PDA

View Full Version : Im Tired of this...

ninja9393
March 18th, 2008, 23:54
I am really tired of windows bullsh**. I Want to get rid of XP for a lot of reasons

Ok I have a few questions

- What's The Best Linux?
- Can I run firefox, VLC player, iTunes, and Photoshop Cs3, Sony Vegas on there?
- Is it all free
- will it run better on windows on a slow computer (my Computer is somewhat crap)

Thanks!

Triv1um
March 19th, 2008, 00:03
1. Ubuntu

2. Firefox = Yes...
VLC player = Yes, there is a linux version
Itunes = No
CS3 = No, but Photoshop 7 is compatable though WINE or Crossover Pro. None of the CS run.
Sony Vegas = Ive looked into it, looks like no. But there are alternatives (although not as good)

I just recommend dual booting.

JKKDARK
March 19th, 2008, 00:04
No, you can't run the awesome Firefox on a OS like Linux.

Please don't leave XP, don't leave the best OS available :(

Triv1um
March 19th, 2008, 00:06
No, you can't run the awesome Firefox on a OS like Linux.

Is that a joke? Its pre-loaded with Ubuntu.

Or did you mean, he just can't? Because its against the rules of the JKK?

ninja9393
March 19th, 2008, 00:09
1. Ubuntu

2. Firefox = Yes...
VLC player = Yes, there is a linux version
Itunes = No
CS3 = No, but Photoshop 7 is compatable though WINE or Crossover Pro. None of the CS run.
Sony Vegas = Ive looked into it, looks like no. But there are alternatives (although not as good)

I just recommend dual booting.

How would i do that,

is there a tutorial

EDIT: what about Adobe Premire, would that work?

Triv1um
March 19th, 2008, 00:14
http://www.howtoforge.com/dual_boot_windows_xp_vista_ubuntu_feisty

Below the XP Installation part ;)

ninja9393
March 19th, 2008, 00:17
Thanks for the help

BTW, nice sig

Triv1um
March 19th, 2008, 00:21
No problem, and sorry i did see your edit.

Adobe Premiere apparently doesnt work.

And yes, its all free.

yes, ubuntu will run very fast.

===

And thanks :)

splodger15
March 19th, 2008, 12:51
For Itunes and your Ipod

Amorak media player and GTKPod

JKKDARK
March 19th, 2008, 15:06
Weeks ago i went to a Microsoft shop and the seller told me Linux is like Windows 95. I don't know, but since the guy knew about these stuff, I thought he was right.

DPyro
March 19th, 2008, 15:24
http://xubuntu.org

Weeks ago i went to a Microsoft shop and the seller told me Linux is like Windows 95. I don't know, but since the guy knew about these stuff, I thought he was right.

Ya, we should all listen to people working for Microsoft.

the_eternal_dark
March 19th, 2008, 18:15
I am really tired of windows bullsh**. I Want to get rid of XP for a lot of reasons

Ok I have a few questions

- What's The Best Linux?
- Can I run firefox, VLC player, iTunes, and Photoshop Cs3, Sony Vegas on there?
- Is it all free
- will it run better on windows on a slow computer (my Computer is somewhat crap)

Thanks!

-Ubuntu or anything Debian or Debian based.
-Firefox, VLC are available
-Photoshop CS2 works with Wine, CS3 is in the works
-Vegas in a no go, unless you use an older version, like version 5, but then you don't have the ability to preview. Or you could use MainActor v5.5.7, which I believe is the last version that was released, it has been discontinued but was pretty decent. It was closed source and cost $160+, I suggest finding a torrent and since no one is losing money on it, you'll be fine.
-Free, some companies charge for programs like Transgaming: Cedega
-Damn Small Linux - "Run light enough to power a 486DX with 16MB of Ram"..."Run fully in RAM with as little as 128MB (you will be amazed at how fast your computer can be!)" - from damnsmalllinux.org. Ubuntu (standard Ubuntu) "Ubuntu is available for PC, 64-Bit and Mac architectures. At least 256 MB of RAM is required to run the desktop install CD. Install requires at least 4 GB of disk space." - from ubuntu.com. The ubuntu install cd is a live cd, meaning you can run it and test it out before installing, running straight from the disk.

Edit:

The seller obviously hasn't used Linux. Those guys are almost always morons, and there is the proof of it in your statement.

ReactOS is like Windows 95...

Shrygue
March 19th, 2008, 18:54
Linux is ace - for me, especially Kubuntu or anything that uses the KDE desktop interface. Firefox is available for it along with other broswers like Opera and that. Now if I could be able to get my Creative Xtreme Sound card to work and make EAX effects work on Linux, I'll be ready to ditch Windows XP any day.

Eviltaco64
March 19th, 2008, 21:33

That was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard you say.

This is just one of many Linux distros (Debian Gnome):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=684OLRsTrrs

I'm not very experienced with Linux (I've only used it on my Xbox 1), but this CLEARLY shows you that Linux is not only efficient and fast (unlike Vista), but also features many 3D effects that Windows didnt feature until 2007.

There's several Linux distros out there as well (probably ones a lot better than this, like uBuntu and openSUSE) that dont need 2GB of ram to run efficiently yet somehow feature almost everything that Vista has (lacking some compatibility)

beetroot bertie
March 19th, 2008, 23:42
What about a Mac? Would you consider getting a new machine or just OS?

Most of the stuff you mentioned is available for Mac except the Sony Vegas. I guess it depends on what you want to use it for though as they're a bit pricey in comparison to most PCs. I've used 'em for about 12 years now and like them very much (if you haven't worked that out already :D)

Eviltaco64
March 20th, 2008, 00:01
Macs arent very customizable.
That's the thing I dont like about them.
But they are very good for media and graphic design, and Safari seems to be more secure than Internet Explorer.

the_eternal_dark
March 20th, 2008, 00:49
Linux is ace - for me, especially Kubuntu or anything that uses the KDE desktop interface. Firefox is available for it along with other broswers like Opera and that. Now if I could be able to get my Creative Xtreme Sound card to work and make EAX effects work on Linux, I'll be ready to ditch Windows XP any day.

Shrygue, are you referring to the XFI Xtreme? If so, I think there is a driver for it on their open source site, http://opensource.creative.com/soundcard.html, and there are also reports on getting it to work with ALSA as well, which look quite easy.

splodger15
March 20th, 2008, 15:26
Sorry to stel your thread Ninja but does anyone know if Microsoft Office works with Wine as that is the only program that is keeping me on Windows at the moment

Triv1um
March 20th, 2008, 16:37
Sorry to stel your thread Ninja but does anyone know if Microsoft Office works with Wine as that is the only program that is keeping me on Windows at the moment

OpenOffice is good, but i have heard 2003 can work. But only word and powerpoint.

But apparently Office 2000 works perfectly through WINE.

the_eternal_dark
March 20th, 2008, 18:01
OpenOffice is good, but i have heard 2003 can work. But only word and powerpoint.

But apparently Office 2000 works perfectly through WINE.

I got Excel to work for the most part (Office 2003). I dropped Office 2k3 in favor of the faster, less buggy OOo.

Splodger15, why not just go to Open Office? It's cheaper (free), and does exactly the same thing as Office and has much more formats to work with in comparison and is even compatible with MS Office's formats, like .doc, .ppt, .xls, and so on.

splodger15
March 20th, 2008, 19:09
Is there anything like Microsoft Expression web for Linux as I require it for my college work.

ExcruciationX
March 20th, 2008, 19:30
That's bullshit.

Linux is tons better then any windows (except maybe TinyXP).

Triv1um
March 20th, 2008, 19:40
That's bullshit.

Linux is tons better then any windows (except maybe TinyXP).

I disagree, while linux is good for most things. No distro can do all the things that Windows can do.

Saying "linux" is better makes no sence seeing that there is thousands of distros all over the place.

My favorite disto ubuntu, does most things that windows can do better, but windows can do much more. Also, its much more compatable.

Also, try gaming on Ubuntu... You cant play anything thats under "500" years old.

Sometimes you NEED Windows, thats why i ALWAYS suggest a dual boot if you going to go Linux.

Eviltaco64
March 20th, 2008, 19:46
I disagree, while linux is good for most things. No distro can do all the things that Linux can do.

Saying "linux" is better makes no sence seeing that there is thousands of distros all over the place.

My favorite disto ubuntu, does most things that windows can do better, but windows can do much more. Also, its much more compatable.

Also, try gaming on Ubuntu... You cant play anything thats under "500" years old.

Sometimes you NEED Windows, thats why i ALWAYS suggest a dual boot if you going to go Linux.
I agree. Dual-booting is the way to go.

the_eternal_dark
March 20th, 2008, 22:32

I disagree... I game all the time. WITHOUT Windows.

*Note, these are not my videos, only examples of what can be done. I don't play WoW, it's just an example for any fans of the game*

TF2
r88Mb_R5XpY

CoD4
jppZCA-BoXo

World of Warcraft (sucks, but people still like it)
DIzgUq4Lpa4

Guild Wars
yHuggOGvsgU

Half-Life 2 - but this guy didn't even set it up properly and it runs decently.
1nrx4-5ZVmg

Those don't strike me as ancient. And I haven't needed Windows in years.. Gaming is quite doable with Linux. Plus, Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil, Enemy Territory Quake Wars, and Quake 4 all have Linux native versions, which do run better than the Windows versions.

Splodger15, I don't know if it specifically works within Wine. If you can't get it to install via Wine, try using qemu, virtualbox(recommended), or vmware, along with a Windows XP or Vista install disk, and only use it for Expression. That way you can drop Windows and only use the vm for that one specific program. Check 09IbgYS7V-U , it should handle most of everything you could want to do in Windows (Expression works with this) with the coolness of open source.

Triv1um
March 20th, 2008, 22:48
Hmmm, okay you've sure shown me.

They werent running perfect, but im damn impressed.

JKKDARK
March 20th, 2008, 22:58
Windows is better, 90% of the market share can't be wrong

the_eternal_dark
March 20th, 2008, 22:58
Hmmm, okay you've sure shown me.

They werent running perfect, but im damn impressed.

It also depends on what setup you have as well. Most games run great for me. What would you call perfect, though? Also, LOL at dude playing CoD4.

Windows is better, 90% of the market share can't be wrong

90% of that 90% has never used anything but Windows, so they don't know any better. The other 10% are gameplaying fanboys.

NoQuarter
March 20th, 2008, 23:00
I also believe google donated a lot of money recently to the wine developers so that photoshop CS3 works :).

I have a 13 inch white macbook core2 duo, 2 gigabytes of ram, set up to dual boot osx and ubuntu.

Ubuntu is great, I also like slackware.It's good if you like getting your hands a little dirty,lol.Slackware and gentoo are also performance monsters.
Gentoo is NOT for the beginner though.

Seriously JKDARK,no firefox on linux?
That's some funny stuff,I actually thought you were joking at first!
Almost every distro comes with it,lol.

In my opinion linux/GNU beats windows in almost every way,If windows developers would open their code then it would completely shatter windows.

Microsux is on it's way down hill, mark my words...
Last I checked apple had 14% of new pc sales,osx is unix based anyway.
That large market share of windows is rapidly eroding.

Besides how many of you know that microsoft ripped off the basic design of windows?
Look it up.

JKKDARK
March 20th, 2008, 23:05
It also depends on what setup you have as well. Most games run great for me. What would you call perfect, though? Also, LOL at dude playing CoD4.

90% of that 90% has never used anything but Windows, so they don't know any better. The other 10% are gameplaying fanboys.

I tried Linux several times and then I had to kick the center of my ass several times for trying Linux.

the_eternal_dark
March 20th, 2008, 23:07
If windows developers would open their code then it would completely shatter windows.

They don't even have to open the source code, just port it and include the *nix installer on the same Windows install disks. It's not that hard to do, doesn't cost much of anything (a little time) and takes up slim to no space on the disks.

I tried Linux several times and then I had to kick the center of my ass several times for trying Linux.

And what didn't work for you?

NoQuarter
March 20th, 2008, 23:11
No offense but JKKDARK you suffer from the worst case of fanboyism ever.
Give reasons why you think its better,and if microsoft is so great how come their supposed "upgrade" Vista runs worse than its predecessor?
What kind of business sense does that make.Investigate why microsoft has such a large market share and you will see many unethical and illegal practices.Some of which microsoft has been in court over.

@Eternal Dark,I just like open source and think it's detrimental to our species to move in the other direction(proprietary).
*nix installers would be good though.

I used to use windows until I had my own "Tired of this..." experience about 3 years ago.I only used for 6 months though,long enough to know I needed something better.Something that doesn't give just any ol' app admin access, like Linux/GNU.
Macs are just sexy though,If you can get one!I love mine,I run ubuntu on it!!!
Not to mention you can triple boot XP,*nix and OSX.

the_eternal_dark
March 20th, 2008, 23:16
@Eternal Dark,I just like open source and think it's detrimental to our species to move in the other direction(proprietary).
*nix installers would be good though.

Proprietary software only works well in the game industry. ID software and Epic Games have very good, closed source games available for Linux, Mac, and Windows.

The other stuff, open source is the way to go. Except in the photo, sound, and video editing area, but I get by just fine with my open source tools though. Someone will always cry about that kind of stuff though.

Lol, don't even question JKK like that.

You know you are going to get a childish fanboy comment back.

And since when did cs3 run in WINE? :| What about CS2?

CS2, to my knowledge, is the latest one that works.

I see ICE has come to watch the circus.

Triv1um
March 20th, 2008, 23:16
Lol, don't even question JKK like that.

You know you are going to get a childish fanboy comment back.

And since when did cs3 run in WINE? :| What about CS2?

NoQuarter
March 20th, 2008, 23:22
May be my mistake,I use the GIMP anyway,lol.
I saw an article on digg or reddit a few weeks ago talking about google ,wine and photoshop.It may be CS2 or CS3,I dunno.

For free 3D modelling and animation, check out blender, it's freakin awesome and free.I don't really have any proprietary software to compare it to though.Did I say free, as in without stealing!?

the_eternal_dark
March 20th, 2008, 23:23
May be my mistake,I use the GIMP anyway,lol.
I saw an article on digg or reddit a few weeks ago talking about google ,wine and photoshop.It may be CS2 or CS3,I dunno.

CS2, mate. I use Gimp as well, some people just don't like it.

NoQuarter
March 20th, 2008, 23:26
Right on, my mistake :)
I have a friend who wont try the GIMP just because he's used photoshop so long.

Shrygue
March 20th, 2008, 23:26
Gimp huh? I've yet to use it myself as I'm not such a big artist myself. I just wonder if it's not too difficult to use. I'm still tuned into Paint from Windows 3.1 to be honest.

For me, well I have Wine installed to run Foobar 2000. I'll probably collect some other programs and see if they run in that too...

the_eternal_dark
March 20th, 2008, 23:30
NoQuarter, that's the problem with some people. They have become dependent on something for so long that they won't try anything new.

Shyrgue, what else are you looking for?

JKKDARK
March 20th, 2008, 23:33
The apps are different compared to Windows, their design and function are mediocre compraed to Windows.
The real good PC games are only released on Windows, so you have to use Wine and then waste more time. Also some games have a lot of issues, mainly my loved Phantasy Star Online (It uses GameGuard, which installs as a virtual driver in Windows, but Windows drivers don't work in Wine).
Same situation with emulators.

Shrygue
March 20th, 2008, 23:34
Oh really now? If you like Windows so much, why do you keep bashing Vista then? It's made my Microsoft too, you know.

Besides, Linux isn't all bad, you probably just need to learn to get used to using it. I've used Kubuntu for 5 days without switching to Windows at all this week - no problems at all on the draw.

NoQuarter
March 20th, 2008, 23:38
They are quite a few emu's for linux/GNU.Many available in the official repo's.I play genesis and several others on my install,most my emu's are on my psp though(I don't need much else for emulation,we have a bunch of old systems anyway).

the_eternal_dark
March 20th, 2008, 23:41
Shrygue, any way we could give ninja9393 back his topic?

Shrygue
March 20th, 2008, 23:44
Hmm, let's see... we shall continue the big OS discussion here:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2148037341#post2148037341

Apologies to ninja9393 for having your thread get taken over.

ninja9393
March 21st, 2008, 17:54
Hmm, let's see... we shall continue the big OS discussion here:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2148037341#post2148037341

Apologies to ninja9393 for having your thread get taken over.

lol, no problem