PDA

View Full Version : More details on Xbox 360 failures

Shrygue
February 27th, 2008, 19:15
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=33565)

Following a statement earlier in the month from SquareTrade, an electronics warranty company, that claimed 16.4 per cent of Xbox 360s in its sample group of 1040 machines failed, the company has now released more information on the study.

The report, which tracked a test group of consoles for warranties purchased between April 1 and July 31 last year, details the 171 claims made and notes that only one of the 27 Elite SKUs and eight of the 57 Core SKUs were claimed on.

The rest of the failures were down to the 956 Premium models examined, and showed that 102 of all claims were due to general hardware failures resulting in the 'Red Ring of Death', representing around 60 per cent of all failures, and just under 10 per cent of all warranties.

Other failures included disc read errors, video card failures, hard drive freezes, power issues and disc tray malfunctions.

However, SquareTrade did note that the sample group used was unlikely to have included any of the consoles sold more recently that were intended to counter many of the failures of the original models.

Microsoft told GamesIndustry.biz in response to the initial report two weeks ago that: "The majority of Xbox 360 owners have had a great experience with their consoles.

"We do not disclose internal hardware repair data and we do not comment on speculation."

Microsoft has committed an estimated USD 1 billion to extending consumer warranties and fixing any Red Ring of Death issues that occur.

Baboon
March 1st, 2008, 11:34
Well got my xbox back last december after it had died from the 3red rings and they extended my warranty for 90 days. Now just over a week after that warranty has ran out my xbox has died again. :(

This time round it hasn't got the 3 red rings but the machine no longer boots up (just a green light and nothing else). I've been on the phone to MS and they said that there's nothing they can do and that I've now got to pay £70 to have have it repaired. I've tried reasoning with them by saying that how unfair it is but they won't budge on the matter.

How do I know that after it came back refurbed from dying before that they didn't fix it conveinetly to break again a week after the waranty expired just to make some money from me? ...that might sound paranoid but after all the previous games consoles I've owned I've never had a machine crap out on me like this one has?

They said that for my £70 fee it would either come back refurbed again or possibly they might send out a new one once they've assessed the problem(s). They also said they would chuck in either a free game or an accessory - but what use is any of that going to be if my console is just going to die again? :mad:

My dilemma is do I just go out and purchase a brand new core system 360 (I've already got a hd and all the accessories) as there going for about £120 and this will be completely new with the latest mother board and dvd drive ( plus a new warranty) etc... or do I pay £70 to get a refurbed unit again??

I've read on these forums (and many others) the poor failure rates of the 360 and that it was happening numerous times to people... but I never once thought that it would happen to me. :confused:

I found ringing there helpline was a struggle to as I could hardly understand in English what there operators were saying?

I love my 360 but this is just another case of MS leaving a foul taste in the mouth from the whole experience.

Thanks for everything MS...Maybe I should have opted for a console from a rival company (and hopefully got much better customer service).

Bah humbug and all that. :(

beetroot bertie
March 1st, 2008, 14:06
Man that sucks. I'd be tempted to get the new one even though it is more - at least you'll get a year warranty and 3 yr coverage for RROD.

If you could get your current one to Red Ring...

If you're feeling indignant then maybe give another company your money and get a competitor's machine. If enough people did that then maybe MS might get the message. A friend of mine is on his 3rd now but luckily they were all covered by the RROD.

I seriously hope MS learn from this and make their next machine ultra reliable.

Baboon
March 13th, 2008, 13:25
Just a quick update on my previous post in this thread...

I rang them on Monday to see if they had a UPS tracking number and the customer service person said it wouldn't be ready for two weeks and to ring back then. I thought it seemed quite a long time so I rang them up again yesterday and this time they gave me a UPS number but said it wouldn't be ready to send out for at least a week.

While on the phone I also had another moan that I wasn't happy to be paying and the customer support guy (this time an excellent English speaker) said that my current warranty does not expire for at least another year and that I shouldn't have paid anything?! He gave me an email address and a reference number and said to contact them and request a full refund!

Well today I rang UPS up (even though MS said it wouldn't be ready for around another week) and asked when my machine would be delivered. It was a good job I rang as they said they were delivering it today! ...now 3 hours after that call my 360 has been delivered! lol

I really don't think they have a fookin clue what they are doing as MS! lol

I'm still waiting for a reply for my full refund but at least I've got my box back after only just over a week. ...fingers crossed they do give me a refund and don't go back on what I was just informed!