PDA

View Full Version : God of War II director leaves Sony

Shrygue
March 12th, 2008, 18:47
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=184527)

The God of War II director, Cory Barlog, will be packing up his troubles in an old kit bag and smiling when he leaves Sony Computer Entertainment. He's gone and teamed up with Australian film writer and director George Miller (Babe, The Witches of Eastwick and Mad Max) to work on something 'videogame related'.

In an interview with Level Up, Barlog touched upon why he's leaving SCEA: "For me, the last straw was Eric Williams, who for all intents and purposes for me was always like an AD [assistant director]; like a second director almost. He's a very technical combat guy.

"Me and him basically built Kratos on God of War I. We established all the bosses; the way that the whole game felt; what God of War's gameplay from a navigation, combat and platforming perspective felt like. And having lost him on III, that was a defining moment for me to go."

About his upcoming collabneration with George Miller, Barlog said, "When I met with him, the interaction was like two storytellers getting together, in the way that both of us were able to relate to various subjects. He has a game knowledge. While he may not be a hardcore gamer, he has a game knowledge, and he comes from an angle that I'm very passionate about.

"I don't really want to make casual games or games with no sort of story backbone or character backbone. Our conversations, they kind of were all over the map, but they went to the heart of so many things as opposed to being kind of like, 'Hey, so what do you like?' and 'What do you like?' It was detailed conversations about character interactions and the way that each of our industries can kind of push things further."

Level Up will be revealed more on the project tomorrow. Hit the link above for the interview and stay tuned...

JKKDARK
March 12th, 2008, 22:24
It is amazing news for me, an important person left Sony. I wish he will join on Microsoft later :)