PDA

View Full Version : NME says format war still on

wraggster
March 1st, 2008, 00:07
Just when the members of the Blu-ray Disc Association were settling down to enjoy the fruits of victory, another challenger has entered the ring -- oh wait, it's just NME, makers of VMD, so it's really more like "remained in the ring and basically ignored." The company just issued a press release saying "All indications are that VMD can fill the void left by HD DVD," and that "The way is now clear for VMD to be embraced by the industry." We suppose that's true -- the Asian bootlegging industry really hasn't weighed in with a format choice yet, has it? In any event, VMD players have apparently been shipping to the US for a month now, so all you HD DVD fans out there looking to back yet another losing horse can probably find one -- start at the shadiest retailer you can think of, and then move downwards.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/29/nme-says-the-format-war-is-still-on-it-totally-made-out-with-a/

lmtlmt
March 1st, 2008, 03:17
hahaha OMG that is hilarious

DPyro
March 1st, 2008, 03:33
From Wikipedia:

Disc format

The format uses approximately 5 GB per layer, similar to standard DVDs. The larger formats come from adding more layers. Whereas DVDs hold up to 2 layers per side, standard VMDs can use 4 layers, for 20 GB of storage. There are also reports of 8- and 10-layered versions which can hold 40 and 50 GB, respectively. The manufacturer list up to 20 layers on a disc being possible in the future.

The Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD formats use blue-violet lasers, rather than VMD's red laser, which means they can store more information per layer. However, those formats have so far only utilized 1- and 2-layered versions. In January 2007, Toshiba announced a triple layer HD DVD (TL51) that would have a capacity of 51GB. Hitachi announced a 4 and 6 layer version of Blu-ray as well, capable of 100 GB and 200 GB respectively. Therefore, a standard 4-layer VMD stores 20 GB which is comparable to a 1-layered HD DVD (15 GB) and 1-layer Blu-ray Disc (25 GB).

What a joke. This format has less of a chance than HD-DVD did.

F9zDark
March 1st, 2008, 05:11
Wow, thats ridiculous. Good luck on winning studio support!

jamotto
March 1st, 2008, 05:15
I'd rather have EVD if I was going for the obscure.

Wow, thats ridiculous. Good luck on winning studio support!

Well they have Icon Productions and Eros Group on their side.

SSaxdude
March 1st, 2008, 05:36
Holographic discs are the way to go.

lmtlmt
March 1st, 2008, 07:06
I'd rather have EVD if I was going for the obscure.

Well they have Icon Productions and Eros Group on their side.

ever heard of them:rofl:

Ultima Chocochu
March 1st, 2008, 16:22
Wow that's just great, ha.

Elven6
March 1st, 2008, 16:33
They actually have some pretty decent Hollywood movies on their format. Though their focus is mainly concentrated in Asia were it is apparently taking off.

If they wanted to "win" they should have made their discs compatible with HD DVD players, or to a certain extent DVD players.

F9zDark
March 1st, 2008, 17:31
Or they should have come out with their format when the real war was going on, rather than being a terrorist and taking advantage of the loser.

Besides no one in their right mind would buy in any other format; Blu-Ray won against HD-DVD and HD-DVD owners would stupid and egotistical to waste their money on a format other than Blu-Ray.

Mister Klownes
March 2nd, 2008, 20:25
Sony better be careful, they could like, destabilize their uh...foothold in the...oh God, who is anyone kidding with this? That's the mose ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

F9zDark
March 2nd, 2008, 21:58
And VMD has almost 0 corporate support.

Icon is Mel Gibson's movie studio and yeah, how many great movies are there from that studio... 0

Eros Group is an Indian "Bollywood" studio... So what use would their releases be here in the US? I doubt we could watch them due to region encoding restrictions, which would have be to 0 on the VMD to make the format even stand 1/10th of a percent of chance at gaining 1 customer...

VMD is a joke and is a prime example of scene terrorism. Stagnant technology that wasted significant money into making it seem "new" to try to shake the foundations of the truly next-gen formats.

Personally, I'd have rather seen HD-DVD win than this piece of shit win any day.

jamotto
March 3rd, 2008, 05:23
Icon is Mel Gibson's movie studio and yeah, how many great movies are there from that studio... 0

25 movies and 5 television shows.

Eros Group is an Indian "Bollywood" studio... So what use would their releases be here in the US? I doubt we could watch them due to region encoding restrictions
Well as the whole point of Eros Group is to bring "Bollywood" films to the US I believe region encoding is not an issue.

Elven6
March 3rd, 2008, 18:08
Like I said, they have support in Asia, and they also have some European/Asian distributors on board, thats why their are some Hollywood movies or TV shows on the format.

Who wouldn't want to watch Dora the Explroer in HD?