PDA

View Full Version : Arstechnica: Apple TV vs. the Xbox 360

wraggster
March 11th, 2008, 22:12
Previously, I looked at the Apple TV in isolation, to see how it fits as a digital hub. Apple isn't the only company that wants to have its device at the center of your home entertainment though, nor the only ones who want its storefront to be the one you use to download TV and movies. So in this next installment, I shall compare the Apple TV to what I think will be its closest rival, the Microsoft Xbox 360. Yes, you read that right. I am going to compare a game console with the Apple TV, but the comparison is not as far fetched as you might think. Both have storefronts where you can download TV episodes and movies. Both will rent you content in both HD and SD, and both will let you stream your own media through them to your TV and speakers.

Why the Apple TV is better:
* Cheaper than the Xbox 360
* Cheaper HD rentals
* Less restrictive licensing
* Build quality
* Better integration with the iTunes store
* Silent running
* Small form factor

Why the Xbox 360 is better:
* Lots of features when combined with Vista Windows Media Center
* Better picture quality (at the expense of file size)
* Plays games
* DVD drive (and the option of HD DVD)
* Includes cables

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/apple-tv-vs-xbox-360.ars/1

Elven6
March 11th, 2008, 22:45
The 360 content is also capable of prodcuing true HD content, comparable to those released on HD DVD and Blu Ray discs, at 720p of course.

More info on it here:

http://segafanclub.blogspot.com/2008/02/format-war-over-now-what.html

Harshboy
March 12th, 2008, 00:27
Honestly my vote would go with an Apple TV, but since I already have a 360 Elite and a Vista Machine (With Media Center) I don't think I would ever buy an Apple TV.

I already own a Macbook, and one mac costs enough.

pibs
March 12th, 2008, 00:34
Haven't seen Apple TV yet but the 360 Marketplace is solid and jam packed with media already. If apple does a good job creating a great environment kinda like itunes then it will be a fierce competitor.

ish420ism
March 12th, 2008, 00:46
My zune connected to my tv along with wireless sinc, makes a nice streaming player. Though, it's no HD setup.

Video_freak
March 12th, 2008, 00:48
Honestly my vote would go with an Apple TV, but since I already have a 360 Elite and a Vista Machine (With Media Center) I don't think I would ever buy an Apple TV.

I already own a Macbook, and one mac costs enough.

For everyone with this type of setup (Windows Vista with Media Center or Windows XP Media Center Edition, I highly recommend this WebGuide app (http://www.asciiexpress.com/webguide/). It lets you set recording times for your shows, and even lets you stream videos and live TV from your computer remotely from anywhere around the world (as long as you have an internet connection). Great piece of software.

My vote also goes for Apple TV, except the price makes me want to be on the Media Center side, especially with WebGuide. Never mind, my vote goes to Media Center after all. :D