PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Linux or not?

shadowprophet
March 6th, 2008, 09:45
Hidy ho guys. it's true I'm still alive, sometimes I go off on these extended vacations to avoid getting caught in a grind. that's what I would like people to believe anyway. but in reality, i'm just this huge gamer and sometimes I go through these phases where every second of my spare time in spent in on games,. Lately i've been playing a lot of ps3. By the way, thanks to everyone that voted. I really couldn't be happier with my shiny new console.
I began looking into homebrew options for the ps3, and I have a couple questions.

I was hoping that maybe some ps3 zealot could swing through and clear some things up for me, Firstly. is linux the only option for ps3 homebrew? if one could even call it that? secondly. having a non backwards compatible ps3? if I installed this linux, could my ps3 be made to play ps2 games, all the while retaining its bc for ps1 and the ability to play ps3 titles ?

I have spoken to a few people about the linux for the ps3. there are like two or three different versions like yellow dog and fedora and ext..

but the one common note that is given to me is that no matter what version of linux I decide to use, my ps3 will still very very limited in functionality.

is linux even worth it? Would I still be able to have a choice of which os to use? or once I install linux is my ps3 firmware gone?

any enlightenment on these issues would greatly help a shadow out.

peace, shades.

lmtlmt
March 6th, 2008, 10:03
installing linux on ps3 creates partitions one for linux an done for ps3 os, dont worry your ps3 wont get harmed in the process, ubuntu is also available on the ps3, i dont know if there are any ps2 emulators for linux but the ps3 probably wouldnt be able to use them if it did cause ps3 linux has very limited access. Yes as of right now linux is the only option for homebrew, nobody has yet to crack the hypervisor. Once again i say that installing linux doesnt hinder your ps3 in any way, it still maintains all its functionality.

hope this clears a few things up for you :)

shadowprophet
March 6th, 2008, 10:06
installing linux on ps3 creates partitions one for linux an done for ps3 os, dont worry your ps3 wont get harmed in the process, ubuntu is also available on the ps3, i dont know if there are any ps2 emulators for linux but the ps3 probably wouldnt be able to use them if it did cause ps3 linux has very limited access. Yes as of right now linux is the only option for homebrew, nobody has yet to crack the hypervisor. Once again i satte that installing linux doesnt hinder your ps3 in any way, it still maintains all its functionality.

hope this clears a few things up for you :)

Much thankies brother lmtlmt :cool:

lmtlmt
March 6th, 2008, 10:08
no worries bro, and oh man i spelt say wrong, lol.

If i got anything wrong(pretty sure i didnt though, lol) dejkirkby will be able to correct me, he is an expert at this. :D

dejkirkby
March 6th, 2008, 11:36
lmtlmt got it almost spot on. Except you actually create the partition for yourself. The choice I made was a 10gb for YDL and a 50gb partition for the PS3 firmware, simply because the Linux partition in not usable for PSN downloads and such.
Anymore help you need, give me a buzz.

Accordion
March 6th, 2008, 14:51
you might want to upgrade the HDD first.

Is there anything worth using linux for?

Triv1um
March 6th, 2008, 16:10
I wouldn't bother.

I have Ubuntu on mine, and it runs slow, the PPC so software is semi-limited.

Pointless.

DPyro
March 8th, 2008, 03:15
I just hope Sony or Terra Soft releases a graphics driver so that Linux won't remain gimped. If that happened you could very well see a PS2 emulator or at the very least some fairly decent 3D homebrew apps.

the_eternal_dark
March 8th, 2008, 13:54
you might want to upgrade the HDD first.

Is there anything worth using linux for?

To say you have a kick-ass console that doubles as a computer, what else do you need?

I just hope Sony or Terra Soft releases a graphics driver so that Linux won't remain gimped. If that happened you could very well see a PS2 emulator or at the very least some fairly decent 3D homebrew apps.

It's for that reason that Sony will not allow more access to the hardware for the Linux kernel. It would be pretty cool to play True Combat: Elite or some Nexuiz on a PS3, though.