PDA

View Full Version : I have a suggestion

JKKDARK
February 28th, 2008, 18:08
A "Saturn Gaming, Emulation and Homebrew Forum" section under the "Dreamcast and Sega Saturn Consoles Discussion Forums".

Soully, I want to hear your positive opinion :)

also a Junk forum would be a revolution

SnesR0X
February 28th, 2008, 19:41
Is there the proper demand? (More than yourself) :p

ExcruciationX
February 28th, 2008, 19:44
You've suggested this before, haven't you?

Also, they're not bringing the JUNK forum back.

JKKDARK
February 28th, 2008, 20:27

I don't remember the usernames, but I remember various members wondering about why there wasn't a Saturn discussion section for their homebrew/software/hardware Saturn issues.

acn010
February 28th, 2008, 20:28
was there any saturn hacks and homebrew???

JKKDARK
February 28th, 2008, 20:35
was there any saturn hacks and homebrew???

what a question.. :rolleyes:

http://sega-saturn.dcemu.co.uk/

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=113

acn010
February 28th, 2008, 21:49
huh... sorry for my retardence, glam girl

souLLy
February 28th, 2008, 22:37
A "Saturn Gaming, Emulation and Homebrew Forum" section under the "Dreamcast and Sega Saturn Consoles Discussion Forums".

Soully, I want to hear your positive opinion :)

also a Junk forum would be a revolution

Adding more and more forums in my opinion isn't the way forward, in the end you have 200 different forums which for a new user is totally intimidating... and is anything happening in the Saturn dev scene at all anyway?

JKKDARK
February 28th, 2008, 23:12
Adding more and more forums in my opinion isn't the way forward, in the end you have 200 different forums which for a new user is totally intimidating... and is anything happening in the Saturn dev scene at all anyway?

Slow, but at least the Saturn scene is more active than the Nintendo 64 scene.

We have a Nintendo 64 news forum and a Nintendo 64 discussion forum, why there's not a Saturn discussion forum if we have a Saturn news forum?

Also don't forget that Saturn has many exclusive titles so there would be a gaming discussion there. And there are certain games which can be played online with the DirectLink device.

Triv1um
February 28th, 2008, 23:34
Slow, but at least the Saturn scene is more active than the Nintendo 64 scene.

We have a Nintendo 64 news forum and a Nintendo 64 discussion forum, why there's not a Saturn discussion forum if we have a Saturn news forum?

I totally agree with that, at least the Saturn can actually play homebrew.

Seriously, N64?

bah
February 29th, 2008, 03:52
souLLy: What the forums need (largely due to the way the forums are used for news posts leading to there being no single forum exclusively for homebrew release threads for each platform. They're mixed up in a news thread.), is more useful linking in release posts.

When a new version of say PSP Quake by Juraj Styk comes out, the front page link to the app is redirected to the new release post and the previous release gets lost to most users (you can find them with the google search on the front page but i swear most users wouldn't be bothered looking).
So often questions get asked over and over but because a new version has come out, the newbs don't see the existing answers.

Using PSP Quake as an example: currently the front page link points to this modification of version 1.1 to include ad-hoc (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90453), which only includes the HW_UM version of Juraj Styk's release and is described by the author as a 'little update' to his work.
It's great that kgsws˜™ has made these modifications and released them for others, but the major release of PSP Quake 1.1 (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85515) isnt linked to. Personally I think the front page link should go to the major release by the main author of the app, but irregardless of that it would still be far better than it is now if there was at least a clear link back to it.

A great solution would be to have:
Easy way: Just a link back to the previous release added in a consistent place to all releases.

More difficult but better way: Some kind of box in the corner of release posts that links back to several directly related posts. It could be manually done by either mods or some sort of wiki type thing that all users can contribute to (only allowing local links of course).
Automating it would lead to the spam bot's posts being picked up if they had related terms and that doesn't help anyone.

Another great improvement would be when there are multiple ports of an app or multiple emulators for a system, that the most advanced/most downloaded is somehow highlighted to help newbs find the best app easily.

That's my off topic 2c.

pibs
February 29th, 2008, 08:14
Another great improvement would be when there are multiple ports of an app or multiple emulators for a system, that the most advanced/most downloaded is somehow highlighted to help newbs find the best app easily.

You mean like the thread title highlighted/marked when searched for under the search function?
That sounds like a pretty good idea.

bah
February 29th, 2008, 08:33
I was thinking for the list of emulators on the front page, but that sounds good too. :)

the_eternal_dark
March 1st, 2008, 13:07

Me!

Triv1um
March 1st, 2008, 13:10
and me.

Im into the Saturn stuff.

Either way, more demand than the god damn N64.