PDA

View Full Version : Review: ZAGG invisibleSHIELD PSP Slim Lite

bandit
March 17th, 2008, 22:15
ZAGG invisibleSHIELD PSP Slim Lite
Manufacturer: invisibleSHIELD
Site: Buy from invisibleSHIELD (http://www.invisibleshield.com/game-system/sony/psp-slim.php)
Price: $19.95 (full body coverage); $9.95 (screen coverage)

http://www.invisibleshield.com/images/products/SONPSPSLF.jpg

Overview : Your search for a(n) Sony PSP Slim case, skin, or cover is now over. The invisibleSHIELD™ is an exceptionally clear and virtually indestructible film that will protect your PSP Slim from unsightly scratches. Our exclusive nano-memory™ technology (http://www.invisibleshield.com/faq/index.php#nano_memory) covers and shields your device, keeping it as pristine as the day you took it out of the box.

The precision pre-cut invisibleSHIELD applies directly to your PSP Slim, providing the toughest, most durable protection you will find. The invisibleSHIELD has its origins in the military, where it was used to protect high-speed helicopter blades from dust, dirt and debris. Now you can use that same powerful technology to protect your PSP Slim.

The invisibleSHIELD is only .2 millimeters thick making it the slimmest PSP Slim skin or PSP Slim cover of its kind. It is so tough that we back it with a lifetime guarantee. So, if it ever does wear or scratch, we will replace it for free, for the life of your device. And if you ever need to remove the invisibleSHIELD, no problem; it comes off clean and leaves no sticky residue.

If you're still not convinced, check out our demo video (http://www.invisibleshield.com/movie/index.php) and see for yourself how strong the invisibleSHIELD™ really is.

Features:

Scratch Proof
Lifetime Guarantee
No added bulk
Improves grip
Invisible protection

Quality/Usability : With the new release of a smaller and slimmer PSP, I had to jump on it. I loved the original PSP and with the new PSP being slimmer and lighter, it also came in different colors other than black. Granted, the original PSP had black and white (Japan only). In the US, you have black and silver.

Having owned the phat silver DS, I was afraid that the silver PSP my succumb to the same paint chipping. So to protect my investment, thats where invisibleSHIELD comes in. You've probably have either heard of invisibleSHIELD or seen some form of their advertisement such as key scratching ipod, pen trying to go through invisibleSHIELD. They protect everything from your precious iPods, to cellphones to cameras and even your Macbook (http://reviews.dcemu.co.uk/review-zagg-invisibleshield-macbook-97048.html).

invisibleSHIELD comes in a cardboard box. The box opens up like a tri-fold wallet/folder. On the left side pocket, it holds the invisibleSHIELD (3 sheets) and generic instructions on a piece of paper. The middle also contains generic instructions but printed on the box. The right side holds the squeegee at the top and SHEILDspray at the bottom. The SHIELDspray is just plain water.

I've installed numerous DecalGirl (http://www.myreferer.com/mydb/?M=decalgirl&ID=chino&L=5) skins on consoles and they were easy. Even if you messed up, peeling and reapplying was easy. So applying the invisibleSHIELD should be an easy walk through the park. Considering the size of the pieces, installation is fairly simple. First, I started off with the front faceplate. They suggest washing your hands so that your fingerprints arent all over the sticky side of the invisibleSHIELD. Next, spray your fingerstips with the SHIELDspray (its basically regular water) and peel the invisibleSHIELD off the paper backing. Once peeled off, hold the invisibleSHIELD in your hands with the adhesive side up. Lightly spray the front (instructions states to spray back also, why? I dont know) of the invisibleSHIELD. DO NOT spray on the PSP itself. Once you have applied water to the invisibleSHIELD. Apply it to your PSP and slide it into place. I lightly sprayed water onto the invisibleSHIELD as there are crevices on the PSP that I do not want water going into. Use the squeegee to push the excess moisture and bubbles away from the center and any openings to the edges. You have to becareful around the buttons, speakers and any open areas. The screen was easy to apply since the faceplate invisibleSHIELD is already in place.

The back contains 4 pieces. One for each side, UMD door and inner circle (PSP logo). I did not use water for this as the pieces were smaller and easier to apply.

Since I'm a perfectionist and a bit anal when it comes to things like this, I didnt have to do much re-adjusting unlike the Macbook invisibleSHIELD (http://reviews.dcemu.co.uk/review-zagg-invisibleshield-macbook-97048.html). Do remember that when you're peeling the invisibleSHIELD off, the invisibleSHIELD can stretch making it bigger than its suppose to be.

Conclusion : Overall, the ZAGG invisibleSHIELD PSP Slim Lite protected the PSP very well. It covered all of the front and back. The full coverage will cost you $19.95 and the screen only costs $9.95. I personally prefer HORI screen protectors as clings on by static, easy to clean/apply and costs half as much. Although the instructions are generic and the same for all their products, the process is all the same just shaped differently. just But those afraid of getting their PSP scratched should check out invisibleSHIELD.

The Lifetime Guarantee (http://www.invisibleshield.com/guarantee/index.php) unfortunately only covers the product. They claim its scratch resistant, so if it scratches, they'll replace it. If you mess up, thats user/installer error.

The invisibleSHIELD™ purchase includes a lifetime replacement guarantee. We want you to feel safe and secure when investing in your digital life, and are confident that the invisibleSHIELD™ is the strongest and most durable protection you will find. Purchasing an invisibleSHIELD™ will protect your investment for the life of your device.

The lifetime replacement guarantee is simply what it says. If your invisibleSHIELD™ ever becomes scratched, torn or damaged in any way while protecting your device, we will replace the invisibleSHIELD™ for free, for life.

Images via comments

acn010
March 17th, 2008, 22:21
i heard such plastic it is awsome... gonna get it also for my phone.... thanks for the info bandit

DarthPaul
March 17th, 2008, 22:55
Mine. :eek:

Godsmyles
March 17th, 2008, 23:13
been out for awhile =) i've had mine for months lawl.

The backing is the new part I believe. Mine didn't come with backing =(

Nikolaos
March 18th, 2008, 01:11
I will buy one when I have spare money.

mike_jmg
March 18th, 2008, 02:43
Is it really that good as they claim, I might get one since I've always wanted to be able to just throw my psp in my pocket without any worries or any added thickness, and compared to this thing crystal case seems bulky

Maybe I'll try it out, with the psp slim I'm planning to buy... in june haha :p (yeah that one)

edit: wait a sec, this thing wont protect it from a free fall, I'll have to re-think about crystal case.... but meh, there's plenty of time

bandit
March 18th, 2008, 03:24
Is it really that good as they claim, I might get one since I've always wanted to be able to just throw my psp in my pocket without any worries or any added thickness, and compared to this thing crystal case seems bulky

Maybe I'll try it out, with the psp slim I'm planning to buy... in june haha :p (yeah that one)

edit: wait a sec, this thing wont protect it from a free fall, I'll have to re-think about crystal case.... but meh, there's plenty of time
This prevents scratches...not the drop of death.

bah
March 18th, 2008, 04:13
Are people keeping their PSPs in a bag along with their sandpaper collection or something? :)

I've had mine since 05 and just keeping it in its PGP case and only wiping the screen with a soft cloth has kept it scratch free. It's rolled around on the floor/under the seat of my car with the beach sand and other dirt plenty of times.

bandit
March 18th, 2008, 04:16
Are people keeping their PSPs in a bag along with their sandpaper collection or something? :)

I've had mine since 05 and just keeping it in its PGP case and only wiping the screen with a soft cloth has kept it scratch free. It's rolled around on the floor/under the seat of my car with the beach sand and other dirt plenty of times.
Not everyone likes having cases due to its bulky size. Some just rather have the PSP and just puts it in their pants with loose change, keys or just tosses it into their bag with pens or whatever else.

bah
March 18th, 2008, 04:39
Fair enough, personally the PSP (slim or fat) by itself is too bulky for me to pocket.

On a different note, if applied well can you see it at all?
I know invisible is a marketing term and not to be taken literally, and that most of these skin things don't effect the visibility of the screen too much, but can you honestly not notice it in any way?

I've always gone down the case when not in use path as I cant stand even the slightest detraction from the look of the screen.

Personal preference, I know.

Veskgar
March 18th, 2008, 07:00
I made the mistake of putting my iPod in my pocket for a run and it scuffed the screen up pretty bad. I'm pretty nuts over protecting my Slim PSP. I keep it in a small zip-lock sandwich bag when its not in use, LOL.

That is my biggest complaint with the PSP though. Its portable but you need to be damn careful with it if you want it to stay pristine.

danknugz
March 18th, 2008, 12:17
slim scratches so easily that this kind of this should come pre-installed on every psp. as it is, installing the full shell is a major pain in the ass with NO psp -exclusive instrucions , just a generic guide for any device. most of those are just screen only, the full psp cover has 8 or 9 pieces, with lost of corners.it says lifetime quarentee withis why i bought it, but does that include installer error? if i had a do-over i could get it right i think, but theres bubble all over the screen area, its really annoying. and it does tend to slide a bit in "high traffic" areas, like where my thumbs rest. good product overall, the parts i got on correctly, look awesome, and i like the grippyness it adds to the unit, its not forever sliding off things now. deffinately reccomended, but they need better instructions!

bandit
March 18th, 2008, 15:19
Fair enough, personally the PSP (slim or fat) by itself is too bulky for me to pocket.

On a different note, if applied well can you see it at all?
I know invisible is a marketing term and not to be taken literally, and that most of these skin things don't effect the visibility of the screen too much, but can you honestly not notice it in any way?

I've always gone down the case when not in use path as I cant stand even the slightest detraction from the look of the screen.

Personal preference, I know.
I dont notice it. Considering I cleaned off the system first. Once the water dries, it shouldnt be noticeable.

slim scratches so easily that this kind of this should come pre-installed on every psp. as it is, installing the full shell is a major pain in the ass with NO psp -exclusive instrucions , just a generic guide for any device. most of those are just screen only, the full psp cover has 8 or 9 pieces, with lost of corners.it says lifetime quarentee withis why i bought it, but does that include installer error? if i had a do-over i could get it right i think, but theres bubble all over the screen area, its really annoying. and it does tend to slide a bit in "high traffic" areas, like where my thumbs rest. good product overall, the parts i got on correctly, look awesome, and i like the grippyness it adds to the unit, its not forever sliding off things now. deffinately reccomended, but they need better instructions!
I do agree that it only comes with generic instructions. Theres no 8 or 9 pieces. One big piece for the front, one piece for screen, four pieces for back. Thats 6.

Lifetime Guarantee only covers if the item scratches since they claim that it is unscratchable. If you mess up, thats not their problem...thats user/installer error.

I dont know how it slides considering its sticky at the bottom and once the water dries, it sticks to the system. Did you even order the same product?

danknugz
March 18th, 2008, 23:39
yes, its the invisible shield by zagg, the whole thing, i got it when it was "half" off a couple months ago, but then it was $25 reg. i guess they just droped the price.
i admit, that i was used error, in that there were almost NOT instructions to speak of.
and there were 7 pieces. the back ones were easy, but the front frame part statically curled into a ball the second it came off the card, and wadded all up. i had a really hard time applying it after than, i dont know why they bothered to make the screen and outer part 2 separate pieces, .
i wasnt saying the product is bad, infact, i said it should come preinstalled on EVERY psp, it really is that good. just needs better instruction.
oh, but it IS sliding on the thin parts next to the home keys, and never quite stuck on one corner, so its forever coming up.very annoying!

bah
March 19th, 2008, 08:01
I doubt its impervious to the scratching ability of my friend Mr scalpel. If something is sharp enough and there's enough pressure it will cut though. Sand can cut supprisingly well.
I'm just playing devils advocate here, I know.

danknugz: for all those reasons and more, I live with the added bulk of a good case.
The screen isn't going to get scratched when I play it.

bandit
March 19th, 2008, 15:50
I doubt its impervious to the scratching ability of my friend Mr scalpel. If something is sharp enough and there's enough pressure it will cut though. Sand can cut supprisingly well.
I'm just playing devils advocate here, I know.

danknugz: for all those reasons and more, I live with the added bulk of a good case.
The screen isn't going to get scratched when I play it.
Actually...they have an image of a pen trying to penetrate the invisibleSHIELD and nothing went through. I tried using a box cutter for the Macbook invisibleSHIELD because it was stuck together and I couldnt cut it.