PDA

View Full Version : Softcore gamers, I stab at the!

shadowprophet
March 9th, 2008, 08:17
What is a soft-core gamer anyway? and why are they so important in the gaming community. Do you call yourself a soft-core gamer? What do they contribute to our scene.

In my opinion a soft-core gamer is the type of gamer that plays games casually?
But let us not cross hairs here. even a hard core gamer will play a game casually at times. But playing a game casually and being a casual soft-core gamer are entirely different things.

In my opinion a soft-core gamer is the kind of person that's happy to still be playing sega genesis, super nintendo and psone, because it a console they got given to them for free by a friend who has moved on to bigger and better things.

lets get one thing straight., A soft-core gamer isn't the kind of gamer who is browsing the forums for the latest video game news, because ultimately they really don't care what's on the horizon as long as they can play crash team racing or vegas strike when the mood hits them.

Truly the soft-core gamer is the quaker or the amish of the gaming community. way too far behind the times to fit in with the main streme society of average and hard core gamers. and too uninformed to really have a notion as to what a great game really is or should be.

Why is this rant even relevant you ask? Because nintendo is taking away the focus from we the hard core community, the very community that has kept the company from bankruptcy since day one in their electronic endeavors, and giving time focus and attention to people that would be just as happy playing a commodore 64 or an atari ..

Make no mistake the average soft core gamer can barely be called a gamer at all.
your mom or dad playing solitaire on the pc, that's the pinnacle of a soft-core gamer, the market nintendo is eager to please, while we the hardcore have to suffer through the indignity of Nintendo's titles not only being dripingly cutsie but also losing what little relevant game play those cutsie titles had in favor of games a hard core gamer wouldn't be caught dead playing.

The saddest part of it all is. as time has went by we hardcore gamers have stepped aside and made room for the soft-core. we welcomed them into our community.

In my opinion there is no place in gaming for the soft-core.
would you go to see a soft core hockey game?
what about a soft core boxing match?

hell why stop there! what about a soft core fighting game? where you execute a finishing move by repeatedly shaking the wiimote to smack your opponent with a pillow while in your night gown.. WOW sounds great sign me up for that!!. not!...:rofl:

So ultimately this rant is aimed at the soft-core gamers around the globe.

Get out of my forums, get out my community. Stop pretending to be something your not and find another hobby to occupy yore time. might I suggest stamp collecting.

*poof be gone, soft core panty waists.

Softcore gamers, I stab at the!

lmtlmt
March 9th, 2008, 08:29
wooohooo * slow clap*

quzar
March 9th, 2008, 11:44
That's bull. A hardcore gamer does not need the newest games, nor a large quantity of them. What defines a hardcore gamer from posers who simply buy everything they can is their dedication, will to play, and love of the games.

What sickens me is the people who do buy every new popular game, and play them, but do so as if it's their job. "Yea, that game? Oh it sucked, was boring, repetative, and poorly made, but the ending was the best part." So... why did you play it?

shadowprophet
March 9th, 2008, 12:44
That's bull. A hardcore gamer does not need the newest games, nor a large quantity of them. What defines a hardcore gamer from posers who simply buy everything they can is their dedication, will to play, and love of the games.

What sickens me is the people who do buy every new popular game, and play them, but do so as if it's their job. "Yea, that game? Oh it sucked, was boring, repetative, and poorly made, but the ending was the best part." So... why did you play it?

Who says someone needs to buy all the newest most popular games to be hard core. but certainly someone who doesnt even care enough about the hobby to keep up with whats going on in the gaming universe , is in no way hard core..
by my opinion, to be a hard core gamer, one must have a die hard interest in gaming. and someone who isnt keeping up with the scene simply does not quality..

No_one_in_particular
March 9th, 2008, 13:07
So hang on...are they then 'softcore' gamers if they don't have a 'die-hard' interest in gaming ? So you're only welcome to play games if you're ultra-****ing-obsessed in the world of gaming ? If I've got that right, I'm not even going to bother to explain to you how ridiculous that rant really is.

Why stop there ? If people don't listen to 10+ albums per day they can **** off if they think they can listen to music, right ?

shadowprophet
March 9th, 2008, 13:23
Somehow I believe people are missing the point of my rant. that being that nintendos new spirit journey to cater to soft core gamers is leaving nintendo fans with shit game that really no one wants to play. how people missed that point of my rant,. i dont know.

but the point is. passion is the key to being a hard core gamer. if you dont have a passion for gaming. then hell no your not a hard core gamer. period....

if you dont have a passion for music then youy not a hard core listener. the same goes with all hobbys. and I stand by that no matter how much a few people wont like it. this whole lets pull the soft core gamers in with shit games and betray the hard core gamer by forcing them to play said shit games. is runing the quality of gaming for everyone. never since the atari days where developes able to make complete shit what wouldnt even substitute for a good internet flash game, and put the on a consle and say its for the "casual gamer?' how does this shit fly with you guys.

And since when is it not okay to have an opinion in a rant thread?

No_one_in_particular
March 9th, 2008, 13:36
Somehow I believe people are missing the point of my rant. that being that nintendos new spirit journey to cater to soft core gamers is leaving nintendo fans with shit game that really no one wants to play.
Hmmmm (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95722)

but the point is. passion is the key to being a hard core gamer. if you dont have a passion for gaming. then hell no your not a hard core gamer. period....
Do these people claim to be hardcore gamers ? No, I don't think they do. Why that makes any difference to whether they should be able to play games, is what I don't get ?

if you dont have a passion for music then youy not a hard core listener. the same goes with all hobbys. and I stand by that no matter how much a few people wont like it.
Why wouldn't people like that ? You're stating the obvious. Any one who disagrees with that statement above is quite frankly a moron. You can't be hard-core without a passion for the thing.

And since when is it not okay to have an opinion in a rant thread?
Simply when you start stating your opinions as facts, for one. Since when is it not okay to disagree with an opinion anyway ?

shadowprophet
March 9th, 2008, 13:46
It's strange how people fail to see the humor in this rant thread. i was cartain everyone knew me well enough to know this entire thred was a joke. but seriously guy. you need to learn when someone is messing about. maybe it was the way I worded this thread. maybe it just didnt have enough humor in it to clue everyone in that this was just a run of the mill shadowprophet rant. however,

I assure you bro, this thread was intended to just be a thought provocative parody :rofl:

I do messed up rant thread like weird al, does mesed up songs. I just rant randomly on whatever is on my mind as the time and try to make it as edgy as I can. surely people arent gullible to believe someone who has been working at a homebrew scene for nearly three years has this hate vendetta aginst soft core gamers?

meh perhaps This rant. wasnt one of my best..

on on the flip side of things perhaps this rant was my most successful rant ever.

this is hilarious:rofl:

:thumbup:

No_one_in_particular
March 9th, 2008, 13:48
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Good for you !

It certainly makes a lot more sense...

jamotto
March 10th, 2008, 00:25
The Soft-core gamer is not destroying gaming, they are saving it.

shadowprophet
March 10th, 2008, 08:26
The Soft-core gamer is not destroying gaming, they are saving it. Thats an interesting point of view., the very same point of view I looking for with this rant.

please elaborate on this, How are soft core gamers saving the game industry?

I do feel, the quality of casual gaming. is lacking, at best. how are these soft core games helping the gaming community?

DPyro
March 10th, 2008, 15:16
They are only saving Nintendo :p

Triv1um
March 10th, 2008, 16:09

Indeed, no real gamers play Nintendo.

Novelty items (not a console flame, this is how i see nintendo consoles)

Accordion
March 10th, 2008, 16:16

SCE was doing great with casual market.

Only Nintendo had the arrogance to dedicate a entire system rather than a peripheral to those markets however.

JKKDARK
March 10th, 2008, 16:58
Casual gamers can become hardcore gamers, because they will look at other games and consoles.

dejkirkby
March 10th, 2008, 17:34

I am a real gamer, and I play Nintendo. Also Mario is widely regarded as one of the best gaming franchises ever.
Your comment fails and fails badly :p

Triv1um
March 10th, 2008, 19:39
Yeah, like i said. Its my opinion.

I personally think the Mario franchise is extremely over-rated, repetitive games.

None of them are different.

Constantly putting the name on games which they know are shit (mario and sonic)

Total crap, while you might not respect or agree with my opinion. I respect yours.

pibs
March 10th, 2008, 21:25
hell why stop there! what about a soft core fighting game? where you execute a finishing move by repeatedly shaking the wiimote to smack your opponent with a pillow while in your night gown.. WOW sounds great sign me up for that!!. not!...:rofl:

It already exist........ Capcom vs SNK 2EO its sadly easier than shaking the wiimote:p

A hardcore gamer in my book is someone who can pass Ghouls 'N Ghost without dying once hahaha(no cheats)

jamotto
March 11th, 2008, 04:21
please elaborate on this, How are soft core gamers saving the game industry?

Alright, well let me start by defining what is the difference between the two.

Hard-core gamers treat games more as a hobby. These gamers in my opinion are very brand or company loyal. They are the ones who will buy the "some game" 2002, 2003, 2004, etc. They are less likely to try new "radical" ideas in games, unless it happens to come from the brand that they are loyal to and doesn't shake things up too much. The Hard-core gamer I believe is also more likely see past the faults of a given piece of software or hardware and last but not least they think graphics > game play.

Soft-core gamers treat games just as a form of entertainment that could easily be replaced with something else, a book, TV, etc. These gamers are not in the least bit loyal to a specific brand or company. This group of gamers are more likely to try new "radical" ideas in games, Patapon etc. The Soft-core gamer is also likely to jump ship if something better happens along and finally they think game play > graphics.

The third group is simple a hybrid between the above two. The combinations are nearly endless.

Now, what has happened is hard-core gamers are in the decline there are only two hard-core gamers left and as a result it has caused something I like to call genre stagnation. If it's not a FPS or sports game it might as well not exist. The need for superior graphics has caused the cost to make the games and the hardware to run it to grow exponentially. At the rate we where going nobody would be able to afford the new games and consoles. Nintendo by targeting the soft-core gamer has brought in new gamers, more income and consequently the publishers are willing to take more risks in what games they publish. Heck, even EA king of IP squatting has recently announced they are bringing back old IP's that have not seen the light of day for more than a decade as well as completely new IP's.

quzar
March 11th, 2008, 04:23

There is quite a bit of flaw in that statement. If no real gamers play nintendo, how could you possibly evaluate wether the games are novelty or .. 'hardcore'? You're missing out on some amazing games. More for me I guess =P

It seems at some point that the term hardcore which may have referred to the gore/explicitness/sexuality of the content switched to means someone passionate. That is to say, many self purported hardcore gamers seem to think that if the game doesn't attacking people/things, or drugs/gunz/money/spinnurz then it's not a 'real' game.

So sad.

Kaiser
March 11th, 2008, 04:29

lol

Eviltaco64
March 21st, 2008, 19:52
Just because people arent as into games as others are doesnt mean they should be banished.

Hell, I hate using the term gamer, but, just this ONE time, I'll call myself....*drum roll....a retro gamer.

Sure, I have XBox 360, the time I played it most was when Halo 3 came out, and I really havent played it since. In fact, I play my original modded Xbox more. Why? Because I can enjoy a large variety of Media (♪, DivX, XviD, AVI, etc, etc), and I can play practically anything (except saturn) from the 70s to the the turn of the century on it (plus whatever games the console has to offer itself)!

The Xbox 360 has what to offer? Expensive games that I'll play 3 times? Multimedia that I have to buy? Online play that I have to buy and once I die, I get what? "OHHHH YOU GOT PWNED YOU FUKCIN NOOB I HAVE NO FRIENDS!!!". Then after I'm done for the night, I wake up to find it has the red rings of death (Shadowprophet, I believe you have had a similar experience)! I dont want to spend all my money on maintaining the damn thing!

I'll stick to my Xbox or my Sega Genesis (OR my NES!) and play enjoyable old school games like Mortal Kombat II and Sonic CD!

And if this means I'm a "soft-core" gamer, then so be it. You can have your side of the sandbox if you really need it. I'll go make out with some chick while the hard-core (a.k.a. manboys) can have their share of the market with their FPSs that will be "obsolete" in two months.

ShadowKnight
March 25th, 2008, 02:10
Don't stab at me Shades, I am back on Final Fantasy XI, so don't even. I still may not be "HardCore", but soft I am not.

tuddy
March 30th, 2008, 19:18
Don't really care about casual or "soft-core" gamers. Sure, I own a wii, but I don't care that for every "hardcore" game like NMH there are 10 "Minigames Party" games, or whatever. Hell, I'll admit I own games that'd be considered "softcore" (Zoo Keeper, Nintendogs, Brain Training, Bejeweled), they sit on my shelf next to "hardcore" titles such as Persona 3. I personally think there's no such thing as a "casual" gamer or a "hardcore" gamer; anybody who plays games, whatever they may be, and has fun is a gamer. I however DO think there're people ruining the fun of gaming with their constant "ZOMG, Causals are ruinan teh industry" bitching.

SnesR0X
April 3rd, 2008, 04:38
Well just to add my 2 cents, the reason we have gaming as a whole is because of Nintendo. They took the home market, as well as the arcades to the next level of advancement. Donkey Kong was the first game to have real memorable human characters, as well as a simple storyline. It also happens to be one of the most challenging games ever made. (For anyone who would think to disagree, have YOU ever gotten even close to finishing it? Don't think so (Unless you're Billy Mitchell or Steve Webe) )
Anyway, soft-core gamers can play their shit all they want, while I wish Nintendo went back to making more greats (they still are, but fewer so) but until then, they're is always more to play.

gdf
April 4th, 2008, 22:19
As much as I love you Shades, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. Casual gamers are almost the reverse, and you get different kinds of them, but they're happy playing pretty much anything other than the old consoles. They're the loads of people that bought PS2s and Wiis because of their mass appeal. Some casual gamers, mostly teenage boys that have passing interest in games, like to play things like Gears or COD4 online with their mates. I'd like to think of myself as pretty hardcore: I'm just as happy playing the Dreamcast, SNES, PS1 or N64 as the 360...

BustA.
April 4th, 2008, 23:41
A harcore gamer to me is someone who playes online PC games, has spent thousands of pounds on his pc and is in a an online gaming community..

soft core? (never heard that before btw) gamers to me are people that just play consoles now and again..

gdf
April 5th, 2008, 01:03
I hate the way PC elitists look down on console gaming. To be honest I think you're more hardcore if you can beat Ninja Gaiden on the hardest difficulty or can blast through Ikaruga without losing a life than you ever will be for playing too much Counter Strike.