PDA

View Full Version : µTorrent woes

AuroEdge
March 5th, 2008, 08:42
I tried downloading Open Office with µTorrent and had mixed success. One item of interest is will increasing the value of net.max_halfopen from 8 to a higher number subsequently increase torrent performance? I used to use BitTornado but wanted to try out something new. Most Google searches bring up things people should already know like setting your upload speed correctly and number of peers to connect to.

the_eternal_dark
March 5th, 2008, 09:29
That is why I use ktorrent or Frostwire, but then again I am using Ubuntu.

uTorrent is good, it could be that the torrent you are attempting to download is bad.

AdamRav
March 5th, 2008, 09:43
Yea, download speed usaully depends on how many seeders there are

dejkirkby
March 5th, 2008, 17:39
Why not just download OpenOffice from their website?
It's freeware.

SnesR0X
March 5th, 2008, 19:37
Azureus FTW!
Never failed me.
Honestly a great piece of software.

dejkirkby
March 5th, 2008, 19:46
Azureus FTW!
Never failed me.
Honestly a great piece of software.
Great program, but very resource hungry.

SnesR0X
March 7th, 2008, 00:16
Great program, but very resource hungry.

You mean power consumption? Or CPU usage?

mike_jmg
March 7th, 2008, 02:32
BitLord

AuroEdge
March 7th, 2008, 16:08
I upped the number of peers it can connect to. By default it only allows 50 per torrent. Also, had a hunch and checked the System Event Viewer (Windows XP) and saw more 4226 entries than I liked. Apparently even though µTorrent isn't aggressive to lower cpu usage it still uses a lot of half-open connections. I used LvlLord's patcher so that you aren't limited to only ten and my woes went away. One easy way to spot this problem with any application is if when browsing multiple pages at once some connect, albeit slowly, and others don't connect at all to sites that should never be down.

acn010
March 7th, 2008, 17:42
this leads to torrents sorry but no more discussion

the_eternal_dark
March 8th, 2008, 14:18
this leads to torrents sorry but no more discussion

How are some torrents a bad thing exactly? Most Linux OS's are distributed only via torrent. Open Office has the option to be downloaded torrent. Sure, pirates use torrents for "bad things", but good things can be gotten with torrents, legally I might add, and it sure as hell is a lot faster than waiting on your distro of choice to be mailed to you or wait for more than 3-4 hours for a 2gb OS due to network bottleneck in a big city.

cal360
March 8th, 2008, 15:28
DCemu doesn't allow torrent discussion as it follows directly to illegal downloading.

acn010
March 8th, 2008, 15:38
DCemu doesn't allow torrent discussion as it follows directly to illegal downloading.

no matter what... it is still torrents

Triv1um
March 8th, 2008, 17:15
1: No illegal/improper content such as warez, links to warez, FTP sites with illegal content, etc. This includes Utopia (boot disk) and illegal hacked browsers. No talking about the process of creating backups or getting backup/warez running on your console (i.e. NO posts about PSP ISO launchers).

The discussion of Legal torrents is not mentioned, as it isnt warez.

Therefore its not against the rules.

So, if you want to be a Wannabe mod, do it properly.

acn010
March 9th, 2008, 01:44
you fail!!!! it is still warez..

S34MU5
March 9th, 2008, 11:30
you need a patch to do the max half open thing

you shouldn't change it to 50 unless you have patched windows.

Pretty sure he was torrenting OpenOffice to test his speeds. It is a good one for doing that.
Yes it is freeware. You don't just use torrents for downloading illegal programs etc.

Sometimes ISP's cap your downloads at peak times so try testing late a night.
I am with Tiscali UK and they cap there downloads at 6-11PM. As soon as it hits 11PM my speeds go from 50kB/s to >300kB/s

No_one_in_particular
March 9th, 2008, 13:55
you fail!!!! it is still warez..
I think you fail; surely freeware isn't warez ?

Triv1um
March 9th, 2008, 15:47
>>>>>OWN3D (http://acn010.justgotowned.com/)<<<<<

the_eternal_dark
March 14th, 2008, 01:20
Fun stuff, I'm glad you got it working AuroEdge.