PDA

View Full Version : SnesPSP_TYL 0.2 is Out!

goonjamin
August 23rd, 2005, 14:16
Hey,

Was just checking out Yoyofr's homepage and it's got an updated design (very nice) and best of all a new release!!

http://yoyofr.fr.st/

Can't wait to test this when I get home from work!!

laxer3a
August 23rd, 2005, 14:47
Hey guy, you were faster than us to create the new thread lol !!! :)
So as you can see it guys, enjoy !!!

BTW, good timing to announce that I got my ticket to france today.
mid-October is going to be the SUPER DINER time with all the team, yahoooo !

If you have request OR bug to talk about, please use the yoyo TYL official forum
(link from the yoyo site)

Thanks to everybody for using our emu.
Laxer3A

Griffith
August 23rd, 2005, 15:27
Very nice, too bad my PSP just gave it's last minutes of battery for today, I can't wait to get home and try this out.

Thanks for the quick input, I'll make an article on ForeverGeek about it.

*updated*

Here's the link ;)
http://forevergeek.com/psp/snespsp_tyl_v02_finally_released.php

Valiant
August 23rd, 2005, 15:41
I am so excited! Need to test this! OH MAN! Thanks for making this prepared for 1.5 users also! That is magnanimous

ganon
August 23rd, 2005, 15:41
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRAY

sorry too excited

parabolee
August 23rd, 2005, 16:00
Excellent!!!

Sounds like everything I wanted to be fixed/added has been done. This is pretty close to perfect now!

SmashinGit
August 23rd, 2005, 16:23
If you try using this with the old config file it will crash, so make sure you make a new folder or just delete it.

Zale1
August 23rd, 2005, 16:25
Awesome, just in time before school starts so I got something better to do than listen to be arrogant professors that think they know everything, but don't know shit other than teaching. Thank god for the TYL team!!!

Cap'n 1time
August 23rd, 2005, 16:29
nice, i got the blue screen of death for it ;) try dbz hyper demension to see what i mean.

Mario RPG runs pretty well with no smoothing, no sound, etc. But just like for the dreamcast, it is a little slowed down due to Mario RPG wanted to save to SRAM every time you enter a room, enter a battle, or exit a battle. A nice addition to the hack/debug menu would be turning off SRAM... At least i think that would work. Mario RPG is the only game i can think of that did this... But its an important game none the less.

parabolee
August 23rd, 2005, 17:05
Awesome-O, just tested it and it's better than ever.

Still has the border problem though. In Street Fighter Alpha 2 (which is supposed to be US version) I still get the borders when rendering PAL as NTSC on or off.

The new FULL CLIPPED option is awesome though, it works great with some games and often does a good job with games with the border, SF Alpha 2 still has a border at the top though and cuts out the super bar at the bottom. But Mortal Kombat 3 looks great with FULL CLIPPED, get's rid of the border and plays full screen aspect correct :)

All the games I tried seemed to be running smoother aswell, getting 60 FPS with 1 Frameskip on most games.

LOVE the new ZOOM WIDE option too, gives me more of the PSP screen but doesn't stretch it out too much. I use this for my default setting now and it looks great for most games.

Anyone recomend some good settings for Star Ocean??? I still get glitchy sounding voices and I would like to play this game at some point.

Maybe the next version could have the ability to share configs for each game, so we can be like here use this config for game X, works great for me like that :)

Really awesome work here guys!!

Probably send some more cash in your direction soon.

Gonna play some more and give more feedback later. I really should give Mario RPG a go as I never played that, but I have been waiting for an EMU that runs it well.

Valiant
August 23rd, 2005, 17:09
Yeah testing a few games, some of them (naming Super Mario RPG, Kirby Superstar) lagged a bit though run smoothly. I am truely impressed though how much the speed has increased for these two games...cannot wait till they run fully ^^, btw anyone checked ff6? Supposedly this one is faster

Hmm though star fox seems very slow still, but blah Rome wasnt built in a day :D

Paulmolive
August 23rd, 2005, 17:31
Can anyone confirm a turbo toggle instead of having to push the alanog nub to the right? That would make me very happy.

parabolee
August 23rd, 2005, 17:39
Yes TURBO now works as a TOGGLE! :)

laxer3a
August 23rd, 2005, 17:42
Stop playing romz using SuperFX, or other special FX chips... !!! :)

PSP in software is not powerfull enough to do so.
Even if we increase the way we do it, still we will never reach 60 fps with such games.

--- Other subject ---

Actually, I am reading the japanese and other board right now, many people are "complaining" like no changes or even going slower or whatever the ****...
If people want to start a war about the fact that Y is better or whatever bullshit, no problem !!!
We have all the bullet in our gun and Y got none !

I want to take the opportunity here to say that we are going to write a page called "What's your ****ing problem" and destroy every stupid argumentation about TYL.(Serious talk and its going to go technically deep if necessary !)

When we released our snes emu on gp32, we never had such bad feedback even performance were worse (CPU is only 133 mhz)

Stuff like "my game isnt full screen" when the original game IS NOT FULL SCREEN !!! Gee... give me a break !!!

Or complain about no change in FF6... ?
I think we speed up the rendering in town about a factor x2 !!!
Put a frameskip 0 and look at the intro... you can put a Vsync on it !!! Take Y or our first version and do it again...

In a few days, we will probably have also people complaining that the emu refuse to write to the memstick (read the doc why on the site) even if it is for their own sake !

People don't even understand 1/10th of the architecture of the snes or graphics chipset and they complain that WE ARE LYING to them ???

And this software is FREEWARE for godsake !
So all the "naysayer" give us a break.

We released only since 3 hours and we have people complaining everywhere...
The only things that kept our motivation up tonight (yoyo and I) is that some people did donate for the v0.1 which means that people are estimating what we did for them...

Laxer3A

Xarius
August 23rd, 2005, 18:17
Either I'm not seeing it, or there's no "reset rom" selection in this version...

Nice work on the release. I'm particularly happy about the stability and better assurance that my memcard won't fry ;)

laxer3a
August 23rd, 2005, 18:20
In the middle off the menu between Snapshot and Sound...

wraggster
August 23rd, 2005, 19:00
wow switching the 333 mhz option on and you realise that for a non hardware (the GPU info hasnt been sorted out yet) asisted emulator this runs bloody great, ive just played Mario Kart and Pilot wings and mario allstars and they work great :)

wraggster
August 23rd, 2005, 19:12
V0.2b Released

Quick Update to solve minor issues
[FIX] older ini file leading to crash.
[FIX] cpuclock not initialized at startup (need to access menu).
[FIX] low battery 10 seconds-long message not cleared after closing.
[FIX] some wrong timing (autosaving at launch instead of after n minutes, ...).

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/snespsp_tyl.shtml or the official site :) http://yoyofr92.free.fr/psp/snespsp.html

SmashinGit
August 23rd, 2005, 19:24
Its like a bus...........you wait 30 minutes for 1 and then 2 come along at the same time!! :)

kash
August 23rd, 2005, 19:30
great work on the emulator i love the speed but one thing, did you remove the option for using the joystick?

softgun
August 23rd, 2005, 19:36
Laxer, I can understand why you're exasperated - I never could understand why so many people WHINE about the emulators, complaining about every little thing. I'm just thankful that an emu that runs this well exists. I know people can report bugs and suggest improvements, but it sounds like idiot 12 year old punk ingrates just whine on and on about every little thing.

Once and for all, to all of you who are talking %@#$%, TYL doesn't owe you ANYTHING. Stop your bitching; it doesn't provide any motivation for TYL to go on and continue to put out good programs/EMU's. Based on Laxer's feedback that he's getting, most of you don't even know what the %$#@% you're talking about in the first place. I'm pretty sure most of the people complaining couldn't even write anything close to executable code.

parabolee
August 23rd, 2005, 19:52
Hey Laxer,

I didn't see any complaints on this board, are you talking about complaints on other boards only?

Because all I saw on this board was feedback and praise.

ataribob
August 23rd, 2005, 20:17
No problem to say.
If they ever add a cheat function like Game Genie or Game Shark like in UOs snes.
Then I would prob use it and call it better.
For now Uo Snes is still my number one

parabolee
August 23rd, 2005, 20:26
Nah I use both but TYL is WAY better, like in every way except the cheat codes. But who really wants to spoil the game with cheats ;)

Kaiser
August 23rd, 2005, 20:59
Man This is the second time two new versions of an emulator came out before I woke up. I really gotta stop going to bed at 4 in the morning. I woke up today at 1:45!Anyway awsome emulator. Best Snes and maybe even best compared to all other emulators. It runs MK3 ultimate and Contra III well so I'm happy.

Anyway I got a question would it be possible to emulate the Super FX to near perfect once the PSP's GPU has been figured out?

Paulmolive
August 23rd, 2005, 21:28
First off, thanks TYL. You guys are doing great and don't be discouraged by what the whiners are saying on those other sites. We all really appreciate your hard work.

Got a question. Now that you could import saves from Zsnes to this emu, would you be able to transfer saves from this emu to Zsnes? I was thinking that since there's no gg/par support yet that i could just transfer to the PC and use Zsnes to use the codes. I could then transfer back after I use any of the codes I wanted to use.

Griffith
August 23rd, 2005, 21:42
Please remember folks, that if you find any bugs go to their forum on Yoyo's homepage and report them there.

They will never be able to fix the mistakes if they don't hear about them and they're not going to check every PSP forum and scan each post to find them, so do your own contribution to the team and speak there ;)

As King Arthur said (and had written on the round table) "By helping each other we become free", ok so it's a little off context, but you get the picture :)

Cap'n 1time
August 23rd, 2005, 21:44
yah.. there arnt any complaints... what the hell are you talking about. perhapes your just tired, but the drama is never appreciated.

If it was pointed at me, i completely support the emulator, i just think that if SRAM were to be disabled, Mario RPG would run at a much greater pace. Of course, then we would have to rely on save states entirely for it.

As anyone that has run an snes emulator on DC knows, Mario RPG is constantly righting data to the SRAM. It runs fine with it disabled or enabled, however with SRAM active it continuously writes information to the VMU with the all too familiar *BEEP!* Mario RPG is the only rom i know that does this.

I think the ability to turn off SRAM in the hacks/debug menu would be a great addition to the next update. :) keep up the good work.

Meshyf
August 23rd, 2005, 22:03
I love this emu thanks guys!

EvilDragon
August 23rd, 2005, 22:37
If you try using this with the old config file it will crash, so make sure you make a new folder or just delete it.

It didn't only crash for me - it even destroyed the directory (with my 14 hour Star Ocean save file... geeeez!)

Be sure to backup your savegames!!!

yoyofr
August 23rd, 2005, 23:20
now you can use v0.2c which has the sram autosave feature disabled by default, and activable via the menu.
this will solve issues with big slowdowns & constant memstick access in Star Ocean or MarioRPG...

Psychondrius
August 24th, 2005, 00:12
(edit) I just noticed that Yoyo just posted his news, but...

Just released today:

SnesPSP TYL V0.2c
# Second quick update in a row, and should be the last one [NEW] autosave modified SRAM is now an option (can cause major slowdowns in some games).
# [NEW] reverted the directories name for V1.5 to standard KXploit since new names was causing issues on some PSP.

Get the new binary here:
http://yoyofr92.free.fr/psp/snespsp.html
Hosted SNESPSP TYL Page:
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/snespsp_tyl.shtml

Cap'n 1time
August 24th, 2005, 01:01
now you can use v0.2c which has the sram autosave feature disabled by default, and activable via the menu.
this will solve issues with big slowdowns & constant memstick access in Star Ocean or MarioRPG...

mmm whos the brilliant guy that came up with that again? oh yeah IT WAS ME :D

laxer3a
August 24th, 2005, 01:14
Hi guys, just woke up...

If you read correctly my previous post, the complains I saw where mainly from other boards, and I was especially refering to 2ch ,a japanese forum. I never said people complained here !!! :)

It is just that yoyo and I invested so much of our time to get release ASAP, and then what you got is not even whinning but complains (ok we know we are not perfect and they is a lot of improvment to do !!!) after a few hours is really stressfull.

Anyway guys, thanks for your support !!!
We will try to increase the quality so that everybody can get the best perf. for each game very easily.

Ok... a hard day at work now !!! :)

Martin
August 24th, 2005, 01:35
Looks great, keep up the good work. :)

wraggster
August 24th, 2005, 02:14
Hey i salute any coder because i dont posess the talent or goods to code emus and whatevers released i repect the hardwork that goes into it :)

Your emulator is excellent;)

Thanks for giving the PSP scene a big present ;)

dman32
August 24th, 2005, 02:54
what are the best settings for mario kart?

wraggster
August 24th, 2005, 03:04
use 333mhz and frameskip 1 or 2

works really decent then

SmashinGit
August 24th, 2005, 04:18
Thanks again laxer3a, your work really is appreciated.

dman32
August 24th, 2005, 04:21
what about the acceleration thing...like psp accelerated or software accurate..what setting is best for mario kart?

laxer3a
August 24th, 2005, 05:20
Hi,

For mario kart, I would suggest (I dont have the PSP right here, so I do it from memory) (you should try) :
- Remove the audio (completly, may not work on some games)
- Setup the clock to 333 Mhz

Then PSP + Approx for the rendering mode. Or may be better in some cases, full Software Approx mode.
(In games using fully mode 7, it may be faster to be full software)

Then go into the debug menu and setup Fast Mode7 : On, then
disable transparency...

Normally I get 59 / 61 fps with FZero at FrameSkip ZERO.
The rendering is a bit different from the original (no gradation on screen)

EDIT :
I just did the test with the emu on a PSP available from a guy at work.
I cannot get more than 45/46 fps at frameskip zero with Mario Kart.
I bet mario kart is really sucking more power than FZero then...
Well I believe I need to find a way to increase the mode7 rendering by 33% ! :D (take this sentence as a form of humor !!!)

For the moment the "fast mode7" using no transparency got us a 15% increase in the best case. Even if I rewrite the mode7 in assembly I dont think I can get 33% more :(
So it seems that even if I do a full assembly rewrite of the mode7 routines, we can hope a merely 10 to 15% again which should bring
Mario Kart at 50 / 51 fps...

Hum... That's sucks. I will rethink my strategy about mode7 :)

See you.

Smiths
August 24th, 2005, 06:27
Hum... That's sucks. I will rethink my strategy about mode7 :)

Map it on a poly! :)

Well honestly I guess we can hope at some point for a hardware function native to the PSP to be able to be used for Mode7.

If I recall, didn't the Final Fantasy Anthology for PSX have problems with the Mode7 scaling on the world map?

It was also a function that was removed from the WonderSwan Color FFIV (made the world map look like this weird funky planar thing).

I just like saying "Map it on a poly".... sounds like fun.

Keep it up and good job

laxer3a
August 24th, 2005, 07:20
He he he... :-) Sounds good !!! But only virtually.:D

The problem is you can't map it on a poly...
We have, of course, thought about it.;)

This would work only for games like Actraiser, Pilot wing on the parachute scene and so on.(=You have only one A,B,C,D transformation 2D matrix per frame)

You could then create a 512x512 texture in VRAM and then display the texture on a poly :)

The problem in game like FZero or Mario kart is that you take a 2D poly, do a rotation, DRAW ONE LINE OF THE POLY, do a new rotation, DRAW ONE LINE OF THE POLY...x200 lines. Software is just simply faster :-)

But yes, for simple zoom, pure 2D rotation (like the first boss of mario, or the second boss of axelay), this is a possible option.

If you actually notice, using the PSP hardware has just increased our rendering speed by 2 or 3 max. for stuff that were very heavy in software and without useless rendering.(=add/sub)

But, I dont think drawing the same poly clipped at each line of the rendering buffer 224 times is really a good idea :-)

I also spare you here the problems of map repeat, tile repeat or fixed color used in mode 7 (=whats happen when you draw outside of a map ??? Do you loop the map ? Use a special tile ? These are modes that are all possible to be setup in the Snes chipset.)

So to be honnest on the graphic side, I don't think we can expect a lot of increase except some rewriting in assembly and in the software mode7 logic.
All the other rendering have all been passed to hardware.

Mode7 is going to stay software for a while (probably some deeper look at the algorithm, and may be some assembly tuning).
Then may be a PURE 2D mode7 in hardware.

But I dont think it is possible to do more :P

Now if we implement the pure2D hardware mode, it will be VERY EASY to test the rendering per scanline in hard and see the result. But theorytically speaking, from start it does not seems a good idea to us.

ganon
August 24th, 2005, 13:01
Gogo Team Tyl

buffy_lover
August 24th, 2005, 13:11
I absolutely love this emulator but i'm having a problem with some roms loading up. Super metroid and mario rpg freeze or something. In super metroid its right after the nintendo sign pops up, the screen just goes balck and absolutely nothing happens. In mario rpg, its just after the title screen and exactly the same thing happens - darkness. Any help would be much appreciated because i really want to play these games.

goonjamin
August 24th, 2005, 15:35
Hey Laxer3a, On your board Yoyofr mentioned that you were working on using the media engine for sound emulation and that it looked promising ;) Just curious how that's going (included in .3 maybe?) and what kind of result you think it will have on performance?

I read a bit over at ps2dev about the media engine but am not really clear about how it works. It sounded like it is just a seperate processor but can you use both media engine and main cpu all at the same time? :D

laxer3a
August 24th, 2005, 16:02
Hi...

About the ME (Media Engine), it is a second MIPS r4000 processor (if I am correct).

The only difference is :
- This cpu can not access VRAM (from what is said on ps2dev forum from other tester)
- This cpu run at the bus frequ. (as an ex. the main cpu run at 333 Mhz while the ME run at 166 Mhz)
- This cpu can not do system call (as said by people on the dev forum)

The main problem is :
A - Snes APU and Snes CPU are closely emulated (= run instruction of each chip one after the other).
---> As a result nearly impossible to separate completly the cpu and apu on each processor in a generic manner.
---> May be possible technically to run the ME chip as a complete Snes APU accepting risk of freezing game in the emu. (Ex. Axelay would not run at all)

This could lead to a "special" solution for lets say half of the games that would work with it and put a great push in performance.

- If you accept to seperate the CPU+APU on the main psp cpu and the sample generation (=audio data for the psp) on the ME, then you have problem of having some emulator memory that need to be shared between the main cpu and the ME. So the code run with UNCACHED data for some stuff.
Result :
I did some limited test (not sure of the quality of the test I run) and got mario fall from 105 -> 75 fps (but still simulated everthing on one cpu)

I also manage to have a small C programm to use the ME based on the forum example to understand the ME...

So this is something we are of course thinking about, but this research stuff takes a lot of time !!!
I managed to tune the mode7 in 5 hours... and I spent roughly 3 days on the ME since the beginning of this project (the double actually but it was not time put efficiently at use). As you can see, I was so pissed off that Yoyo wrote all the code of the first version so I decided to do some usefull (=usable right away) tuning just before we release the 0.2

I also spent time 2 month ago about making a JIT for the Snes emu and just gave up the idea for the moment...

So for the moment I continue to look at the optimize of the mode7 and finish it before going back to the ME stuff.

I dont know about yoyo... We are thinking about Netplay and ME as next optimisation, BUT PLEASE DONT SAY ITS GOING TO BE SOON or IN THE NEXT RELEASE... Leave the time to people to look for the answer they need.
Coding that stuff is not easy (I mean it is not SO hard, but I have a job, yoyo too)

I take on my sleeping time to do this snes stuff actually :)

Again, thanks everybody for their warm support !!!

goonjamin
August 24th, 2005, 16:33
Thanks for taking the time to reply! :)

Sounds like you guys have a lot of cool stuff in the works. I was really just curious about close it was to working :D No worries about expecting anything I know that everything will be done when it's done and really there is no rush, 0.2 for the couple hours I played with it last night is plenty awesome already!

Thanks again for everything!

parabolee
August 24th, 2005, 17:54
I have a good idea that you may want to consider.

How about having config files in the next build with the best setups you've found for the tougher games. For example you could take them right of your own PSP's and put them in the zip file so we could run them as the default settigns for those games and we can then change them ourselfs to our own preference. i'm sure you guys know when is the best time to use Mode 7 fast mode and other speed hacks that we don't think of. For instance using Mode 7 only with approx software.

So people trying out the EMU for the first time (or even just the first time with this update) will see what is possible on games like Mario Kart, Mario RPG, Star Ocean etc.

What do you think Laxer and Yoyo?

buffy_lover
August 24th, 2005, 18:22
I worked out what was wrong. Once i put the sound on it started working, this is quite a big problem. Has anyone else had it or is it just my psp.

laxer3a
August 24th, 2005, 18:40
Parabolee, this is what the save by profile is for.

Actually if you take a look, you may find that the profile file are UNIQUE ID per rom files.(we dont use the rom name here for each game profile)

If you do a setup for FZero, it will save it so you can share your FZero profile whatever the rom name you are using is...(think about it as a unique identifier )

So just give your FZero profile and everybody can start to share a collection of profile independant from your rom naming. (The ID is based on the CRC of the cartridge emulated).

You can find the name of the game inside the .ini in /profile.

Example :

/profiles/snes9xTYL_AA0E31DE.ini --> my FZero Setup
MyFZeroRom.SMC

and somebody else got :
FZero (U). SMC

It will work... But care that it is working for the same release !!!
I mean a japanese FZero and a US FZero rom have different checksum...
May be we need a "Import profile" feature in the emu, where you can browse the source game of it...

But basically, the goal overtime is to have the whole community sharing a whole bunch of "ready to roll" nice setup.

That you can just unzip in your profile folder and thats it ! :)

parabolee
August 24th, 2005, 19:51
Yeah this is basically what I figured.

After I posted the idea I realised that unless the roms names were the same it would not recognise the profile. But an import function would work great. The official website should have a section for people to upload/download profile setups with information on how it runs and what it is the side effects.

That would be cool.

Valiant
August 24th, 2005, 20:18
Amazing, 2.0c definitely does have changes with the option to remove sram. Incredible! Super Mario RPG works VERY well without sound, 333mhz, auto frame skip. Fantastic! Kirby Superstar also seems...much faster ^^ (333 mhz, no frame skip, no sound...35 fpm ^^) also same with Kirby Dreamland 3! Yay! Though strangely star ocean didnt have a problem...I ran it in full speed with sound at version 1

parabolee
August 24th, 2005, 20:36
My Star Ocean has glitches with the speach (has since .01). I ma using the English translation hack though. Could that be the problem?

What version are you using Valiant?

d00gie h0wser md
August 25th, 2005, 00:34
yeah it's great but i really miss the function to switch between the digital and analog controllers

hontis
August 25th, 2005, 05:43
Am I the only person who can't get this to work?

All I get is a blackscreen and then I had to restart the psp.

I got snes9xTYL-0.1a to work on my system 1.5 psp - and really want to upgrade - I've tried the 1.5 converted snes9xTYL-0.2c and snes9xTYL-0.2b and all they do is crash my psp...

Some one out there please help - do I have to delete something in my memorystick.

criptix
August 25th, 2005, 06:29
yeah it's great but i really miss the function to switch between the digital and analog controllers

Its still there you just have to do a little more button toggling sheesh.

Go down to redifine controls and make the adjustments for d-pad and analog and your set...

ffrocks
August 26th, 2005, 04:02
this is gona sound dumb but i am new to all of this and every time i try to load the game my psp says this game can not be loaded my psp is version 1.5

ravebo
August 26th, 2005, 19:20
Is anyone else having problems with Final Fantasy 2/4 crashing near the end of the mist cave(or any other area in the game)? Or is that just a bad copy of the rom? Thanks for all the effort and work put into this emu.

Valiant
August 26th, 2005, 20:34
My Star Ocean has glitches with the speach (has since .01). I ma using the English translation hack though. Could that be the problem?

What version are you using Valiant?

Star Ocean (J) [T+Eng1.0_DeJap], this one seems to work perfectly for me. Though speeches work well in my game

Valiant
August 26th, 2005, 20:35
opps double post XD.

ataribob
August 27th, 2005, 04:24
Mystic Ark
Is the only translated RPG that will not boot on any system ?

jordo
August 27th, 2005, 10:10
Hey guy's i live in Australia so i dont get my PSP for 5 days :mad: just wondering how does this emu compare to say Snes station on ps2 with speed sound and compatability

ataribob
August 27th, 2005, 18:24
ask that same question in 5 days when you get your PSP.
If it has the Firmware 1.50 or lower.
If's its higher than 1.50 you can forget the question on any emu for now.
Both snes emulators run great

pkmusicmaker
September 4th, 2005, 09:43
I was wondering if anyone else has been slightly dissapointed in the SNES emulators. My Genesis emulator (DGEN) seems to run much smoother. Does anyone know the reason for this? I always thought that Genesis and SNES were very similar systems. Anyway, if anyone knows some information on this subject, I'd appreciate it being cleared up.

laxer3a
September 4th, 2005, 17:09
Hi !!! My point may look biased because we release TYL but...

The megadrive graphic chipset IS 10x TIMES EASIER TO EMULATE !!!!
Try to find :

- Mosaic mode ? None on Megadrive.
- Mode 7 (2d matrix texture transform PER scanline) ? None on Megadrive
- Add/Sub blending per pixel ? None on megadrive
- 256 colors at the same time ? Not sure... I think it is 64 colors out of 32768.
(well does not impact emulation speed on psp but, may impact the way the emulator is done)
- 4 BG ? 1 or 2 BG on megadrive I believe...
- And finally the system of priority like a Z buffer ?
- Changes of register per scanline ? I dont even remember having seen color rasters on a megadrive :-)

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Sega-Genesis
(Bottom of the page)

Compared with this :
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Snes
(Bottom of the page)

If you read well between the line, the PERSCANLINE is very important.
It makes the complexity of the emu increase 10 fold !

Play a game like Axelay of even FF6 to see that it is clearly impossible for the megadrive to reach such graphical quality.

To be honnest, the megadrive hardware is childplay compare to the Snes hardware.

The only problem for megadrive emu then is the CPU.

Because in a Snes, the main cpu run between 1.7 and 3.7 Mhz if I am correct,
inside the megadrive it is a motorola 68000 and I believe the speed is 8Mhz
which may suck all your power for emulation.
In average a snes instruction takes around 5 cycles to execute.
Which means that the emulation has to emulate around 0.4 to 0.8 millions instruction per sec to have full speed.

In the 68000, instruction takes a little bit more cycle I believe but you have somehow 6x times more cycles to emulate.
Instruction decoding also may be a little bit harder than the Snes cpu (68hc816) opcodes.

On the audio side, I also believe that the FM chip is inferior to the one in the Snes.(from what I could remember playing both)
The snes has 8 voices with digital sampling, mixing and echo...

Hope this answers well, why the Snes emu is slow, and why the Megadrive emu should never be slow :)

pkmusicmaker
September 4th, 2005, 22:39
Thanks a lot, that was a much better response than I expected, I appreciate it. Keep up the good work guys!

ganon
September 4th, 2005, 23:56
SO is Y gonna be involved in the next release?

laxer3a
September 5th, 2005, 01:52
Learn to read between the lines on our site... :D

- Y will have access to the source code before anybody else (=the current version).
- If Y do modify the code, then it will be integrated in the emu and proper credit will be given.

Does that mean NEXT version ? Nope.
Does that mean that he WILL do it ? Nope.

:D It is funny to read the different boards and compare to what we said on our forum. Now I understand how stories are becoming legend. How lies are becoming truth and the opposite ;)

ganon
September 5th, 2005, 13:07
So he has not obtained the source yet?

Cap'n 1time
September 5th, 2005, 15:43
... you think he'll call it TYLY?

laxer3a
September 5th, 2005, 18:36
Hi,

No, Y dont have the latest version of the code, he is too busy with his work for the moment anyway and asked me to send it to him (= latest version at this time) when he will have some more free time (probably within some weeks)

As he stated on his web site, he will slow down on emus anyway, because he is busy with his job. :)

Now, actually I dont have the latest version of the source neither you know :)
Because every member is working on different parts, there is no real latest version until we decide to merge the code.

For info, just to make you salivate a bit...
I managed to get the mode7 to run quite fast on the FF6 map.(WHEN NO ROTATION ONLY... = Character mode, not with the airship (or fzero like))
So you should be a big boost in perf for the next release for all the mode7 WITHOUT rotation in games !!! :)

84 fps when disactivating completly sound and putting all the tuning option on !!! Roughly 200% speed compare to the original Snes9x implementation. (+- =uosnes9x)

I told you, I was taking another approach :D
But no way to speed up mario kart for the moment, sorry guys.

Still, I have some problems and when I tune some other parts, this one fall to 80 fps. (5% down...) So I have to continue to play a bit...
I believe I can keep this 84 fps score while optimising the other parts.

But dont dream guys, the 0.2C has already quite a good tuning for the mode7 if you activate the good options, and I dont think I will get more than +1 FPS from the 0.2C to 0.3 for general mode7 (= free rotation)

But mode7 with no rotation should give you a 25% to 30% increase in the next version if you setup correctly the rendering compare to 0.2C

Laxer3A

Mr.Modem
September 5th, 2005, 18:50
This is great, hope you release the next version soon!

ganon
September 6th, 2005, 00:39
Thanks 4 the updat :)

pkmusicmaker
September 26th, 2005, 09:05
Am I the only one anxiously awaiting the next release of this emu? I'm not saying it's taking too long, I just really can't wait to see an upgrade.

F34R
September 26th, 2005, 12:24
I am patiently awaiting any releases for all emus, especially this one.

ultros
September 26th, 2005, 13:43
i guess, yoyo (and the team) is just making "big" updates. he always was some kind of perfectionist and in the past he didn't make updates for every little new implemented thing.
i remember laxer3a said something that the next release will be technically much improved and this maybe takes some time.

but i am waiting for this one, too. of course... :rolleyes:

laxer3a
September 27th, 2005, 04:14
Hi,

Yes, we are still working on it.
I would like to avoid writing the same thing twice :D

Please read here :
http://yoyofr.proboards44.com/index.cgi?board=snes9xtyl&action=display&thread=1127540281

See you.
Bye bye.

ganon
September 27th, 2005, 12:55
So no y :(
Well now to look forward to mid October :)

ddblue
October 3rd, 2005, 06:13
I'm using snes9xTYL on the PSP and ZSNES on my PC. I wanted to bring a savestate from the PSP to my PC, but I wasn't sure what to do. I copied the entire emu save directory from my PSP and tried loading the ROM (which did have the same name) and restoring the state, but it didn't work. I can't seem to find information about this anywhere else, and I wasn't sure where else to post my question... if anybody has an answer for me, or can tell me where I can find more info on this particular subject, please let me know!

megaman0
October 7th, 2005, 07:15
can some one tell me how to install this i keep on getting a corrupted data notice it's on a European(Dutch) PSP and it's version 2.0

PSP_Newbie
October 7th, 2005, 07:30
homebrew doesnt work on a 2.00, and thats all you would have gotten, but recently they released a 2.00 to 1.5 downgrader!!! lucky you, search for the downgrader on this site, read up on a guide or two, and then do it if you are sure you want to.

PSP_Newbie
October 7th, 2005, 07:31
I'm using snes9xTYL on the PSP and ZSNES on my PC. I wanted to bring a savestate from the PSP to my PC, but I wasn't sure what to do. I copied the entire emu save directory from my PSP and tried loading the ROM (which did have the same name) and restoring the state, but it didn't work. I can't seem to find information about this anywhere else, and I wasn't sure where else to post my question... if anybody has an answer for me, or can tell me where I can find more info on this particular subject, please let me know!
im pretty sure state saves are emulator-specific, so you are going to have to transfer an sram save(in-game save) which i think are the same for all emulators

megaman0
October 7th, 2005, 07:37
are there any 2.0 Emulators? for any system?

Valiant
October 7th, 2005, 09:14
pssh of course not, downgrade you doofus! (If you want it that much that is ^^)

megaman0
October 7th, 2005, 14:34
i understand that but still i am afraid it will bust it up......

ataribob
October 7th, 2005, 16:38
The latest Downgrade so far has not bricked any PSP yet.
http://www.sonyxteam.com/

Follow the instructions and you will not regret it

Rybotnik
October 13th, 2005, 06:57
yoyo's sited no worky

3elevenX
October 14th, 2005, 07:16
Must have had issues, works fine for me

Fanjita
October 14th, 2005, 19:13
are there any 2.0 Emulators? for any system?

I'm working on getting the v2.0 EBOOT loader (http://www.fanjita.org/psp.html) to support some of the popular emulators, wherever it's possible.

So far, the only emulator confirmed as working is the Sega Master System / Game Gear emulator, although it looks like NesterJ won't be too much work to fix up too.

Can't comment on other emus, I haven't looked at them yet.

rasaq
October 16th, 2005, 08:08
how do u get into the menu

Penguin Knight
October 17th, 2005, 20:57
Ok I have a question, is this emulator just really laggy or is something wrong with my PSP, I tried play Megaman X3 and Chrono Trigger and everything was like really slow, took me around 20 minutes to get through first stage of MMX3 when normally takes me around 10....can someone clarify and/or help me

geise69
October 19th, 2005, 12:57
first of all i think chrono trigger and the megaman X games run slower because of a 2nd processor or chip that needs to be emulated. With that said you can probably speed things up a bit by going to the options menu (press the analog stick to the left). Make sure it's on 333mhz, audio on 22hz, mode 7 speed hack is on, frame skip to probably 2 for chrono trigger. Mess with the other hacks to see if you can get any better results. Most emulators on a slow machine like a psp require alot of tweaking. However you can always save your settings so you never have to do it again.

ganon
October 19th, 2005, 16:25
So hows the progress coming along?

pkmusicmaker
October 28th, 2005, 15:34
Has anyone gotten Mario RPG to work? Mine goes blank after the main screen. I can't get to the New Game/Load Game screen.

UPDATE: I imported a saved state of the Load screen, and it worked. That's all I've come up with though. The strange thing was there was no writing on the screen. Runs really jumpy though, I'll have to wait for a new release of the emulator to want to play it on my psp.

ultros
October 28th, 2005, 15:58
@pkmusicmaker:
as already said dozens of times before: this game will never run perfect, because it uses the FX-chip.
don't give any hopes that these SNES high-end games like Super Mario RPG, Starwing/Starfox, Mario kart, etc. will run as good as the normal SNES games.

pkmusicmaker
October 28th, 2005, 19:20
@pkmusicmaker:
as already said dozens of times before: this game will never run perfect, because it uses the FX-chip.
don't give any hopes that these SNES high-end games like Super Mario RPG, Starwing/Starfox, Mario kart, etc. will run as good as the normal SNES games.

Would have been a good response had the attitude been left out.

pkmusicmaker
October 31st, 2005, 23:55
I hope the next release is amazing, they sure seem to be taking enough time to do it.

pkmusicmaker
November 4th, 2005, 14:04
Anyone having trouble geting Super Metroid to work?

ganon
November 4th, 2005, 18:16
whats the problem? Might be a bad dump

pkmusicmaker
November 4th, 2005, 19:50
whats the problem? Might be a bad dump

It doesnt go past the "Nintendo" screen. So i saved the state after that screen and it worked fine until I lost and it froze again. Should I just download another copy of the game? It worked fine on ZSNES.

*o*
November 4th, 2005, 22:20
try getting another copy of teh game

Raz
November 13th, 2005, 00:13
This sounds dumb, but where do i put the SNES roms after i install snes9xTYL? It starts up fine, but doesnt see any ROMS when the menu comes up, no matter where I put them. I go to the folder and nothing...empty. Anyone know whats up? I have firmware 1.5

ataribob
November 13th, 2005, 02:24
This sounds dumb, but where do i put the SNES roms after i install snes9xTYL? It starts up fine, but doesnt see any ROMS when the menu comes up, no matter where I put them. I go to the folder and nothing...empty. Anyone know whats up? I have firmware 1.5

In the s9xTYL (folder)
make a folder called ROMS

then put in any game with the extension of .smc

Markrulz17
November 13th, 2005, 22:47
megaman x2 dont work wtf

michael chan
November 13th, 2005, 23:32
nice! i play doom at a better fps!

lovetoplay
November 14th, 2005, 01:37
finally i can play snes on my psp Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ganon
November 14th, 2005, 18:11
Hey Laxer3A are you guys still working on this? I thought there was gonna be a release in the middle of last month?

pkmusicmaker
November 23rd, 2005, 10:28
Yeah what's goin on? At least let us know if we should hold our breath for it.

plungmonies
November 23rd, 2005, 11:08
check out his forum on his site. he spoke about a new release yesterday.

Valiant
November 23rd, 2005, 21:40
oh I hope there will be speed enhancements...though I recall him saying that this release wont concern speed.

Apoklepz
November 27th, 2005, 06:44
To the coders...Great frikkin work...I've never been so happy since I first got laid!!! Heh, I sound a little overly-excited, but anyways...heres a thought.
Somebody mentioned that there is still a visible black area when playing some of the games, namely SF Alpha 2, Out of this world, and a whole bunch more. I know one of you guys already mentioned that not all games were made to be fullscreen...a great example of this would be the same black bar that was present in the top of the screen while playing Street Fighter 2 on the original SNES console...So I figured, If it's not too much to ask...could you make a screen paning option possible for any of the screen modes? You know, the type of thing that would let you move the center of the screen ratio in any direction you wanted up & down, left and right, and have it stay were you wanted. Like for example, take Street Fighter Alpha 2 and use the full clipped screen setting and combine it with NTSC on. The Sprites look really close to their normal size, but you can't see the whole screen, & by this I mean the power meter, & also the black bar is at the top as it normally would be(this only happens when playing the game, not during the intro,so it's normal). But why not make it dissapear? I'm sure you guys could make the screen go up a bit on command, & make it stay there...Anyways it's just an idea that you could think about for a couple of minutes. This emu is the reason why I bought a PSP before they even existed. Much thanks & respect to all you guys & your magnificent work. Apoklepz out.

mr_mutwil
February 4th, 2006, 12:06
Have you guys noticed that it is most of the time impossible to punch up+left or up+right using the keypad, when playing most of the homebrew games? This can be bypassed using the analog stick, which works prefectly, but it is then really hard to ex. throw 3 fireskulls with Shang Tsung (back,back, forward, forward) or do a dragonpunch with Ryu:)