, which sought to declare that its game did not impede the intellectual property rights of MKR. This action has not dissuaded MKR from pursuing action against Capcom, who yesterday filed a complaint to the US District Court in New York highlighting the similarities between the film and the game, stating that, "Both works are dark comedies. Both works provided thoughtful social commentary on the 'mall culture' zeitgeist, in addition to serving up a sizable portion of sensationalistic violence."

In the unlikely event that the case is successful, it could set a worrying precedent for the videogame industry. Although the similarities between Dead Rising and Dawn of the Dead are pronounced, the game was an affectionate homage to the iconic film rather than a retread of the original. Capcom is currently unable to comment on the filing.

If Capcom is found guilty of impeding MKR's intellectual rights, what other games could find themselves in the dock over leaning on their cinematic influences a little too heavily? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

JKKDARK
February 26th, 2008, 19:35
It reminds me..

George Romero was working with Capcom before Resident Evil video game got released but Capcom rejected George Romero work.

mcdougall57
February 26th, 2008, 19:58
dead rising=ace

dawn of the dead=s**t

no need to be jealous george

Hiei311
February 26th, 2008, 20:13
dead rising=ace

dawn of the dead=s**t

no need to be jealous george

witch dawn?? the remake was shit the older one 79" was great

capcom is gonna win, wow there in a mall filled with zombies, they r both diff stories

George Romero was working with Capcom before Resident Evil video game got released but Capcom rejected George Romero work.

you hav that mixed up, romero did work with capcom but he wrote the script to the resident evil movie, but they shot it down cuz they disliked it, i infact read the script it was better then paul andersons bullshit
but romero didnt hav anything to do with the game resident evil, it was the movie, romero also made a resident evil 2 video game trailer only for japan

mcdougall57
February 27th, 2008, 00:10
i was reffering to the remake, i havent seen the old one yet so i cant really say much about that

10shu
February 28th, 2008, 23:41
gta vice city = scareface ?
bioshock = city of lost children?
uncharted = indiana jones?
mass effect = starwar trilogy?

lawsuit ?