royale
March 15th, 2008, 02:42
Here is the change log for this new release:

added a cache on the memory stick
allows offline browsing of maps in the cache
added a configuration file
added options to disable disk cache and transition effects
added an error image when view is not available
better zoom level (thanks to elefas for the tip)

http://royale.zerezo.com/psp/psp-maps.png

So the most important upgrade is the possibility to browse offline the maps you have previously opened with the wifi :thumbup:
The cache is currently set to 1000 tiles, which should be enough for most people.

You can download this new version and source on my website: http://royale.zerezo.com/psp/

Thanks to all your comments/suggestions on my previous releases.

royale
March 15th, 2008, 02:46
Just a quick comment about one of the request I received a lot: geocoding (enter an address and get directly to the good location, like Google Maps does).
I agree this would be great, but a Google Maps API key is needed for this, and obviously I cannot include mine in the source code.
So this would require each user to sign-up on Google Maps developer website to get his own key, and copy it in a configuration file.
Do you think its too complicated? Does it worth the development?

deniska
March 15th, 2008, 02:57
Actually, 1000 tiles constitutes a pretty small map.. I have maps of 2 mil tiles and more..
The problem with caching tiles as separate files is that it has a huge overhead in FAT (slightly better with FAT32) - the FAT entry sometimes is greater than the actual file..
You may want to consider some format similar to GPSFS that we made up for mapThis! (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Map_This!) Feel free to re-use the code (it's available with every major mapThis distribution..

deniska
March 15th, 2008, 03:05
Just a quick comment about one of the request I received a lot: geocoding (enter an address and get directly to the good location, like Google Maps does).
I agree this would be great, but a Google Maps API key is needed for this, and obviously I cannot include mine in the source code.
So this would require each user to sign-up on Google Maps developer website to get his own key, and copy it in a configuration file.
Do you think its too complicated? Does it worth the development?

You can do local geocoding/reverse geocoding against tiger line data (US).. there is some data for canada too.. then there are some google maps hacks, etc.. you may want to check with in7ane

royale
March 15th, 2008, 03:16
Actually, 1000 tiles constitutes a pretty small map.. I have maps of 2 mil tiles and more..

Ok, I have visited quite a lot of places with my PSP and did not reach yet the 1000 tiles, but I am sure some people will ;)
BTW, it can be changed easily in the source code.
I just choose a value not to big, since it already means about 30~40 MB of data on the memory stick, and I understand everybody does not have much free space.
In the next release, I want to allow people to configure this too.

The problem with caching tiles as separate files is that it has a huge overhead in FAT (slightly better with FAT32) - the FAT entry sometimes is greater than the actual file..
You may want to consider some format similar to GPSFS that we made up for mapThis! (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Map_This!) Feel free to re-use the code (it's available with every major mapThis distribution..

Thanks for the suggestion!
My issue was to store tiles of different size in a flat file, this is why I choose the easy way (I file per tile).
But I will have a look at your implementation, and if I can reuse it I will :)

royale
March 15th, 2008, 03:18
You can do local geocoding/reverse geocoding against tiger line data (US).. there is some data for canada too.. then there are some google maps hacks, etc.. you may want to check with in7ane

Ok, thanks for these additional inputs too.
I am more familiar with the Google Maps API, since I used it on several other projects, and I know it is accurate, even for France.
But if I can use some other free database that would be better (no action for the user).

bmanic
March 15th, 2008, 11:02
Awesome!! Thanks for implementing the cache. This makes your Google Maps program the most accessible for quickly browsing an area of interest over wi-fi, before actually traveling to that location!

Just Perfect!!

Cheers!
bManic

ps. please consider making the cache size user settable tho. 4gb memory stick here.. :)

elefas
March 15th, 2008, 12:41
Another great release! I am going to test it right now. Keep it up!!!

P.S. I' am glad that I have helped a little bit.

hokk
March 15th, 2008, 16:33
Splendid! :thumbup:

toto
March 16th, 2008, 02:55
The cache is a great addition, now it's possible to find our way in an area without wifi if we prepare the cache before!
How about the possibility to change dynamically the quantity of memory used by the cache? How about a list of favorite places to go to directly that we can customize? like "Add the current place to favorite". Would also be nice to have a special "itinerary cache" in which we can save manually a few checkpoints of the itinerary that we plan to follow. "Add the current place to itenerary".

anteopimp
March 16th, 2008, 03:40
this is sweet, still works on slim 3.90 :P