PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation 3 Metal Gear Bundle Is PS2 Backward Compatible

wraggster
February 27th, 2008, 00:45
For those of you wondering (and not already discussing the news in the Kotaku comments section!), yes the PlayStation 3 included in the Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle announced earlier today will play select PlayStation 2 games via hardware and software emulation. SCEA PR manager Al De Leon confirmed that the hardware is similar to what was included in the 80GB Motorstorm bundle and will feature partial backward compatibility. While the original Metal Gear Solid for PlayStation should play without a hitch and Metal Gear Solid 2 is listed as having "no major problems", you may experience a hiccup or two playing the third MGS game.

According to the official PlayStation 3 backwards compatibility database, Metal Gear Solid 3 has the following issues: "At various points throughout gameplay, the title performs at a significantly slower than normal performance speed" and "During various FMA sequences throughout the title, the FMA does not play as 'smooth' as normal." Not bad. Not bad at all.

http://kotaku.com/361081/playstation-3-metal-gear-bundle-is-ps2-backward-compatible

ngin.small
February 27th, 2008, 03:55
This is great news for anyone who buying a PS3 :)

mcdougall57
February 27th, 2008, 13:24
looks like theyve put it in because now hd-dvd is gone they are confident this will sell

Accordion
February 27th, 2008, 13:42
Perfect.

MGS fans can play the entire series.

F9zDark
February 27th, 2008, 14:47
I had a feeling Sony would bank on MGS 4 like that. Good, because if they didn't I'd call the folks at Sony extremely stupid.

However, I don't see why they don't sell remanufactured 60gb units with MGS 4, even if they sell them at a loss, many people are going out of their way to buy 60 or 80gb models because they want the BC.

At least thats what I see at the official PS boards, almost daily; posts on where or how to get 60 or 80gb models...

DPyro
February 27th, 2008, 16:10
It's because they use the referb 60GB consoles for replacement.