PDA

View Full Version : Putting my money where my mouth is

ICE
March 3rd, 2008, 15:47
Recently everyone's favorite member Shadowprophet started up a poll to decide whether he should buy a new PS3 or an EEE Pc. The PS3 won in a total landslide with only something like 6 people voting EEE. I was one of them.

So here in the next few days I plan to shell out about $400 on a white EEE Pc 4g surf to show I meant business! (The real reason im buying it is because I want one and my laptop now is too big and unportable. Importable? Whatever..) Shadez soon when you see how much I love my EEE you'll regret buying the PS3! Just you wait...

JKKDARK
March 3rd, 2008, 16:17
Buy the EEE. Remember, you have to stand for what you believe.

ICE
March 3rd, 2008, 16:37
Exactly. Thats how serious I take everything including polls on forums. If I say something you know I mean it.

Triv1um
March 3rd, 2008, 16:40
But shades loves his PS3.. He said so ;)

ICE
March 3rd, 2008, 16:44
Just wait... I was right and the EEE will prove it.. lol

Triv1um
March 3rd, 2008, 16:50
The EEE is just for the novelty effect, but then again you are a Wii user. So you must like that. :D (joke)

ICE
March 3rd, 2008, 16:57
Nah it will be a better fit for me just like the Wii is better fit for me. My laptop has terrible battery life and is too big to be portable so now I'll have a lappy that can actually be a laptop and not just a small desktop pc that never leaves my room..

the_eternal_dark
March 3rd, 2008, 19:08
A 4GB surf for $400. That's a rip. The 4GB, with webcam, from newegg is $399. For a hundred more ($499) you could get the 8GB version. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220264

Don't make the mistake and put Windows on there, you'll only kill that poor little SSD. eeexubuntu is the way to go.

ICE
March 3rd, 2008, 19:19
Its $400 after taxes and shipping and I was getting it from newegg lol. I was planning on leaving xandros on there for a while and then if I wanted I was going for Ubuntu.

the_eternal_dark
March 3rd, 2008, 19:55
Its $400 after taxes and shipping and I was getting it from newegg lol. I was planning on leaving xandros on there for a while and then if I wanted I was going for Ubuntu.

I see. Just making sure you weren't getting ripped, ICE.

The modified xandros is good, but is more of a novelty than it is an operating system.

ICE
March 3rd, 2008, 20:02
Part of the reason I wanted the EEE was so I could have a very portable laptop with a great boot time and xandros basic mode boots in 20 seconds. Advanced mode get about 40 so unless I just hate it or something else is comparable I'll try to use it.

the_eternal_dark
March 3rd, 2008, 20:09
Part of the reason I wanted the EEE was so I could have a very portable laptop with a great boot time and xandros basic mode boots in 20 seconds. Advanced mode get about 40 so unless I just hate it or something else is comparable I'll try to use it.

To each his own. You'll love it either way. And you won't be able to put it down. :D

ICE
March 3rd, 2008, 21:02
All I know is windows will never be on it.

kcajblue
March 4th, 2008, 01:12
i was one of the few who voted for him to get it too. :cool:

ICE
March 4th, 2008, 01:28
Good call. I am very close to selling my c640 so I can order it ;)
I'll do an unboxing vid if you guys want :P

kcajblue
March 4th, 2008, 02:44
i want to see it.
so youd better do it! *glares at ice*

ICE
March 4th, 2008, 02:53
Lol ok ok. My old lappy will be sold by thursday and the Eee will be ordered that night so expect an unboxing video sometime next week. That is if I can pry myself away from SSBB long enough to post it...

EDIT: 3000th post. Booya.

kcajblue
March 4th, 2008, 04:12
cool.
i might get one myself, so im gonna watch a bunch of videos of it.

EDIT: oh yeah, youre not the only one who can do that. 4000th post.

ICE
March 4th, 2008, 04:31
i'll give you a good look at it then ;)
oh and you may have more posts but i am richer!! lol

the_eternal_dark
March 4th, 2008, 16:14
Post a vid. Let us know how you like it.

acn010
March 4th, 2008, 16:25
ps3 is good :)

ICE
March 4th, 2008, 18:11
Ive thought about getting a PS3 but I really dont play video games enough anymore to warrant paying that much money on a system.

acn010
March 4th, 2008, 18:17
but mgs and assasins creed and DMC4 and even GT5 and GTA4 :(

ICE
March 4th, 2008, 18:30
Yeah I know but single player games rarely interest me anymore I guess. I've sorta had my fill of shooting games too... they can be fun and all but it just always feels like I've played them before. Thats part of the reason I love the Wii. It actually feels new to me :P

SnesR0X
March 4th, 2008, 18:33
i was one of the few who voted for him to get it too. :cool:

ditto

I was hopeful, but if he's happy with a ps3 whatever, it's his munny

the_eternal_dark
March 5th, 2008, 09:40
ditto

I was hopeful, but if he's happy with a ps3 whatever, it's his munny

Same here and agreed.

lmtlmt
March 5th, 2008, 10:30
PS3 pwns EEE anyday mate.

the_eternal_dark
March 5th, 2008, 11:46

In terms of playing games, yes. But can you play your PS3 on a plane?

ICE
March 5th, 2008, 17:38

Apples and oranges broseph.

SnesR0X
March 5th, 2008, 19:39

Maybe if you paid Ben Heck 2 grand :D

ICE
March 5th, 2008, 20:50
After the unboxing vid I'll try a few emulators on the stock xandros. I may be able to order it tonight. If not then tomorrow for sure. 2nd day shipping rush order and what not :D

kcajblue
March 6th, 2008, 06:23
cool stuff.
cant wait. :D

ICE
March 6th, 2008, 15:05
Yup. It shipped this morning from Memphis and I live in knoxville so it won be long at all :D.

ninja9393
March 6th, 2008, 23:42

Sooooo... instead of getting a ps3 you can plane ALL the time at home, you can't spend 1 or 2 hours on the plane doing whatever, a lot of planes have direct tv and crap

dont get me wrong i like the eee pc but i think thats not a good reason to 1up the PS3

ICE
March 7th, 2008, 00:13
Sooooo... instead of getting a ps3 you can plane ALL the time at home, you can't spend 1 or 2 hours on the plane doing whatever, a lot of planes have direct tv and crap

dont get me wrong i like the eee pc but i think thats not a good reason to 1up the PS3

The whole "my eee> Shadez ps3" thing was a joke. They're way too different to compare. Ones a laptop and ones a game console. I would prefer if this didnt turn in to an overy stupid ps3 vs eee thread because that is just way to absurd for me to handle.

ninja9393
March 7th, 2008, 01:37
The whole "my eee> Shadez ps3" thing was a joke. They're way too different to compare. Ones a laptop and ones a game console. I would prefer if this didnt turn in to an overy stupid ps3 vs eee thread because that is just way to absurd for me to handle.

Im not trying to make it that way i was just saying that was a lame way to compare the two. I totally Agree with you that they are completely different, I personally look at it like this, it doesen't matter which one you buy, you buy the one that is better for you and i guess for shadow that was the PS3 and for you it was the EEE. Hell, i used to not like the PS3 but because of Blu-ray winning i will probobly buy one in the next year or so after i get my lap top

wolfpack
March 7th, 2008, 03:46
the only reason id buy a ps3 is if crysis was ported to it, which is a possibility from what ive been hearing from magazines, plus i want MGS 4 :p

ICE
March 8th, 2008, 04:19
Well I got it today but my camera wont cooperate with me so sorry guys :D

By the way its awesome. I installed advanced desktop about 5 minutes after the first boot and have determined that Xandros isnt that bad. My Ubuntu disk will wait on my until I change my mind..

kcajblue
March 8th, 2008, 05:57
aww, i was hoping to see the video too.

keep trying!!!!

ICE
March 8th, 2008, 06:24
What would you like to see? I'll try again tomorrow so I guess just let me know.

the_eternal_dark
March 8th, 2008, 14:16
Im not trying to make it that way i was just saying that was a lame way to compare the two. I totally Agree with you that they are completely different, I personally look at it like this, it doesen't matter which one you buy, you buy the one that is better for you and i guess for shadow that was the PS3 and for you it was the EEE. Hell, i used to not like the PS3 but because of Blu-ray winning i will probobly buy one in the next year or so after i get my lap top

The joke seems to be lost on a few people here. Notice how my comparison isn't really a comparison at all.

@SnesRox
::drools at the thought of portable PS3:: ::remembers xbox360 laptop Ben Heck built:: Nice.:thumbup:

ICE
March 9th, 2008, 03:21
Im going to install eeexbuntu on an sd card tomorrow so I can dual boot between it and the built in Xandros so I'll get a video of that hopefully.

ICE
March 11th, 2008, 02:03
Ok so as promised heres an overview of the Eee. I have a Zsnes video coming along with an eeexubuntu boot video.

Ey1CEDRN8UY

Quality is crap because my normal camera is not working atm. Also I had tried taking it using my good camera 4 times prior to breaking down and using the crappy one so I was a bit over the whole thing lol.

EDIT: Heres the Zsnes video.

vefoa3PjGWw

EDIT2: Heres the boot video

7YN7-ko12oM

the_eternal_dark
March 14th, 2008, 01:06
Nice vids ICE. How are you liking your EEE?

ICE
March 14th, 2008, 01:35
On it now and loving it. Im running Xubuntu full time now and its as fast as my pc and old laptop were easily. Open Arena even runs on little thing. Amazing really.

kcajblue
March 14th, 2008, 01:38
cool. you got the vids up.

now i have to get one even more.

ICE
March 14th, 2008, 04:59
Well get ready to want one even more!

Open Arena on Eee Pc!
2bJfTWEjYFI

the_eternal_dark
March 14th, 2008, 07:27
Nice vid, now all you need is a mini-mouse and you'll be set.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying it. With the new version coming out, are you going to turn around and buy one of those next? I'm still debating on whether or not to give my little sis my current one and step up to the larger screen/storage of the next incarnation.

ICE
March 14th, 2008, 16:05
For now im sticking with this one. I may want the bigger one later but for now this works :D

Triv1um
March 14th, 2008, 17:54
Looks like cheaply built crap :S

Sorry dude, but that aint for me. The screen, eww.

ICE
March 14th, 2008, 18:27
Go read or watch some review of it somewhere. If you dont want a subnotebook thats great but its not cheaply built crap. The thing runs better than my dell laptop that retails for more than twice its price.. I wanted an ultraportable laptop and this thing is perfect.

Shrygue
March 14th, 2008, 19:43
I've been thinking of getting an EEE PC, have Linux (Kubuntu) on it. I'll wait it out for the 9 inch screen one (is it that one that's next?). I just need to save some more £££ then I'll be set when it arrives.

Triv1um
March 15th, 2008, 01:25
A few stickers can really make it look different cant it? :D

Anyone?
http://www.gamleys.co.uk/images/bobs_laptop.jpghttp://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u213/triv1um/eee_opencopy-1.png

ICE
March 15th, 2008, 03:35
Trivium you may think thats funny but actually its just childish. Stop derailing my thread with juvenile garbage like that.

EDIT: Did you seriously make that picture just to make a lame joke? Ok... Someone has too much free time..

the_eternal_dark
March 15th, 2008, 07:36
I've been thinking of getting an EEE PC, have Linux (Kubuntu) on it. I'll wait it out for the 9 inch screen one (is it that one that's next?). I just need to save some more £££ then I'll be set when it arrives.

Yeah, the 9in is the next model. The KDE desktop may be a little slow on the EEE though. You may want to check into using fvwm and one of it's themes (fvwm-crystal, for one, is beautiful, fast, and simple: eyecandy+functionality+speed). Then again, it's all a matter of personal preference.

Look to spend between $400-$600 USD depending on storage space (8GB and up to 20GB).

Triv1um
March 15th, 2008, 09:48
Trivium you may think thats funny but actually its just childish. Stop derailing my thread with juvenile garbage like that.

EDIT: Did you seriously make that picture just to make a lame joke? Ok... Someone has too much free time..

Haha, ****ing hell man. Calm down.

Someone is a bit defencive? Loosen up dude.

dejkirkby
March 15th, 2008, 11:35
I was in Dixons yesterday and the wife was tempted by the Eee PC, but right next to it was a lappy for just over a hundred quid more that absolutely blew the Eee PC specs right out of the water.
It just doesn't seem value for money to me tbh.
Maybe I need a "test-drive"...

Shrygue
March 15th, 2008, 11:57
@the_eternal_dark: I prefer the KDE desktop and the boot screen. It does not however prevent me from using other desktop software like Gnome though so I may try out what you've said.

ICE
March 15th, 2008, 14:55
Haha, ****ing hell man. Calm down.

Someone is a bit defencive? Loosen up dude.

Who's being "defencive"? Im just telling you not to derail my thread with childish stuff like that. This is a serious thread so try to keep it that way.

Accordion
March 15th, 2008, 18:11
three 'E's cant be serious?

Should have waited for the 9inch model, a screen the same size as the top panel makes sense. Other than that it definitely seems you get what you pay for, both ways.

ICE
March 15th, 2008, 18:19
I actually wanted the smallest model laptop i could find that ran well so why would I get the 9-inch for more money? Besides that why would say you get what you pay for? It seeks like everyone I've seen, including me, loves the thing.

Accordion
March 15th, 2008, 18:31
I said you get what you pay for in both regards: good and bad.

How large is the top panel of your model?

THe massive black border doesn't make the device any smaller, even a small price increase would be worth the device using the available space.

ICE
March 15th, 2008, 19:19
The 9-inch model is larger than the current one but not by a huge margin. I don't know I guess the screen size just doesn't bother me at all. I had been using my Nokia Internet Tablet for most of my light browsing before and its screen is much smaller.

I just figure if the screen size isn't an issue to me why pay the extra money for a bigger one? Oh and I would get more storage but on mine right now I have a gb of free space as it is :P

SSaxdude
March 15th, 2008, 19:23
Without Windows XP (or even Mac OS X) I see no reason to buy the Eee Pc. Now if it could run Windows and had more storage it would be sweet. Without much memory space and a good operating system, I could only see myself typing things and checking my mail on it.

Sorry, I would have to go with the PS3.

ICE
March 15th, 2008, 19:46
It can run Windows and very well at that. I'm just a Linux guy myself.

the_eternal_dark
March 15th, 2008, 21:33
Without Windows XP (or even Mac OS X) I see no reason to buy the Eee Pc. Now if it could run Windows and had more storage it would be sweet. Without much memory space and a good operating system, I could only see myself typing things and checking my mail on it.

Sorry, I would have to go with the PS3.

If you are comparing XP/OS X to the "standard" operating system installed on the system, you have not tried any other OS. What can Windows or Mac do that Linux or BSD can't do? Plus, half the fun is building the OS to how you want it...

Then again, everyone has their own preferences, but why would you want to be a sheep if you could be a wolf?

SSaxdude
March 15th, 2008, 21:57
If you are comparing XP/OS X to the "standard" operating system installed on the system, you have not tried any other OS. What can Windows or Mac do that Linux or BSD can't do? Plus, half the fun is building the OS to how you want it...

Then again, everyone has their own preferences, but why would you want to be a sheep if you could be a wolf?

Yes, I know Linux is free, open source, and people who use it think they're better than us Windows users. I don't really care. When I decided to buy a computer, I wanted an operating system that works with about everything. I searched to see if ConvertXtoDVD (a program I use a ton) works with Linux, and it seems it doesn't. The majority of emulators (SNES, NES, for example) are coded for Windows.

ICE
March 15th, 2008, 23:21
Yes, I know Linux is free, open source, and people who use it think they're better than us Windows users. I don't really care. When I decided to buy a computer, I wanted an operating system that works with about everything. I searched to see if ConvertXtoDVD (a program I use a ton) works with Linux, and it seems it doesn't. The majority of emulators (SNES, NES, for example) are coded for Windows.

Im going to ignore the statement "people who use it think they're better than us Windows users" and move on to the whole some things are Windows only thing.

Almost every single app out there either has a Linux clone or runs with Wine. Actually several apps run BETTER under wine then under actual windows.. Emulators included. You name a console that Windows can emulate and I'll show you a either a Linux version or the same Windows version running great under Wine.

Linux is just more fun. Its more open and theres just more to do. Some people want something that is simple and some don't. I understand that but my preference is Linux.

No_one_in_particular
March 17th, 2008, 00:22
Looks great, man. Love how compact and portable it actually is.

ICE
March 17th, 2008, 00:50
Looks great, man. Love how compact and portable it actually is.

Thank you. I got a wireless usb mouse today :D
I ran a little experiment to see how fast I could make it run Windows so I'll have another little video soon..

EDIT:50vxiALbQ8g

the_eternal_dark
March 17th, 2008, 06:35

No, we're no better than Windows users (only slightly better in some respects). Most of us have used Windows in the past but grew tired of it. Linux was that nice cool breeze on a hot day for me. Customization, ease of use, speed, power, and security, and most importantly, freedom to do what the hell you want to do with your OS. You can break it, download it, torrent it, re-build it, bulk it up, slim it down, shake it, quake it, bake it, take it, fake it, talk to it, play with it, work with it, watch it, listen to it, and use it to serve your needs and wants and not adhering to an EULA or any form or copyright/license agreement.

For emulators, let's see: SNES9x and ZSNES for Super Nintendo, ePSXe and pSX for PS1, FCE Ultra and Fake NES and fwNES for for the Nintendo Entertainment System, Gens for Sega Genesis, and so on, you get the point. That was just a few examples, it'd probably take pages to list all the console emulators available. Linux does just about anything you can do in Windows, either as good or better, for free (in most cases). Many Windows users haven't experienced Linux yet, that is what throws them off, because it is "different".

And as for ConvertX, http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2007/08/convert-and-burn-divx-to-dvd-easily.html, it looks like it runs in Wine. Or you could use DeVeDe, which is pretty much the same thing, only free and runs in Linux natively.

ICE, I'm actually impressed with the boot time with Windows. Good job with the demo.

ICE
March 17th, 2008, 15:22
I've got Windows running like a beast on this thing :P I'll be heading back to Ubuntu now though :P