PDA

View Full Version : 3.52 m33-4 to ?

Cloud_Strife369
March 17th, 2008, 20:34
So I've got a fat psp running 3.52 m33-4 and I'm thinking about upgrading. I haven't been doing so up to this point because what I care about most is running ps1 games and emulation with 1.50 kernel, and my current fw is just fine for that. However, I think it's been long enough and it may be time to upgrade, so I now have to make a decision.

The problem is, when I go searching for new cfw, I can never find a complete picture of the positives and negatives of the prospective cfws out there (I've heard a lot about unstable 1.50 kernels?). So basically what I want is for someone that keeps up to date on this stuff to explain to me which one I should get (w/links) keeping in mind that I want a very, VERY stable cfw for ps1 games with fully functional 1.50 kernel for emulation, and to play the occasional psp game on.

Thanx in advance

EDIT: I'm also considering getting an 8gb stick, and I remember something about the firmware needing to be able to recognize it. Is this right? And if so, will my current fw recognize one, or do I NEED to upgrade if I get one

No_one_in_particular
March 18th, 2008, 02:46
I'm also umming an ahhing over whether I should upgrade, as I too am using 3.52-4. So from what I've read, here's what I'm thinking from 3.52-4 to 3.90-2:

Positives:
-More options/compatibility for pops (PSX emulation)
-Can play newer UMD's
-Can update to the newest M33 firmware by using the Network Update in XMB
-More options in Recovery
-Go!Messenger (you'd have Skype too if you had a Slim)
-Sony's internet radio
-Use themes, without having to mess with flash
-More visualizations in XMB's music player.
-Dark_Alex's released 8GB patches which now apparently make them compatible. They're a bit of a pain in the arse with 3.52-4; all 1.5 homebrew has to be loaded on first to work properly, meaning if you're ever wanting to install a new 1.5 app, you'll have to back up and format, and then re-transfer the entire contents. I've also had issues with plugins.

Negatives:
-You're now having to install the 1.5 kernal separately. I haven't actually heard any complaints of it not working properly, mind.
-Sony ****ed up one of their memory stick drivers, and whilst D_A's released several patches to fix this, I remember people still reporting slow downs.
-Less compatibility with IRshell, if you use it.

I've bolded what I think are the majors.

Cloud_Strife369
March 18th, 2008, 03:58
so wait, I CAN use an 8gb stick in 3.90-2 like I use my 4gb in 3.52-4?

And what's up with the 1.50 kernel extension? Is it stable?

What fw are new psp games requiring nowadays? The last one I tried was Smackdown Vs Raw 08 and it didn't want to upgrade my fw. I do want to play God Of War now, but haven't tried it yet; is it necessary to upgrade fw for new psp games yet?

Also, I'm seeing some topics about compatability issues with ps1 game sin pops that ran fine on previous versions. Is this an issue?

I really appreciate your reply and the information you gave. I hope we can get these questions answered too.

No_one_in_particular
March 18th, 2008, 17:58
It was 4am here when I replied to your post, so I missed some stuff in your post. I also forgot these:

Positive:
-Can now play music whilst viewing photos in the XMB

Negative:
-There's some issues with sleep-mode, I think. Where it won't resume properly, and turn itself off. I'm not sure if this is common, or whether it's been fixed.
-I think I read the music.prx has stopped working on the later firmwares; I'm not sure, so don't quote me on that.

From what I've seen the various patches for 3.80 & 3.90 firmwares mean they too are very stable. Besides, if you make yourself a Pandora battery you can always go back to 1.5 and then back up to 3.52-4, if you don't like it as much.

so wait, I CAN use an 8gb stick in 3.90-2 like I use my 4gb in 3.52-4?
Yeh, apparently. I haven't tried yet though.

And what's up with the 1.50 kernel extension? Is it stable?
I don't really know why the 1.50 kernel's become separated, but it's been in the last couple of firmware releases, so I'm guessing it works fine.

What fw are new psp games requiring nowadays? The last one I tried was Smackdown Vs Raw 08 and it didn't want to upgrade my fw. I do want to play God Of War now, but haven't tried it yet; is it necessary to upgrade fw for new psp games yet?
Only with certain games, I'm not actually sure about how many need you to upgrade your firmware; I remember the Echochrome demo needed you to be on 3.90, but that might've just been a one-off.

Also, I'm seeing some topics about compatability issues with ps1 game sin pops that ran fine on previous versions. Is this an issue?
Again, I'll let someone else answer this properly, but I was under the impression the pops compatibility will only increase, as you can select which of the previous pops prx's you need.