PDA

View Full Version : PSPHacker in trouble?

p4ch3c0
August 24th, 2005, 03:01
Copied from psphacks.net (http://www.psphacks.net/content/view/341/2/):

August 23, 2005 - PSPupdates.com, has today been issued a cease and desist letter from Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) claiming the site has violated copyright licenses and shares and distributes illegal software for the PlayStation Portable.

SCEA maintains that PSPupdates.com has breached copyright laws by hosting and distributing illegal copies of PSP games, as well as applications which are used to load and play the pirated copies. They also claim that PSPupdates.com is distributing illegal emulators which allow PSP owners to play games from other gaming consoles such as early Nintendo and Sega systems.

Sony issues this as a warning to PSP sites that host, promote, distribute, or share these types of software, and threatens immediate legal action against PSPupdates.com if the offending files are not removed by August 25.

PSPupdates.com is flabbergasted at this move by SCEA claiming that their site is not currently and has never in the past hosted any illegal files, and is operating within the laws of copyright infringement and software distribution.

The American company which runs PSPupdates.com, Content Holdings LLC, is surprised at Sony's recent persistent attacks at websites and companies that help promote the sales of their products.

"The lawsuits against online retailers such as Lik-Sang really surprised us, but Sony coming blatantly at a legitimate fan site such as PSPupdates.com with outrageous claims of piracy is just ludicrous, especially when we have been loudly and publicly anti-piracy and host no illegal files," stated one of the owners of the site.

"As of now, we will not be taking our site down, nor will we be making any changes whatsoever. We believe we have the support, evidence, and the means to fight Sony on this. We are totally and completely within the law. Legal homebrew console emulation, development, and hacking have been around for decades with no incidents like this."

How ironic... :eek:

wraggster
August 24th, 2005, 03:31
im not sure this is legit

i got the same letter

xuphorz
August 24th, 2005, 05:12
you got the same letter? like word for word the same?
if so, it might be a fake

p4ch3c0
August 24th, 2005, 07:53
im not sure this is legit

i got the same letter
Can you please post it?

wraggster
August 24th, 2005, 08:44
i mean i got the same letter that was sent to psphacks about psphacker

i reckon its fake tbh

Cap'n 1time
August 24th, 2005, 18:50
1. Emulators cant be illegal as long as
2. They use free legal SDK's and
3. Follow the license agreement of that Development Kit but also
4. Dont pack illegal files with their program.

So if this is real, you have no worries.

As for the iso launchers... they they are pretty much illegal. But as we dont host em here this is completely clean.

phOny
September 9th, 2005, 09:44
Im not sure its fake you know... i had a mapper friend who got a similar letter regarding his maps form ID Games because 1 of them had a texture from quake 3... :rolleyes: