PDA

View Full Version : Lone Wolf DS 1.0

wraggster
March 13th, 2008, 22:41
Updated version of LoneWolfDS (http://www.projectaon.org/staff/frederic/index.php) Released, heres the details:

This project has begun as a way to learn how to program on the Nintendo DS. After seeing how the DS was used vertically as a book by some famous games, I thought it would be really cool to have some old gamebooks converted on this system.

Unfortunately, due to copyright issues, it was not really easy to find good contents to use as a working base. Then I found the Project Aon site, which offered many books from the award-winning Lone Wolf series, fully converted to HTML by some loving fans.

For those who didn't know about Gamebooks, they were novels which had a nice success during the 80's, and which were allowing the readers to choose their own path by jumping from one numbered section to another, in a fun and interactive way. They were introducing the concepts of inventory, enemies fights, random dice results, and other nice ideas which were the precursors of what we find today in role playing video games.
The philosophy behind the port of the Lone Wolf books to the DS is to let the console handle all the rules related to combats, stats and so on, so the player can be really immersed in the story and doesn't need to bother with the gameplay elements.

For now, only the first volume of the series, called "Flight From The Dark", is available. If people show enough interest in this first book, other volumes will be ported too. So if you find a bug, have a suggestion, or simply want to contact me, please feel free to write to lonewolfds<at>free.fr (replace the "<at>" by the "@" symbol). Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

theoriginalsteve
March 14th, 2008, 10:37
That is truly amazing! I was a big fan of Fighting fantasy books years ago, but never played any of the Lone Wolf series. I can see why it is so popular, and you have done an excellent job of bringing it to the DS!

koko731
March 14th, 2008, 19:30
It's the best homebrew game I've ever seen. I love this. Good job!

M1FF1N
March 15th, 2008, 17:44
This is very impressive. Lol i already died :( please do more.

nigolon
March 18th, 2008, 06:21
I get stuck on the last Game Rules page. I'm assuming that I am supposed to be able to switch screens with the 'left button', is that right?...because I can't find any way to continue the game from this point. All I can do is flip pages and look at the map.
Am I the only one having this problem?

D.S.Darkness
March 20th, 2008, 17:06
I LOVE IT. ive played a lot of homebrews but this one is by far my favorite so far. I beat the first one rather quickly and i would love to play through some more.

PLZ MAKE MORE xD

Michoko
March 22nd, 2008, 17:22
Hi!

A new version (1.1) is now available, and should fix the compatibility problems with M3 Real and G6 linkers (and maybe others!).

Changelog:
2008/03/22: Version 1.1
- LoneWolfDS should now work properly on M3 Real and G6 linkers (many thanks to all the testers!)
- Fixed a small issue on section #33 were gold was not increased properly.

Have fun! :)
Michoko

jaybud4
March 27th, 2008, 02:39
Already beat it, but it was awesome. Can't wait for book 2.