View Full Version : Soywiz`s PSP Emulator 2008-03-01 released

JKKDARK
March 1st, 2008, 23:24
Soywiz (http://www.soywiz.com/d/pspemulator/) has released a new PSP Emulator for Windows:

This is a proof of concept I made of a PSP Emulator with a debugger using D programming language and DFL library. Currently, the emulator only emulates a few instructions and a few BIOS calls.

2008/03/01:

- Partial (and buggy) lighting support.
- Some cleanups.
- Starting gui for breakpoints and gpu (not working yet).
- Corrected callstack.
- Some fixes; more homebrew demos supported.
- Temporally skinning broken.
- Temporally shaders disabled.
- Updated binaries.
- Reduced size of the font used in dissasembler and memory viewer.
- Allowing reduce dissasembler window size; now imports won't overlap).
- Initial support of opening files (not working fine yet).
- Threading support currently disabled (I have to fix some issues).
- mstick and reflection demos not supported yet

2008/02/24:

- Buggy skinning support.
- Implemented guLogic

2008/02/23:

- Now using shaders (opengl >= 2.0).
- Very fast clut.
- Now I will be able to emulate sprite behaviour (sprite.pbp) with vertex shaders.
- And probably hardware morphing and skining.

2008/02/22:

- cleanups
- clut support
- y-axis correction.

2008/02/21:

- more 3d support and more fpu instructions supported
- texture mapping

2008/02/20:

- Now can run a lot of integer instruction and some of the FP ones.
- Also emulates a little of the GPU with new opengl support and support more library imports.
- Fixed some bugs.
- I found mips specs so it will be more easy to implement cpu (except for allegrex-specific instructions).

2008/02/14:

- First Attempt (Buggy)

Download and Give Feeedback Via Comments

Dbgtgoten
March 2nd, 2008, 03:44
Sounds great we have to wait for it better this might help developers that can't get thier hands on a psp or a homebrew psp can't wait to see once this gets better :thumbup:

Zin0099
March 2nd, 2008, 08:11
maybe if this continues a i won't get another psp

DarthPaul
March 2nd, 2008, 08:52

Why? That comment was lame, no offense.

Why get an emulator for PSP and put the PSP away? The PSP, as the name implies, is a portable gaming system. It won't be the same fun to play the games on a PC. You just can get a PS2 emulator for PC, which is almost perfect at the moment, or play games originally made for PC.

This is good news, anyways. In my point of view, it's good to test some games here for those who don't have a Custom Firmware and can't play the back-ups on their PSP.

newb_fo_life
March 2nd, 2008, 12:09
If I could make a psp emu for the pc,i would make it so you would need the flash files from the psp

omracer
March 2nd, 2008, 12:13
The file is corrupt.
I got it off the site instead.
How do you get it working.
i've installed all of the stuff needed for it (DMD & GDL _

AdamRav
March 2nd, 2008, 13:16
Kool app

isnt this the first psp emulator for the pc ??

sappo
March 2nd, 2008, 13:42
Kool app

isnt this the first psp emulator for the pc ??

No, there are other 3.

dangee
March 2nd, 2008, 18:45
No, there are other 3.

I tried one of them , PSPe , and it wasn't, really.

This looks like it is,
good
news!

siulmagic
March 2nd, 2008, 18:57
very nice well done

rbervoets
March 2nd, 2008, 22:06
nice !

animegamemaster
March 3rd, 2008, 18:24
hmm... ima try it out to see what works

djbrotherson
March 3rd, 2008, 18:34
Anybody tried this? Does it work well?

omracer
March 3rd, 2008, 18:40
its really hard to get going. Can only run one piece of homebrew (the one which was part of the binary) & that was luck.
Could someone make a tutorial fo this

Art
March 3rd, 2008, 21:29

Why? That comment was lame, no offense.

A programmer might not care if a PSP is portable when he's
already stuck in front of a PC to write the program.
Then it's easier to use the emulator for small changes if it becomes that good.

That's the way homebrew for the PSX was created.
It was much more work to burn a CD for every program change.

JLF65
March 6th, 2008, 03:32
It's good to see someone doing something significant in D. It's a very nifty language. :D

JKKDARK
March 8th, 2008, 11:37
Comments from the author (http://forums.ngemu.com/emulation-news-submissions/101244-soywizs-psp-emulator-2008-03-01-a.html):

Hi, I'm the author of the emulator. (Sorry about my bad English, I'm Spanish.)

In the first place, I'd like to say that I didn't want to make the emulator public yet, but I posted in ps2dev asking for some information and somebody spreaded it.

My first intention was to make a proof of concept just for myself; I wanted to make an emulator, just for fun.

In fact, it's based in Noxa's great work, and I've never hid it.
I used the pspsdk for the HLE functions, and pspplayer for starting gpu rendering. I checked most of the instructions he implemented from the gpu and reimplemented them in my code, mantaining it as simple as I could —reconsidering some of the code, like texture mapping or clut; I tried to use OpenGL shaders for implementing skinning and clut.
CPU is interpreted (and it still will in the future, since the purpose of the emulator is not playing, but debugging), and it's based in the official R4000 specs plus the documentation of the ps2dev community.
I use DFL for the GUI.

And well, my intention is not to make a HLE emulator, but make it work using a dump from the original firmware. At this moment I'm trying to gather as much info as possible about the firmware and bootstrap.

Of course, I'm not trying to compete with pspplayer, but develop an interpreted alternative with a good debugger, and, if possible, emulating the firmware.
Also, I think I could help to improve pspplayer as I improve my emulator, if Noxa likes.

I have been reading a lot of info about psp firmware and hardware to determine if it's feasible to make a non HLE emulator.

At this point this is very unlikely.

PSP has a piece of hardware to decrypt some important files and make other kind of crypto operations.

This piece of hardware is called kirk and it's used to decrypt IPL at the boot and PRX files (dynamic libraries).

The only way to use firmware is to make a firmware decrypted; and it isn't very useful.

So the best option is to make an HLE emulation. And I will continue by that way. I will focus specially on the debugger and running homebrew at this point.

JoshuaDR
May 1st, 2008, 06:17
Uhhhmmm How do istall it???

nottnanott
May 2nd, 2008, 04:31
good

Nocuddle
May 2nd, 2008, 15:40
Spanish eh? Hmm I smell sum1 very skilled behind this. :D

The year of PSP emu on window maybe 2008.
Good to have an emu, like I can play games at home with it. The PSP would be use outside the house. Oh crap, if this happen, I wont have anymore problem with "2nd" analog! ^_^

lerjet4
June 8th, 2012, 14:00
Thank you!