PDA

View Full Version : An interesting take on the Revolution controller

wraggster
August 22nd, 2005, 23:50
Every three seconds a child is born, and every four seconds someone has a new idea as to what Nintendo’s next controller will be. We’ve heard them all, and we have seen thousands upon thousands of artist renditions - like the one pictured right - predicting Nintendo’s next business move. It is popular enough to be its own industry, frankly. Matthew Gallant of Computer Games Magazine has his own belief on the Revolution’s new feature, and although he probably has as much of an idea as the next guy (or girl), I think what he proposes is a pretty good idea, even if it’s not Nintendo’s big plan. His proposal is a combination of gyroscopes and the rumble technology to simulate “friction” when you move the controller too far out of range.

For example, say you are flying Star Fox’s Arwing and you pull up on the controller to fly upwards; you can’t exactly pull the controller over your head because a) it’s impossible in a real life star fighter (I am assuming) and b) because the controller will rumble more and more aggressively as you try. Another trick Nintendo could do, on the same plan, would be separate rumble machines on the left and right of the controller (e.g. if you scrape your car against the left railing of the road, the left side of your controller would shake).

Gallant makes a few more good points on why Nintendo would consider this technology revolutionary – if they could make a controller like this that didn’t drain batteries in a day or so, I’d be impressed myself. What do you think?

http://www.cgonline.com/content/view/1067/2/

Zherae
August 23rd, 2005, 01:01
Seems plausible.

sixtyten
August 24th, 2005, 03:07
Personally, I think that'd be pretty lame for all the fuss over the controller they've kicked up.

lockethevaliant
August 24th, 2005, 17:47
Personally, I want to know how Nintendo has "kicked up" their controller....

As far as I can remeber Nintendo hasn't said anything about it..and all these rumors have been started by people.

ziggy
August 25th, 2005, 10:56
Why should the controller work an batterie Power? Shouldn't it receive its power from the console itself?

sixtyten
August 27th, 2005, 08:50
Why should the controller work an batterie Power? Shouldn't it receive its power from the console itself?

Welcome to the wireless age! :D

The Revolution will be wireless. Can't send power through the air, so, gotta have batteries.

Cap'n 1time
August 27th, 2005, 18:03
Well this is the NiNtEnDo ReVoLuTiOn controller. So not only will it be able to transmit power from point A to point B, but it will also double as a UPS tha can power entire cities for weeks. Also it will come with its own handy dandy washing machine and drier for your convenience. It will be able to cook, clean, and entertain you all day!

Honestly.. im as big a fan of nintendo as anyone... but hyping a controller just seems like another really bad marketing scheme by the big N.

ziggy
August 29th, 2005, 12:24
oops! Yes, of course wireless. Very embarrassing.

ptr.exe
August 30th, 2005, 19:37
How have Nintendo hyped the controller? they have said nothing. All they have said is it will be differant, they have specified neither good nor bad.

Cap'n 1time
August 30th, 2005, 22:44
How have Nintendo hyped the controller? they have said nothing. All they have said is it will be differant, they have specified neither good nor bad.

Then why is everyone else hyping it? So your saying that they havnt specified its good, and yet they have said that it will be the new standard (I know i read that in this very forum in recent history) .

ptr.exe
August 30th, 2005, 23:09
Exactly. Everyone else is hyping it with speculation, Nintendo have said very little about it, they may have said it will be a new standard but that's a single comment, not exactly a huge amount of hype.

Cap'n 1time
August 30th, 2005, 23:22
Exactly. Everyone else is hyping it with speculation, Nintendo have said very little about it, they may have said it will be a new standard but that's a single comment, not exactly a huge amount of hype.

well its not the right thing to hype in my opinion. It handles the last for generation of nintendo consoles on its own people... AND ITS LEGAL THIS TIME TOO! thats somthing to be excited about imo.

ptr.exe
August 31st, 2005, 21:41
I totally agree, people are over-hyping the controller. I am interested in downloading monster-amounts of old games, although i could just get them for free via my PC.

Also, just heard Sega are supporting retro downloads, so possibly megadrive/saturn emulation?

Also there is undoubtedly gonna be a good homebrew scene with the USB and SD-Card slots, plus the emulation will be hacked.

Cap'n 1time
September 1st, 2005, 05:49
I totally agree, people are over-hyping the controller. I am interested in downloading monster-amounts of old games, although i could just get them for free via my PC.

Also, just heard Sega are supporting retro downloads, so possibly megadrive/saturn emulation?

Also there is undoubtedly gonna be a good homebrew scene with the USB and SD-Card slots, plus the emulation will be hacked.

hmmm... sega... one of nintendos biggest rivals in history (well, for a long time at least) having their system emulated on a nintendo machine.. if nintendo does that, i will not even concider another next gen console.

Also a thought on the emulation- since nintendo has the rights to all the source code in every one of these games... well.. they might concider simply porting it to their machine rather than emulating it.

Nintendo has probably been the most understanding to the homebrew scene, but emulation has always been a thorn in their side. and they arnt stupid either.. they know that whatever they come up with will be hacked and studied to shreads. just a thought.

ptr.exe
September 1st, 2005, 14:25
I was thinking the exact same thing, it seems more likely that these games will be ported rather than emulated, especially if there are non-Ninty systems.