PDA

View Full Version : Ballmer: "We'll support Blu-ray"

Shrygue
March 7th, 2008, 19:24
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=33905)

Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer has admitted that the company is working on ways to support Blu-ray, the next-generation DVD format.

Although he did not talk specifically about the format in relation to gaming, he did concede it was time to move on following the collapse of the HD-DVD format earlier this year.

"We've already been working on, for example, in Windows, device driver support for Blu-ray drives and the like, and I think the world moves on," said Ballmer at the Mix08 conference.

"Toshiba has moved on. We've moved on, and we'll support Blu-ray in ways that make sense," he said.

Many are expecting Microsoft to announce a Blu-ray peripheral for the Xbox 360 in the near future, following the demise of the HD-DVD format and Microsoft's decision to end production of a HD-DVD add-on for its console.

According to a Financial Times report yesterday, Microsoft and Sony are currently in talks to offer a Blu-ray drive for the Xbox 360.

JKKDARK
March 7th, 2008, 19:56
No, tell me it's not happening. HD-DVD should win, there's not any other option in my mind. I hope Steve is just joking.

acn010
March 7th, 2008, 19:58
one thing:
Pwned @ Microsoft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol

Shrygue
March 7th, 2008, 20:24
JKKDARK, HD-DVD is totally dead so get over it and accept the fact it's gone. After all, Microsoft should soon be joing the Blu-Ray sometime so no point in going for an obsolete format.

cal360
March 7th, 2008, 20:28
It would be great for microsoft to produce their own Blue-ray drive. I did support HD DVD all the way but it seems that the most popular one has one over the best. Lets hope its been the right choice.

acn010
March 7th, 2008, 20:49
blue ray is more... compact for me plus its contents and functionality is pretty much superb

bah
March 8th, 2008, 02:48
JKK likes to support things no matter if reality has chosen an alternative. :)

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=93288

wolfpack
March 8th, 2008, 04:30
jkk only wants bluray to lose prolly because he bought a hddvd player and wasted a bunch of money on it.