PDA

View Full Version : VisMP3 Media Library / Visualizer

wraggster
March 21st, 2008, 09:42
arpaagent (http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,4982.0.html) has posted an entry into the Neoflash Coding Comp:

Nickname: arpaagent
Projet name : VisMP3
Division : PSP APP
Original enter : YES
Support Motion : NO
In last NEO Compo this project have won in the top 10 : NO

Project description:
VisMP3 is an alternative to the lackluster built-in music player on the PSP. Although it only supports decoding of mp3 formatted files at this time, VisMP3 offers some important features that Sony could not fit into flash0, namely a media library that organizes mp3s (regardless of folder setup)as well as playlist functionality. Also, as indicated by the name, VisMP3 demonstrates several different types of visualizations for a visual as well as audio experience. The Fireworks visualization is a MUST SEE.

SCREENSHOTS down a few posts. Check them out.

Features:
* Developed for 3.x kernel (I am using 3.72), Works for Phat and Slim
* Automatic detection of MP3 files in a folder and its subfolders (specified in config)
* Hardware decoding of mp3 files
* Parsing of ID3v1 and ID3v2 information used to build media library
* Media Library accessed through Artist, Album, and Genre categories
* Creation of playlists from media library items, easy to add full albums or single songs
* Playlists are number 0-98 and can save/load from the program
* Skinnable (background image and UI colors chosen while running)
* Supports Sony remote control for playback control
* Smart Random (no repeats) and Linear playback of playlists
* Four different visualizers (for now...will be more to come), all with runtime adjustable properties:
* Spectrum Analyzer
* "Boom Box" (boxes flying across the screen with visually stimulating "thumps"
* Fireworks that explode with the beats of the song, with colors correspdonding to frequency ranges
* Oscilloscope-style view of sample data
* Allows background visualizations while navigating media library, playlist, etc
* Font support for loading pgfs (not available to the user yet, but uses system fonts to look nice)
* Also supports simple bitmap style font for faster rendering

Future Plans
* Full support for skinning and themes (including rearrangeable UI parts and fonts)
* Addition of supported formats (audio + video)
* More, Better, Cooler visualizations
* Better playlist editing and functionality

Edited:

ZIP file has been released! Please everyone try it out and let me know what you think (good OR bad). Be sure to check out the readme in the zip.

Just extract the VisMP3 file into your ms0:/PSP/GAME directory, put some mp3z (would be good if they have id3 info in them) in ms0:/MUSIC and you should be good to go!!

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

strikingeuphony
March 21st, 2008, 15:22
I think this is a really great app. It just lacks a few things.

1.An option in the program to specifically pick where the location of MP3's are. I still use DJPSP for it's equalizer and it picks up tracks from ms0/psp/music.

2. Playback by folder name. Not everybody has their MP3's set up with artist, album, genre, year, ect. A basic playback function by folder name would be nice. You should also add playback by file name as well(allow it seach in folders where the music directory is specified).

3.Make an option to search on the memory card for a specific background pic. Allow it to reshape images to fit the interface in case images aren't 480X272.

I'm not ragging on you, this is a really great app for MP3's It shows a lot of promise. Implement an equalizer and you've got me sold. :thumbup:

bacalacadaca
March 21st, 2008, 19:44
yeah its pretty cool i like how it organizes the music and all but visuals can be better.

I would stil use this app instead of the regular psp's music player because of how it organizes

arpaagent
March 21st, 2008, 20:15
at strikingeuphony:

Thanks for the criticism! Greatly appreciated and I will certainly consider these as i improve the program.

However, your issue #1 is possible. If you run the program once, then connect psp to a computer and open the VisMP3 directory, there should be a file Config.ini. Here you can specify the directory that the program picks up the music from.

I may add it later as a property that can be changed frm within the app, but i didn't want too much to change while it was running, so i left it as a config.

Also, about the playback from folder. That is a great idea, and I'll see if i can get that added in for a later release. And image resizing should be a big deal either, so long as it is a png (cause i'm just using libpng for the image stuff)

strikingeuphony
March 23rd, 2008, 13:43
at strikingeuphony:

Thanks for the criticism! Greatly appreciated and I will certainly consider these as i improve the program.

However, your issue #1 is possible. If you run the program once, then connect psp to a computer and open the VisMP3 directory, there should be a file Config.ini. Here you can specify the directory that the program picks up the music from.

I may add it later as a property that can be changed frm within the app, but i didn't want too much to change while it was running, so i left it as a config.

Also, about the playback from folder. That is a great idea, and I'll see if i can get that added in for a later release. And image resizing should be a big deal either, so long as it is a png (cause i'm just using libpng for the image stuff)

Thank you for listening to my suggestions. I've been using your app a little more lately and I thought I'd tell you about a bug with changing the background image. The program freezes when you change the background image and leave the image preview on when another image is present. Also, my songs don't keep playing if more than song is present. This app needs a repeat all and repeat 1 function. Is it possible to include and option to double the font size of font on the displayed song name being played and the time? This app has some cool stuff to change the color of everything, it would be nice to be able to see the effects of doing this on those things in the display(they are so small, they get lost if you have the Spectrum enabled IMO). Is there going to be a fast forward or reverse funtion made?

arpaagent
March 24th, 2008, 06:14
VisMP3v0.1.2 Released!!
Hey Everyone! I have still been updating my program and wanted to drop a new release on the Forum. It fixes several bugs and adds a few very useful options (for full changes download and see the readme):

Important Additions
* Added Option to increase the size of the currently playing song. Look in the Theme options.
* Includes a simple theme I created with background picture and all setting included in the .zip
* Added control of CPU clock speed. Music plays down to 19 Mhz!! (for cpu speed, the bus speed goes down to 95, that's the lowest allowed). Now you can get more out of your PSP's battery!! If you are using a low clock speed, be sure to use simple fonts with no background or the UI will be slow.
* Simple text now has larger version to match pgf font (for list Title, etc)
* Color choice for Fonts now shows a color box instead of changing the item color, which makes it easier to read and also see the color
* Ability to change the media library directory from within the Library options menu
Important Bugfixes
* Playlist now advances correctly after text has faded.
* Playlist control keys no longer affect fade state
* Fixed some bugs in the playlist advancement algorithm
* Changing background while drawing background no longer crashes program

A couple shots from the new program
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/5151/screen02uz4.jpg
What my theme looks like.

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/3314/screen01cz8.jpg
Showing how the clock is set.

Latest Version!!!
VisMP3v0.1.2 (http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jbashcra/VisMP3v0.1.2.zip)

Also on Neoflash forum:
Neoflash Forum (http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,4982.msg34106.html#msg34106)

Just extract the VisMP3 file into your ms0:/PSP/GAME directory, put some mp3z (would be good if they have id3 info in them) in ms0:/MUSIC and you should be good to go!! See the readme for additional info.