PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive Reveal: Guitar Hero DS

Shrygue
March 19th, 2008, 19:22
via IGN (http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/860/860511p1.html)

http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/860/860511/guitar-hero-ds-20080318012258886-000.jpg

More than a year ago, Activision revealed that the company was interested in branching its Guitar Hero franchise onto platforms such as the Nintendo DS. It's been a long wait, but the company has finally revealed exclusively to IGN and Yahoo the Guitar Hero game that will soon hit the dual-screen handheld later this year.

The Nintendo DS version -- Guitar Hero: On Tour -- is in development at Vicarious Visions, the team best known for the Tony Hawk and Spider-Man series on the dual-screen handheld, as well as the Nintendo Wii conversion of Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock released late last year. This portable version will feature the same rhythm-based "play to the music" gameplay of the big boys, and will even have its own peripheral to get the job done: Red Octane has developed what it's calling the Guitar Grip to give players the ability to finger chords in similar fashion as the console version's guitar peripheral.

The Guitar Grip will plug into the Game Boy Advance slot at the bottom of the Nintendo DS system. Players put their hand through the strap of the Guitar Grip for a firm hold on the system, and then position the system in its vertical book form. The peripheral has a storage area for a specially designed stlyus pick, which is used to strum the guitar strings on the touch-screen. As the notes slide down the screen, players strum the strings while pressing the corresponding fret buttons, all to the rhythm of the song that's being played. According to the video released by Activision, the microphone comes into play during songs -- we're guessing it'll be used as control to activate Guitar Hero's "Star Power" mode to increase the points multiplier.

JKKDARK
March 19th, 2008, 19:29
mm I don't like the way the buttons are ued, but sadly I don't think there's another way of using them.

Triv1um
March 19th, 2008, 19:32
Only 4? That would be too easy.

Anyway, it wont work effectivly, but as JKK said, there is no other way.

rudster
March 19th, 2008, 19:36
looks cool but not worth buying, i mean whos gonna go around with that big contraption on their ds lol

_X_Zero
March 19th, 2008, 19:44
i think i might check it out

mr game porter
March 19th, 2008, 19:54
im gonna get this. to bad there's only 4 buttons. and i dout you'l get a good grip of the ds. might drop it a couple of times :D

DimensionT
March 19th, 2008, 20:17
The buttons would be much better at the top of the DS, where the game goes in... With the screens rotated 90 degrees.

I'm amazed at how stupid and hard to play this looks.

wiggy fuzz
March 19th, 2008, 20:43
i can picture myself acidentally popping out the game cart with my finger

Eviltaco64
March 19th, 2008, 20:46
That's too odd for me to play.
I'll stick with console's for GH.
No, screw guitar hero, real guitar is where it's at.

Markzilla
March 19th, 2008, 22:51
I'll buy it.

ButterBeer121
March 19th, 2008, 23:35
The strumming sounds awkward, but either way, I'm still going to buy it.

kikaimaster
March 20th, 2008, 01:22
they fu*k up with this one, i bet a million ppl will pop the slot 1 cart with there thumb or finger
and wtf? 4 buttons? more like cheap bass hero

wiggy fuzz
March 20th, 2008, 08:43
my only gripe is how it'll sound with rock music. the ds hasn't got the best speakers in the world, and the music might sound horribly compressed (like in nfs pro street ds) and tinny. i wouldn't want that detracting from my experiences...

and i hope that add-on is free with the game.

Spidery_Yoda
March 22nd, 2008, 14:12
I don't know why everyone's being so harsh on this. It's a pretty impressive attempt at getting it working on the DS.

If it wasn't for the fact that it'll probably cost £50, i might get it.

Although, the first thing that popped into my head was 'i'll hit the slot 1 card straight away'. Hopefully they'll do something about that.

maiahee
March 22nd, 2008, 18:53
awesome.

Seven7
March 23rd, 2008, 00:15
I saw another picture of the actuall slot-2 unit, and it appears to have a riser of some kind over the slot-1 to prevent you accidently hitting the catrage. Depending on the price I may actually get this. I can't go over 4 keys anyway so the lack of a 5th key dosen't really bother me all that much.

robman84
March 23rd, 2008, 17:13
Looks like a laugh. A lot will depend on the sync between gaphics, sound and buttons. The slightest delay mucks things up big time. But if they make it too easy it will be naff.

Eviltaco64
March 23rd, 2008, 18:23
They should port Guitar Hero to PSP.
It would be much better then.

wiggy fuzz
March 23rd, 2008, 19:38
and plug an attachment where?

jcm4
March 24th, 2008, 20:23
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w106/Gaialover1992/PspGuitarHEro.jpg
haha

wiggy fuzz
March 24th, 2008, 22:25
*giggles uncontrollably*...

*falls on floor laughing*...

*still laughing after a tripple heart bypass*...

Tyler777
March 25th, 2008, 00:31
why not make a guitar for DS lmao with a cord that plugs into the GBA slot :/ i would pay for it lmao then they could use better GFX and no touch screen picking witch would seem hard if your used to 360 or ps2 guitar hero

wiggy fuzz
March 25th, 2008, 08:04
you know, activision could get people to use the guitar DS with the Wii console. an interesting proposition, the DS is underutilised in terms of Wii connectivity

jcm4
March 25th, 2008, 17:37
the DS is underutilised in terms of Wii connectivity

so sadly true.