PDA

View Full Version : OpenTyrian DS v0.1

wraggster
March 21st, 2008, 20:45
News/release from thedopefish (http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=15239&sid=a3590b3669941c925ce3d8162961649d)

This is a port of Tyrian for the Nintendo DS.

It's based on OpenTyrian, which is a ground-up rewrite in C using SDL, using the original DOS source as a reference. Many thanks to the OpenTyrian team for all their hard work.

The original game data (artwork, etc.) from the v2.1 registered version is now freely distributable, and are included with the main download package. These files will not change with future versions of OpenTyrianDS, so after you've downloaded them once, you can just grab the .NDS file for new releases and save some bandwidth.

This is currently a work in progress. Newest version is 0.1 (released Mar 21, 2008).

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Sir_Voe
March 21st, 2008, 21:40
Glad I didn't overlook this, cause it's really very fun. Any fan of classic vertical shooters needs to try this.

shatteredsnow
March 21st, 2008, 22:14
I cant believe I didnt think of this earlier. Wow thanks you so much for porting my favorite oldschool game.

Cimi
March 21st, 2008, 23:55
I have an Amiga-like error on startup (guru meditation error)
R4 1.17

shatteredsnow
March 22nd, 2008, 00:34
Guru meditaion error! data abort!

That really sucks. I wanted to play this.

MagnumKain
March 22nd, 2008, 00:43
The link on this page doesn't include the data files, so DL it from http://vespenegas.com/opentyriands.zip

noname1
March 22nd, 2008, 02:15
THIS IS AMAZING!!! i have waited for so long for a port of tyrian for the ds and now there is one.

P.S: My english is bad

Cevius
March 22nd, 2008, 12:02
The link on this page doesn't include the data files, so DL it from http://vespenegas.com/opentyriands.zip

Thanks MagnumKain!

I was hoping for a DS release of Tyrian, one of my most well loved games from when I was a kid...

Now to see how well it works!

[Edit]

It plays quite well! Sometimes the sound/music doesn't play, it can bog down a little bit when too many splosions are happening at once, though turning it to low and slower helps to keep it smooth.

I wonder if the destruct minigame is still there to be unlocked :D

Besides the sound and the occasional lag, its just like I remembered it.

noname1
March 22nd, 2008, 13:34
It works flawless on my M3 Perfect SD but i have a problem.
If i load a game i get the guru meditation error.
Also i can't patch my flascard because it won't work if i do that.

P.S: my english is bad

iofthestorm
March 23rd, 2008, 00:48
Awesome, I loved Tyrian back then and could never get it to work on Windows. Can't wait to see what the future holds for this project, it's already pretty perfect at version 0.1. Multiplayer support would be awesome of course, but that's hard since you need two people with homebrew DSs.

williew705
March 23rd, 2008, 09:11
Impressive. I wonder if anyone will ever make a port of Dos box for the NDS?

Penguinator
March 23rd, 2008, 10:05
Great work!
Runs quite nicely.

Gideon007
March 23rd, 2008, 19:49
Thanks, great work. I always loved this game! When you add the cheats and the ability to save I'm really happy.
Also, on my M3 Real, I get the guru meditation error on exit.
Edit: saw on the homepage that this is a known error. Sorry.

Xgen001
March 24th, 2008, 06:44
sweet. but i've already played and beaten the psp port of opentyrian.

crookedmouth
March 24th, 2008, 23:46
Impressive. I wonder if anyone will ever make a port of Dos box for the NDS?

It's been mentioned that perhaps an IBMXT could be emulated, so maybe a DoSbox286. I don't think a 386 would be possible.

DanTheManMS
March 25th, 2008, 00:26
I'm actually playing with GPF's port of DOSBox right now. It runs REALLY slowly. I haven't been able to get anything to run aside from a test batch file and a DOS Tetris game (which I'm not entirely sure how to control for that matter).

Possible, just not playable, hence why it wasn't really released to the public.

Gideon007
March 25th, 2008, 19:28
OT: I'd be most interested in an Exult port (http://exult.sf.net) (it plays Ultima 7)

crookedmouth
March 25th, 2008, 23:56
I'm actually playing with GPF's port of DOSBox right now. It runs REALLY slowly. I haven't been able to get anything to run aside from a test batch file and a DOS Tetris game (which I'm not entirely sure how to control for that matter).

Possible, just not playable, hence why it wasn't really released to the public.

I shouldn't have said "not possible". There was a DS emulator for the PSP, wasn't there?
I mean wouldn't a Sega Saturn emulator be possible, just not playable on the DS, for instance?

DanTheManMS
March 26th, 2008, 01:32
I wasn't really trying to refute what you said or anything. Just pointing out that it runs really slowly.

Also, VisiCalc can apparently run on this thing, which is pretty cool. No keys aside from up/down/left/right and Enter, but it works at least.

crookedmouth
March 26th, 2008, 04:07
I wasn't really trying to refute what you said or anything. Just pointing out that it runs really slowly.

Also, VisiCalc can apparently run on this thing, which is pretty cool. No keys aside from up/down/left/right and Enter, but it works at least.

So no virtual keyboard?

DanTheManMS
March 26th, 2008, 04:25
Not that I can tell. ABXY do enter some letters, though they appear to be arbitrary. Either that or there's an actual method of entering letters with the ABXY buttons that I can't figure out.