PDA

View Full Version : Sony, Microsoft discuss Blu-ray for Xbox 360

wraggster
March 6th, 2008, 20:13
Sony is in talks with console rival Microsoft about offering a Blu-ray drive for the Xbox 360, according to a senior executive.

After Sony's victory last month in the high-definition DVD format war, Stan Glasgow, Sony Electronics US president, said the two sides were now talking about Microsoft adopting Blu-ray.

A Blu-ray drive in a 360 would make Microsoft more competitive with the PS3, but it would also mean extra revenues for Sony's electronics division. It would also add further cost to the 360, meaning a premium edition of the console could be necessary.

A Blu-ray drive could be incorporated in its top-of-the-range Elite Xbox, or Microsoft could again offer a drive as a plug-in peripheral.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ca6017de-eba6-11dc-9493-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1

JKKDARK
March 6th, 2008, 20:37
Nah, it's just a false rumor. I'm sure the HD-DVD will back at the top soon.

Cloudhunter
March 6th, 2008, 20:52
Nah, it's just a false rumor. I'm sure the HD-DVD will back at the top soon.

Ahahaha. HD-DVD lost.

Go ahead, delude yourself :)

Cloudy

I xfire I
March 6th, 2008, 21:14
hd dvd is dead, but why would a premium xbox be needed, they can just release the add on live they did the hd dvd drive and dont need to ask sony as they own the patent for the codec blu ray uses.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
March 6th, 2008, 22:29
Still need $ony patents for hardware....

DCergo
March 7th, 2008, 00:34
hd dvd is dead, but why would a premium xbox be needed, they can just release the add on live they did the hd dvd drive and dont need to ask sony as they own the patent for the codec blu ray uses.

Most Blu-ray exclusive studios used AVC, a Sony created and owned codec (50% anyway), not VC-1. There's even less incentive now to use VC-1, the MS codec.

Shadowblind
March 7th, 2008, 05:29
Pssst. The next gen of videos is digital. Not format. Pass it on.