PDA

View Full Version : Nega-review: God of War: Chains of Olympus

wraggster
March 4th, 2008, 21:23
"Chains of Olympus doesn't quite live up to the other God of War games." (4) "Ready at Dawn didn't mess with the franchise's proven formula whatsoever, which is ... one of our ... gripes for the game." (3) "Gameplay-wise, nothing much has changed ... You still run around and beat the beejezus [sic] out of enemies and then meet up with the occasional boss fight." (5) "I wish that Ready at Dawn had added something new the canon rather than just re-using what's been done in the past." (7)

"The game feels a bit too familiar ... [and] at times you do feel like you've played the game before." (7) That said, "the game is missing some of the features from other God of War games. ... you won't find the ability to use your blades on grappling points, the Icarus Wings, Rage of the Gods, rope traversal, rope swinging, a fourth magic, etc." (4) "I find myself disappointed ... that the game doesn't quite have the same feeling of showing you something new around every corner that the previous games did." (4)

"The game is also brutally linear: you're constantly running from point A to point B, stopping to administer the occasional beatdown." (5) It could also be described as "a very linear experience, (3) that "may be a touch linear." (9) "Toward the end, combat got pretty repetitious, relying really heavily on the mechanic of blocking you into a room and not letting you out until you finished taking down the waves of enemies." (1) "It would have been nice to have seen a little experimentation here or there to mix things up. (3) "Altogether, ... the game feels like a bit less of an adventure and more of a straightforward action game." (4)

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/03/04/nega-review-god-of-war-chains-of-olympus/

Mister Klownes
March 4th, 2008, 22:12
Well it's not all that surprising...but I'm certainly not just going to say "oh well" and not get it. I believe I'll be stopping by Best Buy after class Friday, pick up whatever I can get my mitts on to celebrate not having another exam for a week.

mcdougall57
March 5th, 2008, 00:34
too bad it was hyped :/

watupgroupie
March 5th, 2008, 01:13
I have never played a god of war game because I never really like the ps2. But i'll defintaly get this since this guy still say's it's "OK" and there isn't a lot out on the psp right now :P

osgeld
March 5th, 2008, 03:38
meh whiny critics

its not new, it doesnt change everything that made gow gow, we dont like it

ok whatever its not a whole new experience, it wasnt suposta be, its gow in your pocket which i dont see anyone doing with a ps2

osgeld
March 5th, 2008, 03:39
dupe post

kryst abegnalie
March 5th, 2008, 03:49
they're so dumb, we should appreciate what we have today in our psp's if they dont like it, dont play it, if you like it, then recommend it to others..

jedikevin20
March 5th, 2008, 06:01
This critic seems to be the oddball in the group. From what i've found, Gamespot, Xplay, Ign, 1Up, Gametap, Gamespy, Game informer, and about 9 others gave this game a B+--- A+ When all the critics are giving the game the same high range score i believe the game is doing something. Metecritic has it at 93/100 based on 22 reviews so i think this Review by Nega is a off ball to the fact others have.

MicroNut
March 5th, 2008, 07:53
I am still buying it.

Dembonz
March 5th, 2008, 08:01
This seems to be a critic who's decided to take a different stance than the rest of his fellow critics and take giant sh!t on this game. WTF do you expect from a portable game that is trying to capture as much of the console experience with mobile limitations? The formula works so don't fck with it. I'm sure all key elements are there in spades. I'm sure this game is brilliant. Innovation will come with the PS3 version where anything is possible.

djbrotherson
March 5th, 2008, 13:43
Oookay...

Whoever writes these types of articles on the regular must be a very pessimistic person in nature, their loss.

What do you expect? This is God of War for the PSP b!tch, enjoy yourself or go get a cranberry juice

blackrave
March 5th, 2008, 15:36
This isn't one critic's odd view on the game. If you read on the bottom of Joystiq's article ...

Welcome, greek mythology fans, to the latest installment in Joystiq's Nega-review series. As always, this Nega-review takes the small, negative points from many overwhelmingly positive reviews and compiles them together into a horribly scathing whole. While positive context may have been removed from some excerpts, everything inside the quote marks was indeed intended as a negative in the original review.

And they also comment about this particular Nega-review compilation:

While you might think it would be hard to put together a review for a game that many are calling the best PSP game ever made, it was surprisingly not that difficult. Reviewers tended to agree that the game's linearity, familiarity, and simplistic puzzles were the weakest points. Much of the small criticism of the game came largely in comparing it to the hugely successful PS2 versions -- perhaps an unfair standard for a PSP game, but one that shows just how high the title stands above others on the same system.

Take a look at the game's Metacritic (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/psp/godofwar) for a more positive collection of reviews. In fact, it's the #1 game ever on the Metacritic list at the moment.

No_one_in_particular
March 5th, 2008, 15:50
Thanks for the explanation. For me, the numbers in brackets give it away as a compilation of sorts.

**1_Man_Matrix**
March 5th, 2008, 21:55
I'm getting it, I have a knack for loving games and movies everyone else, especially critics, hate :)

Besides, It's God Of War!

hodey
March 5th, 2008, 22:06
The whole point is to hasve the GOW experiance on your psp. The original formula worked, so why mess with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Oh, and BTW, GOW rocks!

Joe88
March 6th, 2008, 00:20
crap review
almost as bad as the review from gamespot...

mike_jmg
March 6th, 2008, 02:47
I don't know, I'll have to see it by myself
I don't care about critics, most of the time I disagree with them

Once I play it, we'll see, at this point, the demo was great, hope the game is not that short as some people say

djbrotherson
March 6th, 2008, 02:53
this game is tight :D

mike_jmg
March 8th, 2008, 03:38
At last I got my hands on God of War, and let me say so far so great

but the review has only one good point the battles on "rooms" where you have to beat all the enemies appear too much and it gets a little annoying, but no one can't deny is a great game and it's even better cause you can play it on the go

ICE
March 8th, 2008, 05:58
Its pretty great in my opinion. One of the better on PSP. Oh and guys the point of this article was to give a negative view of a great game to show you the bad where others really haven't. I, for one, like it :D

No_one_in_particular
March 8th, 2008, 15:03
Yeh I think the concept's lost on some people, even after an explanation...

acn010
March 8th, 2008, 15:55
bought it... its cool.....
everyone is a critic