PDA

View Full Version : stuck button/don't clean your psp with alcohol/ help? i might open it up

indstr
August 24th, 2005, 15:42
:confused: i JUST got my psp 2 days ago used on ebay in great condition, firmware 1.50. i decided to clean it off with rubbing alcohol. BAD idea. it worked fine for the first 30 minutes or so but then some of the buttons started wigging out. eventually most of them came back to life, but there is one that is still permanently short-circuited, which is the select button. it's been like this for about 36 hours now without showing any signs of improvement.

i have been told to take a damp toothbrush and use it around the button.. tried that several times and it doesn't work. i have taken a can of compressed air and blown into the button from the outside, and also in the buttons general vicinity from the inside (through the UMD slot). nothing has worked.

i have decided that the only solution is to open up my psp and see what's going on and possibly take that button completely off if i have to (i don't care if it doesn't work at all, just as long as it's not shorting out, because right now i can't do anything because when i try to map keys in emulators, it assigns select to everything). i tried to open it with a really small flathead screwdriver but i can't get enough torque, so i'm going to buy a phillips head tonight.

does anyone have any ideas on why the button might be stuck and anything else i can do to fix it? hopefully when i get in there i can just scrape off some corrosion or jiggle the membrane a little bit and it will be back to normal...... hopefully :confused:

Jpdeathblade
August 25th, 2005, 14:16
i use rubbing alcahal every week (from the day i bought it that was the first day in the us) and i never got this. mabey its the guy who sold it to you

indstr
August 25th, 2005, 19:11
i successfully opened it up and got the button to stop sticking. i sprayed some canned air under the plastic membrane of the select button (it's weird how it's layed out, hard to explain unless you've seen it) and now it works perfectly

:D

my friend's dad told me about a special kind of alcohol that is supposed to clean electronics without corroding them

johnc1234
March 24th, 2007, 21:14
thanx for helping me. i had a sticky square button, used a damp tooth brush method and it seems to have worked :D. man im never gonna consume a fizzy drink by my psp again :D.