PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo and MTV film helpful reminder: the Wii Wheel does absolutely nothing

Shrygue
March 19th, 2008, 20:04
via Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/19/western-digital-busts-out-two-platter-640gb-3-5-inch-hard-drives/)

We know, it's easy to get caught in all the magic that is Mario Kart Wii -- "it's like Smash Bros. but with karts and more banana throwing!" -- but let's not fool ourselves here: that Wii Wheel is potentially the least functional piece of plastic Nintendo has shipped since the Virtual Boy.

It apparently took the fine folks at MTV two whole videos to figure this out under the patient tutelage of a Nintendo rep, but while the Wii Wheel can potentially serve as a helpful reminder to hold the Wiimote with the buttons facing you, it adds zero functionality to the equation, and it's only therefore "necessary" for the first 30 seconds of play -- after which it can be tossed to your dog or teething child as a chew toy.

Some might appreciate the ratio of turning a full wheel instead of a Wiimote, but we all know the truly hardcore are going to be kicking your ass with their Wavebirds anyways, to the point really is moot. Video is after the break.

Clips at Engadget Spanish (http://es.engadget.com/2008/03/19/video-probando-el-wii-wheel-para-mario-kart-wii/)

acn010
March 19th, 2008, 20:08
lol. i knew it since the begining... same as other accesories like sword and shield, hammers. guns, etc

mickmos
March 19th, 2008, 21:05
It obvisily adds no more funtionally but it makes it more confortable and fun to use. The wii zapper does the same thing. You are getting the wheel for free stop complaining

Eviltaco64
March 19th, 2008, 21:14
Once again, as in Brawl, the Gamecube controller is considered the best thing to use xD

lipnox88
March 20th, 2008, 05:00
except no... in truth the wii wheel not only makes the game a whole lot easier to play overall but it adds a special button on the back to easily press B with the wheel. anyone who read this months nintendo power (April 08) will see the 10 page article about mario wii and its quite obvious that regardless of the wheel that you bought a wii for motion sensing, this game offers excellent use of that, the wheel takes veterans used to controllers a bit of time to get used to but the pay off is a much more rewarding and fun control scheme. This isn't hands on from me personally but I very much doubt the wii wheel does nothing. its the same as saying the perfect shot does nothing while playing ghost squad or house of the dead.

ICE
March 20th, 2008, 05:31
Crap now I dont want it.

wiggy fuzz
March 20th, 2008, 08:40
it's still free, so like the wii-zapper you get either a free back scratcher, a free beating stick or a free dogs toy.