PDA

View Full Version : SNES vs Megadrive

Eviltaco64
March 19th, 2008, 23:56
Just a brief description:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r256/MikeGarwood93/SegaGenesis.gif

Megadrive:
Released in 1989, it was a big advantage over the NES, and had many great games, but sales werent so great until the introduction of Sonic the Hedgehog in 1991.
Sales were neck-to-neck with the SNES for about 3 years until AAA games like Super Metroid and Donkey Kong Country really proved what the SNES was capable of. Even after it began to show it's age, it still had some untapped power, and games like Ristar and the Vectorman series were released and really showcased the Genesis' power. It had two redesigns over time The 3rd one being compact, rare, and incompatible with the add-ons). It was discontinued in 1997 and is considered to be one of the best consoles ever made.

Sold best in: Europe and Brazil

Recommended Games: Sonic series, Phantasy Star Series, Gunstar Heroes, Ristar, Vectorman, Street Fighter II (Better than the SNES version imo), Strider, The Revenge of Shinobi, Golden Axe, and many more.

Add-ons include:
Sega CD - Mega CD in Europe and Japan. A CD add-on released in 1991 (1992 outside Japan), sales were never very high, but this add-on features many classic gems still unreleased on modern day consoles. It featured one redesign(the first was a CD addon that was put under the Genesis Model 1, the second was one that was put on a docking station with the Genesis model 2). It was discontinued in 1995.

Recommended games: SONIC CD, Lunar Series, Snatcher, AVOID FMV games, they're absolute shit.

Sega 32X - A 32-bit adaptor released in 1994 that featured a library of about 45 games. A lot of these games were ports of Genesis games with enhanced colors and a few more sound effects (e.g. Mortal Kombat II). The 32X was deemed unsuccessful by many companies before it was released because the upcoming release of the Saturn and the fact that it came out after the Saturn in Japan. It was discontinued by 1996, with many cancelled titles and Darxide being it's last release.

Recommended games: Mortal Kombat II (graphical improvement over the Genesis version), Knuckles' Chaotix (probably best titile on 32X), Virtua Racing DX, Star Wars Arcade.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r256/MikeGarwood93/SuperNES.gif

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System, released in 1990 (1991-1993 out of Japan), is considered Nintendo's best console yet. It's first major hit, Super Mario World, put it right up there with Sonic because of the fame and popularity Mario had gained during the NES days. SNES showed that it was superior to the Genesis in it's early days, but Genesis still was in the lead. In 1993, Nintendo approached Argonaut Games, who then produced the Super FX chip which showcased the SNES's power even more with basic 3D and lush 2D environments. And, as mentioned above, was tied with Sega until about 1994 when many more great titles were released that showed the SNES was more promising at the time. It featured one redesign (known as SNES 2 and bundled with Mario World 2), and was discontinued in 1999 and is considered by many (especially in the US) to be the best console ever made.

Sold best in: North America and Japan

Recommended Games: Mario World 1 and 2, Mario Kart, Starfox 1 and 2 (Japanese betas surface on the internet), Final Fantasy(IV-VI), Star Ocean, Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 (I hate 3, i dont know why), Megaman 7-X3, Kirby Superstar.

Add-ons:
Sony's SNES CD addon. Cancelled in 1992 which prompted Sony to make the Playstation.

Phillips' SNES CD addon. Also cancelled. But Phillips did get a special license from Nintendo to make Zelda and Mario games, which are considered to be the worst in their respectable timelines.

BS-X: Available in Japan only. Nintendo broadcasted many games (i.e. Link to the Past's sequel and many Zelda 1 remakes) through satellite to these users. These games are considered to be the rarest and most hard to find versions of games (F-Zero 2, Excitebike feat. 16-bit Mario characters) considering the fact that they were never released again.

That was a brief review of these wonderful consoles (written by Eviltaco64!).

Now tell me, what is your preference? Vote now!

Shrygue
March 19th, 2008, 23:58
Sega Megadrive/Genesis is what I picked, I liked Sonic 3 and Knuckles a lot.

Eviltaco64
March 19th, 2008, 23:59
It was a tough choice, but I chose the Genesis.
It was what I used to play a lot more than the SNES in my younger days.

Triv1um
March 20th, 2008, 00:00
I really dislike the SNES, and love the MegaDrive :D

Easy choice, Sega FTW.

Eviltaco64
March 20th, 2008, 00:03
Yeah, I loved the Sonic series a lot back in my younger days and can still pick up a controller and play those games while Mario World has seemed kind of...stale? for many years now.

Sonicboy 101
March 20th, 2008, 00:07
Megadrive without a doubt - Purely for one reason.

Sonic The Hedgehog. :)

Eviltaco64
March 20th, 2008, 00:08
The man speaks the truth!

beetroot bertie
March 20th, 2008, 00:16
I'm going the other way on this and plumping for the SNES. Yeah sure Sonic was good but come on, the SNES had Mario Kart, Super Mario World, Starwing/Starfox, International Superstar Soccer, Super Probotector/Contra 3, Street Fighter 2, Legend Of The Mystical Ninja etc. Did you try playing SF2 on the Megadrive 3 button pad? Pah I say, pah!

At the time SF2 on the SNES was pure awesomeness. I remember piling round to a friends house after school to play it and I was totally blown away, it was like having an arcade in your house! That coupled with the games I mentioned above swing it for me big time. Oh well, each to their own :)

acn010
March 20th, 2008, 00:27
snes has my my vote....
reason was cause of the games it has...

especially metroid :)

Eviltaco64
March 20th, 2008, 00:28
I'm going the other way on this and plumping for the SNES. Yeah sure Sonic was good but come on, the SNES had Mario Kart, Super Mario World, Starwing/Starfox, International Superstar Soccer, Super Probotector/Contra 3, Street Fighter 2, Legend Of The Mystical Ninja etc. Did you try playing SF2 on the Megadrive 3 button pad? Pah I say, pah!

At the time SF2 on the SNES was pure awesomeness. I remember piling round to a friends house after school to play it and I was totally blown away, it was like having an arcade in your house! That coupled with the games I mentioned above swing it for me big time. Oh well, each to their own :)

Street Fighter games on SNES didnt rub me the right way. I just didnt like the music. Also, it was really easy to get used to pressing start to switch between punches and kicks..OR you could get the 6-button pad...

dejkirkby
March 20th, 2008, 05:11
I voted for Megadrive for one reason.
The Immortal.
Nuff said.

Mark30001
March 20th, 2008, 05:17
All bunch of Sega fanboys!

I chose a SNES bundled with Donkey Kong Country over a Sega Genesis bundled with Sonic years ago at Circuit City. http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i107/mark30001/mrgreen.gif

the_eternal_dark
March 20th, 2008, 07:18
especially metroid :)

:D That's what got my vote.

mesosade
March 20th, 2008, 08:02
My "JKKDARK is going to hijack this thread" senses are tingling.

JKKDARK
March 20th, 2008, 11:41
Sega does what Nintendon't

beetroot bertie
March 20th, 2008, 14:09
Like failing to do anything good with it's lead mascot for years ;P

I don't have owt against Sega. I love my Dreamcast. I guess it depends on the games you liked the most. I had more fun on a SNES, although Streets Of Rage 2 was great on the Mega Drive.

JKKDARK
March 20th, 2008, 14:17
Like failing to do anything good with it's lead mascot for years ;P

Sonic The Hedgehog games on Genesis/Megadrive had excellent reviews and sold as they were expected.
How can you say they failed to do anything good?

beetroot bertie
March 20th, 2008, 14:45
I didn't mean back then. I'm refering to what they've done with the mascot since the glory 16bit days. Nintendo have managed generally speaking to produce pretty consistently good Mario games whilst Sega's Sonic games have been a right mixed bag. That I guess is what i was trying to say :)

JKKDARK
March 20th, 2008, 14:51
I really don't care about the later Sonic The Hedgehog games, that's for another topic.

Eviltaco64
March 20th, 2008, 16:06
SNES was awesome too.
I just had Genesis before it and more fond memories of the Genesis come to mind.

acn010
March 20th, 2008, 16:22
the most i played on the snes was super metroid, killer instinct, super mario world 2, spider man separation ax.... and some game boy games with the adapter

Eviltaco64
March 20th, 2008, 16:24
the most i played on the snes was super metroid, killer instinct, super mario world 2, spider man separation ax.... and some game boy games with the adapter

Well, I have to agree, Super Metroid was an absolute masterpiece.
I never got into KI and never liked Mario World 2.
The only Spiderman game I ever played for SNES was Maximum Carnage, which is a suprisingly great game!

acn010
March 20th, 2008, 16:27
i also remember gooftroop lol!!
great times.... great time-......

Eviltaco64
March 20th, 2008, 16:29
I never knew how to play that Goof Troop game lol. I remember finding a fishhook and and hitting people with it lol.

acn010
March 20th, 2008, 16:35
lol
i also remember having other games but i forgot... but the most that i played is teenage mutant ninja turtle series... i was a fan of the mother****ing turtles.... the new animated series is a bummer...
oh also remember that i had a game with cowboys shooting at enemies... anyone knows about it???

Eviltaco64
March 20th, 2008, 16:37
lol
i also remember having other games but i forgot... but the most that i played is teenage mutant ninja turtle series... i was a fan of the mother****ing turtles.... the new animated series is a bummer...
oh also remember that i had a game with cowboys shooting at enemies... anyone knows about it???

It was called Cowboy Bebop goes West 2
And yes, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were a lot better in the 80s/early 90s then this modern 4Kids shit.

Turtles in Time Arcade :thumbup:!

acn010
March 20th, 2008, 16:39
OHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! THATS THE ONE!!!! TURTLES IN TIME!!!!! I LOVE THAT ONE!!!

you fail man... that wasnt the one

Eviltaco64
March 20th, 2008, 16:40

I was kidding, I dont think there was ever a Cowboy Bebop goes west game lol

Edit: Anyone remember Revenge of Shinobi?
I loved that game! :thumbup:

acn010
March 20th, 2008, 17:28
for genesis, yes

Eviltaco64
March 20th, 2008, 21:11
Voice your opinion in the polls!

Triv1um
March 20th, 2008, 21:15
Anyone remember Revenge of Shinobi?
I loved that game! :thumbup:

Haha, indeed.. I also loved it.

I cant remeber much of it though, i havent played my MD is years.

I always play my SMS though :D

Eviltaco64
March 20th, 2008, 21:17
Haha, indeed.. I also loved it.

I cant remeber much of it though, i havent played my MD is years.

I always play my SMS though :D

I never really got into the Master System, probably because the obscurity of it over here in the US.
But I've heard that it has many classics.

Christuserloeser
March 20th, 2008, 21:37
It does. Try Power Strike II, Psycho Fox, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Golvellius, Golden Axe Warrior, Asterix, Phantasy Star, Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap, Cyborg Hunter, Land of Illusion, Legend of Illusion, Kenseiden, Master of Darkness, Fantasy Zone, Psychic World, Quartet, Ashura, Solomon's Key, Submarine Attack, Ys : Vanished Omen, Zillion, etc., etc.

One of the most interesting things about the Master System would be the very first Sonic The Hedgehog game, which actually is better than the Mega Drive / Genesis original. It starts like a 8-bit clone in stage 1, but then turns into an entirely different game in stage 2...

Triv1um
March 20th, 2008, 22:29
Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap

Eviltaco, If you never played this.

Go out and buy it!

Its my no.1 game of all time.

Eviltaco64
March 21st, 2008, 01:04
You've inspired me!
Ill get a Master System emulator for my Xbox and enjoy some classic 8-bit gems I've never heard of!

One of the most interesting things about the Master System would be the very first Sonic The Hedgehog game, which actually is better than the Mega Drive / Genesis original. It starts like a 8-bit clone in stage 1, but then turns into an entirely different game in stage 2...

Ive played the original 8-bit Sonic games. How are they better then their 16-bit variations?

SnesR0X
March 21st, 2008, 20:15
The Snes is infinitely better than the Genesis.
Forever.

Eviltaco64
March 21st, 2008, 20:24
Wow, SnesR0X voted for SNES?
Unbelievable!

Kaiser
March 21st, 2008, 22:55
Sega does what nintendon't

... and whoever brought up the master system discussion I tip my hat to you. A great console as well.

Eviltaco64
March 21st, 2008, 23:31
Sega does what nintendon't

... and whoever brought up the master system discussion I tip my hat to you. A great console as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7nsBoqJ6s8

GENESIS...DOES!

mike_jmg
March 22nd, 2008, 08:10
Snes forever

I had no Idea the Sega megadrive even existed at that time, here in my country was very rare that someone had one.

I know of a friend that has one, but some games he had where bad ports from the snes with less buttons. So I was like meh!

Also I've never really liked any sonic games

Sorry for the sega fans, wich I believe in this forum are a lot but snes will always be best

The dreamcast was a great console for its time, I think that the only mistake sega did was having bad timing for their releases

I know wich one you're talking about it was Sunset Riders, was a nice game

I remembered the old times of playing Street Fighter Alpha 2, Dragon Ball Z 3, Killer instinct, Mortal Kombat 2 and a lot more fighting games against my friends

I had some sweet games at that time

WhizzBang
March 22nd, 2008, 09:10
At the time I preferred the Mega Drive, but today with emulation I find I prefer the SNES and so don't bother with Mega Drive emulation much.

acn010
March 22nd, 2008, 12:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kle0vau26xQ&feature=related
lol i love lesbians XD
also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX4MdXF3OWI&feature=related lol

and i love this one XD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_THzWegFMw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAyan9pysf8&feature=related

Eviltaco64
March 22nd, 2008, 16:40
Hahaha, that third one with the Japanese kids running was great

acn010
March 22nd, 2008, 16:54
lol i know... hey im starting the metroid project now....
iv seen one engine that might help me ALOT WAY better than my engine! lol
visit please xanga.com/acn010

Eviltaco64
April 8th, 2008, 01:58
Just bumping.
After all, this poll doesnt close until the 19th!

gdf
April 10th, 2008, 00:29
SNES overall had better games, just a huge, brilliant selection, and for that I'd say it's my favourite console ever.

Yobumtin
April 18th, 2008, 18:44
I pick SNES over Genesis because of the great RPGs it had. Genesis had Revenge of Shinobi, Ristar, Sonic, and many other really fun games. SNES wins because I played my SNES to its death. Donkey Kong, Mario World 1 and 2, Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy are big games that I won't forget.

Eviltaco64
April 18th, 2008, 20:25
Yeah, I agree with you.
Although I prefer the Genesis, SNES rocked.
Although I hate Yoshi's Island.

BTW, THIS POLL CLOSES IN A FEW MORE HOURS! VOTE!

ninja9393
April 19th, 2008, 19:48
SNES

Metroid Mario Zelda

nuff said

Eviltaco64
April 19th, 2008, 22:06
SNES

Metroid Mario Zelda

nuff said

Fair enough.

Eviltaco64
April 19th, 2008, 22:11
I guess the Mega Drive wins.

I'd say the only reason it did is because this forum is out of England.

Either way they both rock (I voted for the Genesis myself).

Triv1um
April 20th, 2008, 01:02
The best machine won. :P

dejkirkby
April 20th, 2008, 11:41
Exactly what Triv1um said.
Megadrive rocked!

Eviltaco64
April 20th, 2008, 16:47
Yeah I was a BIG sonic fan

JKKDARK
April 20th, 2008, 17:23
Yeah I was a BIG sonic fan

No, you are.

gdf
April 21st, 2008, 22:52
Gah, poor taste.

Shows how close fought a console war it was.

JKKDARK
April 21st, 2008, 22:56
You forgot to put the PC-Engine, which had good games and sold well.

Eviltaco64
April 21st, 2008, 23:20
Yeah, I also forgot the Neo Geo.
Im gonna remake that poll in a little while.