PDA

View Full Version : Children Targeted through X-Box Live

wraggster
March 9th, 2008, 20:24
A Lansing mother was shocked after her two children were subjected to nude pictures on X-Box Live.

Michigan State Police say this disturbing crime should be a wake up call for parents.

Video games are meant to be a haven mostly targeted towards children but just like logging onto the Internet, state police say online games have become a magnet for sexual predators.

Detective Thomas Kish, Computer Crimes Unit: "Mom and dad don't ordinarily think that there's any danger in that and it is a potential danger and something that we all need to be concerned with."

Jennifer says her two sons were the latest victims to an Internet crime.

Thursday night while playing a game on X-Box Live, a video game that allows you to play against people anywhere in the world, they were exposed to nude pictures sent from someone on the other end.

Jennifer, Lansing Resident: "I immediately grabbed the X-Box controller from him, and I went ahead and turned it off. And then I went ahead and called X-Box live, and they told me there was nothing they could do about it. "

Jennifer now fears the safety of her children.

State police say a crime like this is exactly why parents should be aware of online video games.

Detective Thomas Kish: "X-Box Live in particular has video capability so you can see two-way video. It has the ability for text messaging, instant messaging back and fourth. The ability to receive voice messages, so it's as much of a medium as your home computer and parents need to really be aware of that."

And while Microsoft, the maker of X-Box, does give ways to deal with offensive players online, Jennifer says the damage to her children from this incident has already been done.

And she has banned her children from using X-Box Live to protect them from becoming prey to online predators.

http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp?S=7985534&nav=5D7v

JKKDARK
March 9th, 2008, 20:33
And she has banned her children from using X-Box Live to protect them from becoming prey to online predators.

LOL poor kids, I'm sure they will cry for a long time.

phsychokill
March 9th, 2008, 20:41
was wondering how long it would be before one of these stories apeared. the fact is young kids shouldnt be aloud on thing were they can comunicate with strangers without supervision its not like you would let your kid go out in the street and tell them to feel free to talk to any1 they see.

Dbgtgoten
March 9th, 2008, 23:04
NO WTF -__- what a stupid mom theres a freakin thing called parental controls dumb i swear in those things you can control your kids friends if they can receive msgs from just anyone or friends , you can also stop them from talking to just anyone only friends its so easy this is the thing that drives people insane being banned from something that you shouldn't be because theres proper protections installed YET SHE DOESN"T USE EM SHE BANS HER KIDS FROM IT -___- i really don't blame this for happening cause if she was stupid enough to not do parental controls shes stupid enough to actually put that person on chat with thier kids freakin stupid people nowadays i swear man theres a thing to block everything cept the online gameplay voices/mails/chats/videos and either make it noone or friends theres even a thing where parents can review the friends and put a code to add em so what is the problem lady! you're the problem -__- i am tired of things like this oh her kids are the victim its like that other bull excuse games cause murder thats not even true i believe its how the parents expose and react to video games with thier children in the end not what is exposed just who exposes them and talks to them about it -__- tired of these people:mad:

s1k0
March 10th, 2008, 07:34
same happened to me LMFAO i got into an arguement with a guy and he ended up sending me a picture of his arse:S

Ewan
March 10th, 2008, 15:31
theres a freakin thing called parental controls dumb i swear

Exactly, and that's the point being NOT talked about in the MainStream media. A - this mom obviously allowed her kids to have this product unsupervised, and then she's all up in arms because she didn't do the homework to make sure that it was secured properly.

I'm amazed at how much folks expect the Internet be "safe" for their kids to run around in unsupervised. Next they're going to put them into a tiger pen at the zoo while they go watch a movie.

Dbgtgoten
March 11th, 2008, 11:10
exactly microsoft didn't half ass the protection either you can protect against everything its just none of the parents use it so its like wtf its not xbox lives fault its your fault cause you didn't set the parental controls and you can't say oh my kid went on it cause it was free and this happened cause you had to pay out of your own damn pocket