PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in Nottingham & ALL Of UK

wraggster
February 27th, 2008, 01:07
Hi just to let you know at 12:55am on the 27th Feb2008 we just had an earthquake in sherwood, Nottingham, England lasted for around 30 seconds and shook our house, went outside to check and 4 of my neighbours reported the same. Not a nice feeling :P

Just to let you know

Damn im still shaking :P

Wasnt a big earthquake but damn scary nonetheless.

http://digg.com/world_news/Earthquake_in_Nottingham_UK

Seems its UK WIDE, Any UKers here who experianced please post about it

From the Nottingham Evening Post

BREAKING NEWS: EARTHQUAKE HITS NOTTS

Notts was hit by an earthquake that shook the East Midlands this morning.

Two minor earth tremors were felt across the city and over a wide area which also included Derbyshire and Leicestershire at 12.57am.

Notts Fire and Rescue Service said it had received a large number of calls from members of the public and had been called out to deal with an unsafe chimney at a building in Retford.

The quake rattled buildings and set fire alarms off across the city and further afield.

The US Geological Survey's website reported a quake of the magnitude of 4.7 and said the epicentre was 45 miles north east of Nottingham, 30 miles south of Kingston-upon-Hull.

The British Geological Survey said the tremors had been felt across the region.

Ken Renwick, a security guard working at the Keyworth office, said he had been fielding calls from Nottingham, Lincoln, Coalville and Leicester.

Mr Renwick, from Cotgrave, added: "I felt it here. My laptop and paper work went all over the place.

"That's the biggest one I've ever felt. The phone hasn't stopped ringing."

DPB
February 27th, 2008, 02:07
Hi Wraggster. I live near Sherwood at the top of Winchester Street. Scared the holy c**p out of me!

BREAKING NEWS: EARTHQUAKE HITS NOTTINGHAM

Nottingham was hit by an earthquake that shook the East Midlands this morning.

Two minor earth tremors were felt across the city and over a wide area which also included Derbyshire and Leicestershire at 12.56am.

Notts Fire and Rescue Service said it had received a large number of calls from members of the public and had been called out to deal with an unsafe chimney at a building in Retford.

The quake rattled buildings and set fire alarms off across the city and further afield.

The US Geological Survey's website reported a quake of the magnitude of 4.7 and said the epicentre was 45 miles north east of Nottingham, 30 miles south of Kingston-upon-Hull.

Haydn Jones, of Nottingham, told the American broadcaster CNN: "It felt pretty scary."

Mr Jones, who lives in a third-floor flat, said he had lived abroad in Japan and knew immediately what it was, but felt that a lot of people "didn't really know what was going on."

He told CNN it was "like someone very big and angry jumping on the ceiling below you, rather than the floor."

The British Geological Survey said the tremors had been felt across the region and pinpointed the epicentre to Market Rasen in Lincolnshire. Its initial magnitude reading was 5.3.

Ken Renwick, a security guard working at the Keyworth office, said he had been fielding calls from Nottingham, Lincoln, Coalville and Leicester.

Mr Renwick, from Cotgrave, added: "I felt it here. My laptop and paper work went all over the place.

"That's the biggest one I've ever felt. The phone hasn't stopped ringing."

Link HERE (http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=195917&command=displayContent&sourceNode=134241&contentPK=19996158&folderPk=78486&pNodeId=133951)

EARTHQUAKE HITS MUCH OF ENGLAND

The biggest earthquake in the UK for nearly 25 years has shaken homes across large parts of England.
People in Newcastle, Yorkshire, London, Manchester, the Midlands and Norfolk felt the tremor at about 0100 GMT.

An elderly man suffered leg injuries when a chimney collapsed in Wombwell in South Yorkshire, emergency crews said.

The British Geological Survey (BGS) said the earthquake was of the magnitude of 5.3 and the epicentre was near Market Rasen in Lincolnshire.

Bev Finnegan, who lives in Market Rasen, said: "I was terrified to be honest. The noise was really, really terrifying... it was so deep and rumbling.

It felt like the roof was going to fall in. There were people coming out in their dressing gowns wondering what it was. It was quite an experience."

Dr Brian Baptie of the BGS said the quake was of a level to cause minor damage to buildings.

"An earthquake of this size, of magnitude five or thereabouts, will occur roughly every ten to 20 years in the UK," he said.

Wednesday morning's earthquake, which lasted about 10 seconds, was the biggest recorded example since one with a magnitude of 5.4 struck north Wales in 1984.

'Like a jelly mould'

Dr Baptie said: "The largest earthquake that we know about that has struck the UK was about 100km off the east coast of England on the Dogger Bank and it had a magnitude of 6.1.

"So we can get these kind of moderate to significant earthquakes of this size but they're relatively rare."

The West Midlands was hit by an earthquake in 2002 in the Dudley area that reached a magnitude of 5.0 and one measuring 4.3 hit Folkstone in Kent last year.

People from across England contacted the BBC to described how their homes shook during the tremor.

Jemma Harrison, 22, in Bury, Greater Manchester, said: "It was really bad. I was fast asleep and woke up and the room was shaking and there was a loud bang and alarms were going off."

Natasha Cavey, in Tipton in the West Midlands, said: "All my cupboard doors flew open and the whole house shook, it was unreal. I can't believe it."

David in Alrewas in Staffordshire said: "The birds were flying around like it was daylight.

"It was quite severe. I experienced the Dudley one and this was more severe.

"I went outside to see if the roof had collapsed. I could see the furniture in the room moving, it was like it was on a jelly mould.

David Somerset, 41, from Driffield near Beverley in East Yorkshire, said: "I have never felt one as strong as that one before. I was in my sitting room and the grandfather clock was rattling rather violently.

"It was very strong, I felt the whole room moving."

Link HERE (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7266136.stm)

Elven6
February 27th, 2008, 02:41
Oh crap, are you guys alright?

No_one_in_particular
February 27th, 2008, 03:18
Yeh it's just a 5.1 apparently, so there shouldn't be that much damage. I felt it here in Middlesbrough.

Wally
February 27th, 2008, 04:16
I wonder what it feels like to jump in an earth quake.

Nobody ever thinks about jumping!

bfsilas
February 27th, 2008, 05:23
Just registered found this link on google, i found my legs were spasming, never really felt an earthquake ever (17 years of age) but then i relised it was an was an earthquake, next thing i know my coca cola fell all over the floor, the house shook, i actually shouted on my VOiP server "That's awesome, did you get that tom" (tom is a friend who lives a mile or 2 away) he said yeah, we was talking about it for a few mins and then we stoped, thought i'd post my experance...

over all it wasn't scary but really a ":O" experiance

souLLy
February 27th, 2008, 10:39
I felt it myself, I thought a big lorry had driven past my flat or something and was making my floor shake. Very mild really but the first time I've ever felt anything like that!

Accordion
February 27th, 2008, 12:09
It was quite pleasant.

Malksta
February 27th, 2008, 12:30
I wasn't really expecting an earthquake while in bed using my laptop, made me think that my building collapsed or something :/

mcdougall57
February 27th, 2008, 13:18
was only a 5.3, i live in huddersfield not too far from the epicenter it built up gradually then just went, i was more worried about the xbox than myself to be honest haha not the first time ive felt an earthquake. about 30 myspace bulletins appeared with "did anybody else feel that?" as the heading.

AdamRav
February 27th, 2008, 14:23
Yea, i felt it aswell, i thought the attic roof was gonna collapse on top of me lol

wraggster
February 27th, 2008, 16:27
yeah it sure was a weird feeling, the last time we had an earthquake i thought the wanker neighbours next door were ****ing around, i went out the door to VISIT them and then noticed the whole street out wondering the same

cal360
February 27th, 2008, 16:29
It apparently was felt here in Telford by what everyone here says but I just slept right through it (just like the last one).

Hawq
February 27th, 2008, 18:15
Mr Renwick, from Cotgrave, added: "That's the biggest one I've ever felt." Oo-er missus, though on a more serious note I felt it as well, just like the last one (forget how far back that was) my chair shook a little & a plant swayed, nothing spectacular really. Though this time I knew what it was having experienced it before, first one felt like a poltergeist was shaking my chair or something, most strange.

goity
February 27th, 2008, 19:39
I'm in Derbyshire, and I slept right through it. I know people who felt it though.

Shrygue
February 27th, 2008, 19:41
My folks have been telling me there was an earthquake this morning but I didn't believe them...until I read the BBC news as didn't feel a thing at all.

Sonicboy 101
February 27th, 2008, 19:43
I felt it, woke me up. Damn earthquake.
Didn't even last for long... about 2 seconds?