PDA

View Full Version : Whats been the best release for the PSP Scene ?

wraggster
August 18th, 2005, 02:55
As most of you know the PSP Homebrew scene has only been going a few months and in that time we have seen some awesome achievements in all areas of the scene with a console that kicks ass in a lot of areas.

So to answer my question above what is the best release for the PSP Scene?

Well thats a rather easy one, the best release was from Nem and it was the Hello World demo because it was then everyone sat up and we knew there was a system we could run homebrew on.

Opinions, Comments ?

YourStillWithMe
August 18th, 2005, 02:58
I would have to say that the biggest and coolest release was the NES Emulator NESTERJ! I do have a Nintendo (one of the rare ones that inserts the cartridge like a SNES. . .) but I still love the fact that I basically have a NES in my hands! Playing Mario Bros 3 and Zelda in my hands is amazing. Also I highly enjoy the release of SnesX or whatever it is. . . .

A program that I think would be great if it was improved upon would be the Calculator. If it got the decimal point and possibly pie in there as well I wouldn't mind using that baby for school!

RabidPuppi
August 18th, 2005, 03:01
i'd say the button matching game was a real turning point for me... but then again the battery checker pretty much rawked my world and blew my mind. i guess its a tie!

shadowprophet
August 18th, 2005, 03:27
Bochs. I mean most people probibly wouldnt agree with me.
its slow and has its problems,
But im playing the orig warcraft ppl!! The ORIG WARCRAFT!!!!!
Come on a homebrew app that allows such power and flexibility!
My Gawd!! Oh yeah and dont forget windows 95.
I realize its not spiffy enough to please most people yet, but im hopeing as time goes by somone will take a hint and emulate a pentum based processor,
Even if its just a p75:D

By the way to anyone that might know, Lets say that somone did finely somhow emulate a pentuim processor, Even if it was a p75, the question remains, Will the memstick be to slow to really allow us to get anything out of it?

FrozenIpaq
August 18th, 2005, 03:34
Squarez: Code was made from scrath ;) I don't consider emulators great because they are usually ports of emulators that already exist.

pakkman781
August 18th, 2005, 04:40
Doom, for it's awesome awesomeness.

I want to see Aleph One (http://www.source.bungie.org/) ported! That would then be the best IMO.

Zephyroth_drgs
August 18th, 2005, 04:48
is there any web browser homebrew aplication?

indstr
August 18th, 2005, 04:49
I realize its not spiffy enough to please most people yet, but im hopeing as time goes by somone will take a hint and emulate a pentum based processor,

By the way to anyone that might know, Lets say that somone did finely somhow emulate a pentuim processor, Even if it was a p75, the question remains, Will the memstick be to slow to really allow us to get anything out of it?

serious question: how fast is your warcraft 1 running? how many fps? is it even playable?

alepus
August 18th, 2005, 04:49

keep on hoping.. the chance of emulating a pentium based cpu is slim or None.
and if someone did emulate a p75 it would run at about < 0.1fps.

the best we can hope for is a 286/386/486.. and my guess is that the 286 could be running OK..

bochs is still my choice though.

faceless
August 18th, 2005, 05:25
emulation? NesterJ
app? Jpeg View

RedKing14CA
August 18th, 2005, 05:44
i'd say bochs, even if i havent even downloaded it yet... i mean, starcraft on psp!?!?? W00t! sadly im still awaiting a windows 95 disk to fall from heaven.... then i will download it and play starcraft (legally?) on my psp.... i own the disk....

shadowprophet
August 18th, 2005, 05:46
It runs at roughly 6 to 8 fps . I can only run it from dos tho. not shelled from windows,
And the same mouse problems still presist:o
But still its nice tho :)

slayer2psp
August 18th, 2005, 06:27
neo geo cd emu full speed great sound by far the best emu

geise69
August 18th, 2005, 11:36
People are probably going to think I'm crazy, but mine is a tie between the HUE emulator and the Neko Project II PC98 emulator. The Turbo Duo was and still is my favorite system. The NEC PC98 is a great under rated old school PC. A close second is the SNES9x TYL emu.

Argon0
August 18th, 2005, 12:41
Quake, or it will be in a couple of iterations...

Close seconds are: NGCD emu, and PCE emu (I can finally complete R-Type on the go...).. Whoops forgot - Bochs sounds awesome too...

jambox
August 18th, 2005, 14:02
Scumm, Snes9x TYL and RIN are my favorites so far. The Amiga emulator is pretty nice too.

parabolee
August 18th, 2005, 14:30
Ok I'm going to do a top ten because some of them just need to be mentioned -

1. SCUMM (sorry but I love those classic adventure games)
2. SNES TYL (Snes ruled)
3. PSP Genesis (Sega Rule)
4. NeoGeoCD (Not a huge fan but the emulator is amazing)
5. Doom (Classic)
6. JPG Viewer (Better than the built in one and plays MP3s too!)
7. Bochs (This will jump much higher when improved)
8. PSP UAE (This would be number 1 if it ran close to full speed)
9. Rin (Great EMU)
10. PSPBrew (making my own Icons is cool :) )

Nester J deserves a mention but I'm not a NES fan, Super Mario 3 is better on SNES so why bother?

nexis2600
August 18th, 2005, 15:21
NGPSP because it's the best emulator ever and it got ****** (suprise) working on it again. WOOOOTTTTTTt......

J/k

Actualy I feel partial to two projects. Nems founding work was a big inspiration to get people into the scene and developing. It's done alot to get the sceen going.

Yet I feel what really gets the award is RIN & its team of coders. The reason being is RIN pushed the PSP scene hard. They figured out most of the commonly used api functions we use today as well as faster methods to handle emulation. The team really has done a bang up job and givin more twards the scene then any other emulator has.

Thats just my 2 cents on the matter.

Valiant
August 18th, 2005, 17:00
PSPSONE...
Though there really hasnt been ANY news on it whatsover for sometime now, I find this emu (though incredibly slow at the moment) to be one of the most exciting emus that was released. Such that it exhibits that even the PSX CAN possibly be emulated on a handheld, now THAT is breakthrough.

SmashinGit
August 18th, 2005, 19:02
Bruce Lee, aint been able to put it down! Love the music and the sound effects.

parabolee
August 18th, 2005, 19:39
LOL @ Bruce Lee!!!

Man I loved that game on the spectrum like 10+ years ago.

I got so good at it I managed to finish it about 10 times through and eventually got bored since I had amounted so many lives that i could have probably gone forever.

I havn't put it on my PSP yet, but I may do at some point.

shadowprophet
August 18th, 2005, 22:21
Even if there was never another psp homebrew program made,Im pretty happy with the way things are, I got my nes. snes. genesis,Tg16 ,Gb, movies,music, all the reading I could ever want to do,A zillion pics, Hell the thing even works as my ps2 dvd remote. Even windows 95, is all up on my psp:p And all on one memstick at that.

Gawd I love the psp.
If the psp homebrew scene dried up and died this very day, I could still be happy with what I already have.

I do hope somtime in the future there is some sort of firmware fix to allow all psps to play homebrew. As happy as I am now. Im not stupid, I know my psp wont last forever:p

So heres to the future, *light it up and pass it to the left ;)

Meshyf
August 19th, 2005, 06:47
Squarez is the best by far. This game is awesome. Its so simple but the game just keeps me coming back. Hell it peeled me away from WoW for a couple hours just about everyday now. I wish Sony would get on the ball and release games of that calibur more often.

parabolee
August 19th, 2005, 14:41
Squarez is the best by far. This game is awesome. Its so simple but the game just keeps me coming back. Hell it peeled me away from WoW for a couple hours just about everyday now. I wish Sony would get on the ball and release games of that calibur more often.

Really?! I never checked that out either. Think I'll download that later.