PDA

View Full Version : DC Projects -> PSP?

warmtoe
March 23rd, 2008, 12:48
I've just got myself a PSP Slim & Lite (well, I'll let myself have it on my birthday!)... anyway, I hadn't realised that there was a homebrew community for it.

I have a couple of DC games that I'd like to port to the PSP, I wondered whether anyone has done the leg work before - converting a KOS based DC project to the PSP?

I'm interested in anything that'd give me a head-start.

darkriku2000
March 23rd, 2008, 14:42
I don't think there has been one yet, theres always google though

JKKDARK
March 23rd, 2008, 14:48
I don't think there are homebrew projects ported from Dreamcast. Anyway, try the homebrew games/emulators from the lists on the PSP front site (http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/)

bacalacadaca
March 23rd, 2008, 19:29
i thought i had seen someone with the pic of your sig and crossed out jkkdark

BlackAura
April 3rd, 2008, 15:37
(little on the late side here)

Same deal here - there's some DC stuff I've got that I'd like to port over to the PSP as well.

As far as I can tell, the PSP has it's own operating system, so something like KOS isn't required. Nor is is possible to bypass the operating system in most cases - homebrew stuff runs in user mode, so has no direct hardware access except through the kernel. That rules out porting KOS, or adapting any part of the PSP's operating system.

I think it depends on which aspects of KOS the software uses. Any core stuff that uses ANSI C or standard C++ stuff should be OK, but file I/O that uses the native KOS fs API probably won't, for example.

As for things like video support, I don't see those being at all easy. I think anything that uses the DC's PVR will have to be rewritten entirely, for example. I suppose it might be possible to implement parts of parallax or tsunami in terms of the PSP's rendering API (kind of like Dan Potter's implementation of same for Mac OS X), but I don't think anyone's done it.

Strange. The overlap between the DC and PSP homebrew coders seems to be virtually zero.

h4s30
May 22nd, 2008, 01:01
sega fails end of story eat your keyboards.....