PDA

View Full Version : ZIP drive hardware continuation?

Hso
August 22nd, 2005, 20:03
I was wondering if anyone(or group of people) plan to try and make their own zip-drive compatible with the DC?
i don't think we can rely on sega now ;P

Hso
August 22nd, 2005, 20:03
uh oh ! just noticed it was to the wrong section! damn you tabbed browsing! can someone boot this over to Hardware, please? XD

bender
August 22nd, 2005, 20:27
probably not. There was an official project from Sega for this that was canned. It was a zip drive that connected to the parallel port and put under the DC. Same for the dvd drive, i think. For the dvd we have the circuit for the ide <--> dc parallel interface, but the bios would be needed to modify for booting from that device and we'll need a driver for kos, i think ;-)

btw, i don't think there's any worth for zip support, much better an hd/dvd mod if possible

DreamDogg
August 23rd, 2005, 05:29
There's certainly alot of buzz in the forums about developing new peripherals.

An external ZIP drive, HD, or FlashMedia peripheral would be extremely liberating.

Perhaps these new peripherals will become cost-effective -- even profitable --- ventures for the engineers who develop them.

I'm optimistic that new peripherals will become possible as per-chip functionality increases, and per-chip costs decline over time.

ptr.exe
August 23rd, 2005, 10:01
Dreamdogg, you may be optimistic, but that won't make it happen, the official project was more than likely canned when they realised that it just wasnt going to work.

The HDD has been done hardware-wise but the software side of things has yet to be done, writing drivers for this would be difficult to say the least, not to mention no current h/b would be compatible.

Basically, there may be alot of talk, but there will be no homebrew storage peripheral.